1 2 3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 2:29 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

It may be, Ford is fuzzy on that. There's obviously way more to the package then that though

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
5/10/11 2:33 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: along with the car's slimmed-down curb weight of less than 3,500 pounds.

I was going to ask.... but 3500#s.... really??? I was also going to ask what is the real world gas mileage.... real world as in the actual mileage people, for example many in this thread who will buy this car - will get??

Javelin
5/10/11 2:35 p.m.

3500 is fly-weight for pony cars man! The Challenger and Camaro are both well north of 4,000.

The next Mustang is supposedly even smaller and lighter, which would be freaking awesome as it's size is pretty much the only thing holding me back from a Boss 302 now that I have money.

Javelin
5/10/11 2:40 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I thought in going to the 8.8" rear diff for the V6, all Mustangs had LSD stock. Is that not correct?

Just found it. LSD is not standard. It is available as a $395 stand-alone option.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/10/11 2:41 p.m.
Javelin wrote: now that I have money.

You have money? Can I have some? I'll trade you this child's toothbrushing timer...

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/10/11 2:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: 3500 is fly-weight for pony cars man! The Challenger and Camaro are both well north of 4,000. The next Mustang is supposedly even smaller and lighter, which would be freaking awesome as it's size is pretty much the only thing holding me back from a Boss 302 now that I have money.

Don't let that stop you. A co-worker just ordered a Boss 302...can't wait to check it out. They are incredible cars.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 2:49 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: You have money? Can I have some? I'll trade you this child's toothbrushing timer...

You are really pimping that tooth brush timer.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/10/11 2:57 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
tuna55 wrote: You have money? Can I have some? I'll trade you this child's toothbrushing timer...
You are really pimping that tooth brush timer.

Yes. What else should I do with it? My kid brushes his teeth for an hour if I let him.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
5/10/11 3:04 p.m.

My '05 GT 5spd with all the options goes 3400# without the jack & spare - or my fat butt. FWIW I get a shade over 20 mpg in mixed daily driving, but that's on a custom tune running premium. the factory tune wasn't quite as good on mpg.

and no, I'm not interested in trading for a toothbrush timer.....

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
5/10/11 3:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The next Mustang is supposedly even smaller and lighter, which would be freaking awesome as it's size is pretty much the only thing holding me back from a Boss 302 now that I have money.

The size bugs me as well. And the "sitting in a cave" feeling when behind the wheel. "Thata righta front fenda'... she's a outta 'dere somewhere..." We looked at these at the NY auto show and I have to admit it was a bit of a let-down... I had this closet-dream of playing in D-Stock... although I definitely wouldn't be looking forward to $1200 sets of A6's...

miatame
miatame HalfDork
5/10/11 3:29 p.m.

The high belt line looks cool but it is terrible for seeing stuff while driving. I seriously don't know how you'd see a cone let alone the road driving a new Camaro.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 3:32 p.m.
miatame wrote: The high belt line looks cool but it is terrible for seeing stuff while driving. I seriously don't know how you'd see a cone let alone the road driving a new Camaro.

"The car goes where the eyes go."

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 3:51 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
miatame wrote: The high belt line looks cool but it is terrible for seeing stuff while driving. I seriously don't know how you'd see a cone let alone the road driving a new Camaro.
"The car goes where the eyes go."

About 30,000 feet and climbing??? I am 6'4" hit my head in the Camaro and still can't see out the friggin' thing. I can see up but not out!

Javelin
5/10/11 4:05 p.m.

Agreed. The Camaro is a freaking bunker. The Mustang is not as bad, but is still more like driving an APC than the old fox body.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
5/10/11 4:09 p.m.

Some one NEEDS to do a comparison between a standard GT and a V6 with this package and a few other goodies. I think Ford has turned the V6 mustang into a very appealing car and i am very curious how much slower it would be around a track, at the strip, and zooming around cones.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
5/10/11 4:16 p.m.
JohnGalt wrote: Some one NEEDS to do a comparison between a standard GT and a V6 with this package and a few other goodies. I think Ford has turned the V6 mustang into a very appealing car and i am very curious how much slower it would be around a track, at the strip, and zooming around cones.

The issue with that is that the V6 has a ~114mph speed governor. There's a lot of comparisons that have been thrown off because of it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
5/10/11 4:23 p.m.
Javelin wrote: 3500 is fly-weight for pony cars man! The Challenger and Camaro are both well north of 4,000.

If I'm not mistaken my 1970 Mach1 428SCJ was about that.... It has been a few years since I unloaded it, but 3500# seems to sound familiar... No??

And 4000 #s is just crazy....

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
5/10/11 5:21 p.m.
JohnGalt wrote: Some one NEEDS to do a comparison between a standard GT and a V6 with this package and a few other goodies. I think Ford has turned the V6 mustang into a very appealing car and i am very curious how much slower it would be around a track, at the strip, and zooming around cones.

Inside Line already did a V-6 vs. GT vs. Boss vs. Shelby comparo:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2011/2011-ford-mustang-track-shoot-out.html

I like the Mayhem Package back when it was still called the plain-Jane Handling Package, but their rarity and the 19" wheels are causes for concern. I would like to test-drive a Mayhem-package Mustang before deciding to buy one but the closest I can find to MA is in PA and has a bunch of factory ricer mods. If I bought it I would like to drive it in Stock or Street Tire class but there are no 19" R-comps or Extreme High Performance tires (i.e. Dunlop Star Spec). The same tire problem exists with the Hyundai Genesis R-Spec and possibly with the Scion FT-whatever (esp. since kidz liek me luv dem dubz).

I'm thinking of submitting a proposal to SCCA: If a car or a car's performance option package comes with 19"+ wheels stock, then the driver can swap them out for 18s if they are the same width and if they are within +/- 5mm of stock offset. There are plenty of R-comp and XHP tires in 18" diameter. If your car comes with 17" wheels or below, you cannot upsize to 18" wheels unless the car has been entirely upgraded with the performance option package that contains the 19"+ wheels. For example, a normal 2011 Mustang V-6 Coupe comes with 17" wheels stock. You cannot put 18" wheels on it unless you upgrade it to Mayhem package-spec with all OEM parts. Although 19" wheels are a stand-alone option, they cannot be used as an excuse to upsize to 18s- the car must be upgraded otherwise to Mayhem-spec first.

Am I way off the mark with this idea? Any tweaks?

integraguy
integraguy Dork
5/10/11 5:27 p.m.

So what is the difference between this and the currently available PERFORMANCE PACKAGE? NOTHING!!!!

Ford's marketting dept. ran a contest via FaceBook to RE-NAME this package, and the best entry they got (according to the marketting dept.) was Mayhem. Go to the Ford website and it is still call PERFORMANCE PACKAGE. It is a bargain, but it has a stupid name. Apparently, the "rage" around Detroit nowadays, is to distinguish different trim levels with names/terms that get the attention of 15-25 year old guys....because we all know how many NEW cars they buy. Look at the Chrysler models for their "unusual" names (esp. Dodges) for the trim/models of something as mundane as a Caliber or Journey.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 7:27 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: The issue with that is that the V6 has a ~114mph speed governor. There's a lot of comparisons that have been thrown off because of it.

I remember that, I remember the finishing order too.

GT was quicker by a HUGE margin SS second Stang V6 was only about 3 seconds slower than the SS! Camaro V6 decided the track was the Nurburgring and set an appropriate time for the Nordschleife.

I remember the driver wanted to have the V6 governor removed to see how fast it really was.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 7:28 p.m.

Hey,

If memory serves the Mustang V6 is based on the EcoBoost V6...

Javelin
5/10/11 8:03 p.m.

In reply to integraguy:

Uh yeah, of course it's the same package. They've been naming packages for years. Like GSR and Type R

I think the name will help it gain recognition and sell better.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
5/10/11 8:43 p.m.

That new V6 is great in it's own right, but to make it handle better is even better. I'd rock a glass roof though, cause I'm a baller.

I'd really like to see about doing some GT parts swapping on a base SN95 V6 manual car. Hard as crap to find a V6 stick though.

Javelin
5/10/11 8:54 p.m.
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) wrote: That new V6 is great in it's own right, but to make it handle better is even better. I'd rock a glass roof though, cause I'm a baller. I'd really like to see about doing some GT parts swapping on a base SN95 V6 manual car. Hard as crap to find a V6 stick though.

The 3.8L one!!?!?!?! Are you a masochist or something?

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
5/10/11 9:01 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
The issue with that is that the V6 has a ~114mph speed governor. There's a lot of comparisons that have been thrown off because of it.

I agree, I'd like to see a comparison of a 5.0 and one of these. I've always just ignored all V6 'stangs but I gotta admit, this makes a good case for itself especially with 30mpg's. I'd still go for the 5.0 just because I'd want a V8, but I have to admit aside from missing the exhaust note, the V6 would be awesome.

As for the 114mph limiter, I was kind of disappointed. OTOH, I'd never actually run into it, so I don't really care.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mWPXEPMr0MFUK3PmdJM8vYSYAYdlH6BpXlLNwknX2u04au5MPDXQyXHYMwM9lpA4