LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
8/19/15 11:03 a.m.

Only $44k usd. Who knew that Anniversary Edition NC's were so valuable? http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/643091655/overview/

Not mine, etc.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/19/15 11:08 a.m.

The new one is going to make the NCs in general drop like rocks in value. No one is going to pay $44k for one, no matter how special.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/19/15 11:19 a.m.

Two words: supply and demand.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/19/15 11:37 a.m.

Supply, yes. Demand, no.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/15 12:01 p.m.

There are those who prefer the NC. But the window to sell an AE for that sort of money was after the power level of the ND was announced and before anyone got a chance to test the 2.0. You know, the "OMGWTF155HP!" era.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/19/15 12:45 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Supply, yes. Demand, no.

Then we have our answer.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/19/15 12:50 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Supply, yes. Demand, no.

Never underestimate people and their ability to want something badly that calls itself a "Anniversary" car.

We make a LOT of money on those buyers.

There will be more than enough for this car (which is probably 500-1000).

evildky
evildky SuperDork
8/19/15 1:27 p.m.

I had a 99 anniversary edition, I found it interesting that miata has some sort of special edition for virtually every year of production and the 99 anniversary edition had higher production numbers than most of the special edition mazda made over the years. Still a pretty hot ticket in ES as it has unicorn diff ratio giving it the highest mph in second gear of any 6 speed miata.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/19/15 1:31 p.m.
evildky wrote: I had a 99 anniversary edition, I found it interesting that miata has some sort of special edition for virtually every year of production and the 99 anniversary edition had higher production numbers than most of the special edition mazda made over the years. Still a pretty hot ticket in ES as it has unicorn diff ratio giving it the highest mph in second gear of any 6 speed miata.

Believe the 99 would be the 10AE which should be 4.1 final with the 6spd. 2000 SE would have the 3.9 which should hold that title.

Keith Tanner
8/19/15 4:02 p.m.

All 1999-03 6-speeds had the 3.9 rear. Only the 2004-05 models were saddled with the 4.1.

Mazda has had special editions for almost every year of Miata because people buy them. Enthusiasts say they want a stripped down performance model, and when Mazda made one in 2003 they sold like dead dogs. Took forever to move 50. Meanwhile, give the car a special color and a badge and they fly off the lots. The 1999 10AE was notable because it actually had a unique mechanical difference in that 6-speed, it wasn't available elsewhere until 2000.

You should see the number of special editions in the late-90's UK market. Something like four per year.

outasite
outasite New Reader
8/19/15 7:32 p.m.

Check out the people that bought 1978 anniversary and pace car corvettes thinking they were good investments. A customer bought 2 anniversary cars (one to dd) and a pace car. I worked on them every week for the first month to make them PERFECT.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/19/15 10:08 p.m.
outasite wrote: Check out the people that bought 1978 anniversary and pace car corvettes thinking they were good investments. A customer bought 2 anniversary cars (one to dd) and a pace car. I worked on them every week for the first month to make them PERFECT.

I live through that era - everyone instantly put a $25,000 value on those '78's.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
8/19/15 11:06 p.m.

For what it's worth, the AE has the best NC color combo -- contrast top and Club wheels with the GT interior. Still just a Miata though

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/20/15 2:57 p.m.

Dealer group I work for has one in stock. Looks pretty sweet sitting in the showroom.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/15 4:00 p.m.

I totally love the look and that color combo is sharp but I'd never pay extra for it. There needs to be something special under the hood for that.

Keith Tanner
8/20/15 4:39 p.m.

There is, sort of. They're apparently blueprinted engines. It's not massively different, but it's as good as if can be.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/20/15 4:45 p.m.
outasite wrote: Check out the people that bought 1978 anniversary and pace car corvettes thinking they were good investments.

I knew a guy who did that....he traded in a '67 coupe on one. He realized the error of his ways about 24 hours later.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
8/21/15 12:01 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
evildky wrote: I had a 99 anniversary edition, I found it interesting that miata has some sort of special edition for virtually every year of production and the 99 anniversary edition had higher production numbers than most of the special edition mazda made over the years. Still a pretty hot ticket in ES as it has unicorn diff ratio giving it the highest mph in second gear of any 6 speed miata.
Believe the 99 would be the 10AE which should be 4.1 final with the 6spd. 2000 SE would have the 3.9 which should hold that title.

99 AE had the 3.9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YMtUtUtPUrS7hiu6FZXqBeWFxFRlj1OqqljNUFpv6IqqgDZExOEFoDf40Uanaovh