1 ... 3 4 5
tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/12/11 8:16 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
nderwater wrote: Wait! A used Z06 is still the best bang for the buck. Somebody jump in to compare these engines to the LSX
Well, their both a V configuration, with an alloy block and an even number of cyls. Therefore it's a drop in. Don't listen when the guy that helped design it says it's not an easy job, he's just sand bagging, he even admits they built one. Go for it I say. No problem.

Brilliant! Nice post!!

I think he meant to compare them more critically. I prefer the design of the LS style because I like pushrods, which enable the engine to be lighter and smaller and lower hoodlines (although you won't see that benefit from the Camaro vs Mustang - I'd rather have the Mustang in that fight) as well as less complicated. I do believe Ford made the 4.6 by aiming for a mythical high feature V8 Camaro that they thought GM was working on. They probably saw the ZR1 Vette and thought that was the direction, when in fact GM was comparing and realizing that the ZR1 engine in the C4 was impressive, but not impressive enough to warrant the extra width, height and weight as compared to the next iteration of the LT1. Ford made an error there tactically, and daresay they recovered quite handily. The new 5.0 mill is pretty nice!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 9:21 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Popping in to this thread to say I could never buy a V6 Mustang when the V8 exists. Like what Clarkson said about buying a DB-9 when a DBS could pull up next to you.
OPINION.... I think it would be cool and appropriate to have a RWD EcoBoost Lincoln. a guy can dream.....

It would be a good reason to install one in a Mustang test mule.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/11 8:02 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Popping in to this thread to say I could never buy a V6 Mustang when the V8 exists. Like what Clarkson said about buying a DB-9 when a DBS could pull up next to you.
OPINION.... I think it would be cool and appropriate to have a RWD EcoBoost Lincoln. a guy can dream.....
It would be a good reason to install one in a Mustang test mule.

So now that we know you made one fit (and don't feed me bull about heat management for a production car, you fit a damn 5.4L V8 with giant 32V heads and a BLOWER in the nose of a Mustang with no issues, a 3.5L V6T should be cake) and that it drives (and is presumably awesome), how long until you release it? I'd say an EcoBoost Lincoln Mark IX would be justifiably different enough from the Mustang

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/17/11 10:07 p.m.
lizard wrote:
FlightService wrote: Don't knock the wheel stuff, Tom. I know you have been to SEMA. I was there in 2006 when a few of the manufacturers caused a dress code to be enforced for 2007.
What did they require the strippers hired to sit in the display booths to wear 20 square inches of clothing?

When they were only wearing 10 square inches, below the waste! Above the waste was only body paint.

Nice, firm round, touchable, body paint.

Wife was PISSED!!!

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/17/11 10:12 p.m.

Well my thought process is ford would move the 5.0 up, kill off the 5.4 in the 500, put the 3.5 EcoBoost in between the base and the 5.0, since they noticed in their focus groups the youngsters wouldn't look at a V-8.

Maybe when the Coyote goes DI...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/18/11 6:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: So now that we know you made one fit (and don't feed me bull about heat management for a production car, you fit a damn 5.4L V8 with giant 32V heads and a BLOWER in the nose of a Mustang with no issues, a 3.5L V6T should be cake) and that it drives (and is presumably *awesome*), how long until you release it? I'd say an EcoBoost Lincoln Mark IX would be justifiably different enough from the Mustang

Missed this post a few days ago.

Opinion....

Probably the same reason why we also don't get a Focus ST, which would be sold in great numbers to employees.

Marketing.

if a Lincoln Mark 9 came out with a drop top, it would be close to the top of my list to replace my Miata. Well, not as close if the Focus convertable came here, too.

Opinion 2- What I think is killer about the Lincoln- you can fit a rather snug suspension in it. BTDT- we called it an LS. So you can call the car MKL. Or something silly like that.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/11 8:17 a.m.

The LS was an awesome car that I've looked into buying more than once. Too bad the manual-trans models were rarer than hen's teeth, and only on the V6's.

Thanks for letting us know it can be done and Ford just doesn't want to do it.

And on the Focus ST, we aren't getting it? What about the Fiesta ST?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/18/11 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

dunno. we are kept in the dark a lot.

(which is probably not a bad thing)

The Mustang thing is not all that secret- it's not as if anyone is REALLY asking for an IRS/small power engine kind of car, so the reality of that particular market is V8's with a stick. Even if the v6 was cheaper (which it's not), it would not be as accepted in that particular car. The Camaro is a perfect example- Mustangs still outsell them... Kinda hard to ignore the lack of that kind of market.

On the flip side, I'm pretty stunned by the EcoBoost sales in the F150. I didn't expect that at all.

Ah, the LS. Had so much potential. Coulda been a conteda..... (heard rumors that tuned ones were amazing on the track... coulda, woulda, shoulda. But I'm not so sure a better BMW would have sold that well with a Lincoln badge)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/11 8:46 a.m.

I let a $500.00 LS stick slip through my hands just a few weeks ago. Runs, drives, no AC, needed tires.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/18/11 9:00 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I let a $500.00 LS stick slip through my hands just a few weeks ago. Runs, drives, no AC, needed tires.

v6 manual? too bad. We could have had a pretty classy challenger from you. I would have had fun helping.

e_pie
e_pie New Reader
5/18/11 9:50 a.m.

If Ford came out with an EcoBoost Mustang, I think I would break my unwritten rule of never buying a car new.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/18/11 10:45 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Probably the same reason why we also don't get a Focus ST, which would be sold in great numbers to employees.

Yeah I thought the ST was a 2013 model. Something change?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/18/11 11:13 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Probably the same reason why we also don't get a Focus ST, which would be sold in great numbers to employees.
Yeah I thought the ST was a 2013 model. Something change?

Get and will get are different things. The ST has been made for a few years now.

No idea what will be gotten in 2013.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1svctIjQjJRjeq7JhBxx1IvcfZ8XOmxe63OVJfGjNTMRAZzDHcCVHxIEHbwtBd5x