1 2 3 4 5
FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/11/11 11:09 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: TTAC just found something else wrong with the V-6 (and GT) Mustangs: Their manual transmissions are made of glass, or rather, China: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/05/fords-v-6-pony-saddled-with-stupid-new-name/

warning rant coming

Not to rude but you are talking out your ass on the China bit. Every manufacture and almost every assembly in your car has parts fom China. Good ones, ones you can't tell the difference from the US parts.

China now is like te US 60 years ago. There are a plethera of bad ones and a plethera of good ones. China is an emerging industrial center, there machine shops aren't mature nor have they endured the robbe baron years like the US manufacturing sector has. The herd will be thined and then they're prices will go up and then it will move to the next country down the developmental chain.

I have stood in Chongqing and seen Cummins cylinder heads being made in a factory I am surprised they could find the machines from the crap laying around. I have seen Yamaha engine blocks being cast in a foundry I would have eaten off the floor of. China manufacturers are just like everyone else. Believe me you should see some of the utter garbage I get at my job from US and Japan suppliers.

Fords problem is they built a new factory, with a new partnership, with a new product, to deliver a price. I don't care where that is done you are going to have issues. From what little intel I have read on it, a material cert wasn't checked, switched, or mis-speced. They will get it fixed, the big issue is how are they going to handle their customers.

Rant over

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/12/11 7:02 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
FlightService wrote: Hey, If memory serves the Mustang V6 is based on the EcoBoost V6...
If you that the only thing that is remotely the same as an EcoBoost would be the block, and that is what "based" means, you'd be right. And only if you also mean that the 3.7 displacement is ok vs. the 3.5l GTDI engines. Otherwise, not the same animal.
So the important part is there, so a little mod here and a little mo ther and you have twin turbo DI mustang, Thing that make you go hummm.

If you mean that "a little mod here and little mo ther...." you actually mean changing the entire powertrain, including wiring, fuel system, trans, clutch, etc etc... Let alone block, pistons, heads, injectors, etc etc....

Yea.

Otherwise, no. The engines are HUGELY different.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 9:21 a.m.

EcoBoost

3.7L

Not to be a stickler, but those look pretty damn similar. Same oil cooler/filter setup, same front covers and accessories, same thermostat/water pump assemblies, same cam covers, etc, etc. Looks like the EcoBoost would pretty easily fit anywhere the 3.7L would.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/12/11 9:24 a.m.

Jav, I really would not argue with Eric on Ford stuff. Politics, his views on what constitutes vandalism, sure, but not this.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/12/11 9:25 a.m.

I'm not seeing a huge difference either. Could be some clearance issues with the turbo exhaust manifold but if you can fit that massive width Coyote...

Javelin
5/12/11 9:32 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Jav, I really would not argue with Eric on Ford stuff. Politics, his views on what constitutes vandalism, sure, but not this.

I'm sure all the stuff he says is different really is, especially since this is the one actual product he worked on. But the question posed was would the turbo motor fit, and it sure as heck looks like it's the same architecture and would easily fit.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/12/11 9:41 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Jav, I really would not argue with Eric on Ford stuff. Politics, his views on what constitutes vandalism, sure, but not this.
I'm sure all the stuff he says is different really is, especially since this is the one actual product he worked on. But the question posed was would the turbo motor fit, and it sure as heck looks like it's the same architecture and would easily fit.

You mean like, in that they are both V6's with approximately the same lengths?

Javelin
5/12/11 9:44 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Javelin wrote:
You mean like, in that they are both V6's with approximately the same lengths?

I mean as in they are based on the same architecture, built on the same assembly line, share way more parts then has been presented to us, and likely use even the same motor mounts.

They look just as similar as the Ford 2.3L / 2.3T. Sure a lot of the parts were different (including the block), but they were based on the same tooling and literally dropped in and out of each-others spaces.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 9:50 a.m.

I am WAY more interested in the bellhousing and wether the 3.5L/3.7L bells are the same as the FWD bells from say the 3.0L DOHC from the earlier Taurus because that would open up a world of neat swap possibilities (Think Miata, Pinto etc).

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
5/12/11 9:55 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: does the mustang with the performance pack and 3.31 gears still get 30mpg?

I was gonna mention that. Not it most certainly doesn't. It think with the lower gears it drops the freeway mileage down to ~27.

Still not bad for a 3500 lb car with 300hp.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/12/11 10:01 a.m.
Javelin wrote:

Fits, 100% certain. Even installed, yes. Driven it.

Lot's of differences, though. Enough that it's not a trivial drop in. Very, very non trivial.

edit- and I'm not talking about the turbo hardware, which is hard enough- but I think the above average Challenger would be capable of doing.

(and what's wrong with my politics? )

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
5/12/11 10:09 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver: Wait... it fits? I thought Ford has vehemently denied the idea of ever putting the ecoboost in the Mustang for the very reason that it does NOT fit.

Or did I totally misunderstand what you were talking about?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/12/11 10:13 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Wait... it fits? I thought Ford has vehemently denied the idea of ever putting the ecoboost in the Mustang for the very reason that it does NOT fit. Or did I totally misunderstand what you were talking about?

Your idea of fit is probably the same as ours- willing to compromise some things just because we need a car to do some testing.

Not the same as production. It may not fit if you take into account all production issues (installation, heat rejection, heat management, etc- lots of things we can ignore just to have a moving car).

dculberson
dculberson Reader
5/12/11 1:47 p.m.

Is there an Ecoboost crate motor available yet?? hehe

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 1:53 p.m.

The 2011 Mustang is dead sexy. It just keeps getting better looking.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/12/11 3:27 p.m.

Wait! A used Z06 is still the best bang for the buck. Somebody jump in to compare these engines to the LSX

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/12/11 4:41 p.m.
FlightService wrote: So this thread has went from FT-86 is a bad idea due to Toyota's scope creep on the design of it, to the 2011+ Mustang is the best bang for the buck to be had. Interesting.

The ft-86 was a diff thread. This started out a Mustang thread.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
5/12/11 4:53 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Wait! A used Z06 is still the best bang for the buck. Somebody jump in to compare these engines to the LSX

Well, their both a V configuration, with an alloy block and an even number of cyls. Therefore it's a drop in. Don't listen when the guy that helped design it says it's not an easy job, he's just sand bagging, he even admits they built one. Go for it I say. No problem.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
5/12/11 5:13 p.m.

Popping in to this thread to say I could never buy a V6 Mustang when the V8 exists. Like what Clarkson said about buying a DB-9 when a DBS could pull up next to you.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 5:53 p.m.

Like buying a Miata when RX8s are availalable.

Grizz
Grizz Reader
5/12/11 5:59 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Popping in to this thread to say I could never buy a V6 Mustang when the V8 exists. Like what Clarkson said about buying a DB-9 when a DBS could pull up next to you.

Why not? It costs less to buy, has respectable performance, and gets better mileage, and I bet not having a GT badge means the insurance costs less as well.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
5/12/11 6:35 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Like buying a Miata when RX8s are availalable.

Nah, more like buying a 13B RX8 if the 16X was available.

Grizz wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Popping in to this thread to say I could never buy a V6 Mustang when the V8 exists. Like what Clarkson said about buying a DB-9 when a DBS could pull up next to you.
Why not? It costs less to buy, has respectable performance, and gets better mileage, and I bet not having a GT badge means the insurance costs less as well.

POOOOOWWWEERRR!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/12/11 6:52 p.m.

OPINION....

I think it would be cool and appropriate to have a RWD EcoBoost Lincoln.

a guy can dream.....

Grizz
Grizz Reader
5/12/11 7:07 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Grizz wrote:
POOOOOWWWEERRR!

That is why god gave us the aftermarket turbo kit. Because he loves us.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/12/11 7:47 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Grizz wrote:
POOOOOWWWEERRR!
That is why god gave us the aftermarket turbo kit. Because he loves us.

Unfortunately they always make power adders for the big motors too.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iwwv04NZty0eJBXpD2FN0asQibLou9zdqGWLeubKSJYlpmC2tuxj3G202zEDJMgb