1 2
Caleb
Caleb New Reader
2/16/12 11:22 p.m.

So here's my car for your viewing enjoyment , it's a 1985 Mr2 with a pretty basic HMT Turbo that I've been running for about a year now.

Specs -Engine- -Stock rebuilt engine with 9.8:1 comp(resurfaced head) -T3 Garrett 60/.48 -SSAC manifold -A2W intercooler -HKS SSQV BOV -2.5 exhaust -440cc Supra injectors -Walbro 255 fuel pump -Street Tuned on Megasquirt 1 V2.2 @ 12psi

-Suspension- -New ball joints,tierods, rebuild steering rack, and wheel bearings -Prothane bushings -BC Racing coilovers -Factory strut bar add -Factory rear sway bar -15x6 Enkie wheels-

-Brakes- -Upgraded to larger 87+ rotors -Celica ST calibers -New Brembo rotors -StopTech pads -Braided lines

-Body- -86+ sideskirts -89 LED rear spoiler -86+rear roof visor

-interior- -Fatmat installed -Closed cell foam installed -Mass loaded vinyl installed

Heres the car when i bought it for 300$ with a blown engine, the original plan was to swap in anther engine and use it as a daily while i built my supra but its funny how plans change and it got a rebuilt engine and a turbo kit lol

Engine had no compression in cylinder 3&4 so out it came and yes it comes out the bottom on a MR2 lol

Fuel tank had to come out as well because the pump wouldn't prime (fuel tank is in the "transmission tunnel" lol

All kinds of nastiness here

A few pics of the engine tear down and some cleaning up (you can clearly see why i had no compression on cylinder 3&4 lol) [/QUOTE]

A few of the turbo kit Heat exchanger for the A2W mounted up Here's the megasquirt up and running

85 Brakes vs 87 brakes

sideskirts 87+ side vent and wheels added at stock ride height

Coilovers interior out Fatmat installed CCF and MLV installed interior back in

and what the car looks like now, Still needs paint and a little body rust repair but its getting there

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/17/12 2:11 a.m.

I freaking dig that. Well done!

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
2/17/12 5:24 a.m.

Good job. Twos rock. On my third one now.

trucke
trucke New Reader
2/17/12 5:39 a.m.

Nice work! Beautiful car!

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
2/17/12 6:23 a.m.

I had an '89 corolla GT-S with that wonderful little motor. Must be fun w/ boost! Props for rescuing a first year MR2.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/17/12 6:45 a.m.

Oh my god, I WANT!! Very well done!

failboat
failboat Dork
2/17/12 6:59 a.m.

sweet, those are some of the better looking NA miata wheels.

what part of VA?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 7:50 a.m.

Webmaster, please delete this entire post!!! It is going to cost me a lot of time and money if it is left up for too long. (hmmm, turbo kits on ebay, let me take look...)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 7:57 a.m.

Nice! I wanted one of those really badly when they were new. Fourteen grand was just way too much for a new car back then!

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 7:58 a.m.

Looks like a relatively rust-free body for $300. Tell us about driving it. Any tire rub issues (looks LOW in the front)?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/17/12 8:02 a.m.

I always liked that color - good show ol' chap.

I've found it amusing that in most garage pics of aw11's, you'll see another half-disassembled example somewhere in the shot.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/17/12 8:07 a.m.

A whole lotta nastness followed by a whole lotta cleanliness. I hear wrapping a turbo's manifold can cause damage. How's that working out for you?

Overall a nice car.

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
2/17/12 8:31 a.m.

The car drive fantastically feels like a big go-kart it does scrape the front lip from time to time but that's about all but a lot of that has to do with the overly stiff spring rates I'm running,when i resping the coils in a few weeks the ride height is going to have to be raised a little. The .48 exhaust housing makes boost come on hard and fast but sadly it does fall off a bit after 7k or so. There are issues with wrapping a manifold with header wrap, especially a cheap china "stainless" one like I'm using, they start to rust because of the moisture trapped inside and the metal will fatigue faster but at 150$ I'll either build a new one when this one fails of just buy another lol

O and i'm located in near Lynchburg VA

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
2/17/12 8:39 a.m.

pinchvalve - The only parts off ebay are the turbo manifold and intercooler, everything else was bought from reputably vendors or the junk yard lol

turbo- came from a 86 300zx, I then rebuilt it,upgraded to 360 thrust bearings and swapped on a Volvo .48 exhaust housing

Heat exchanger- is a Kawasaki Mojave radiator lol and it works perfectly

Injectors- came from a 89 toyota supra Turbo

Intercooler pump- is a Ford Racing SVT Cobra unit

Resovior is from frozenboost.com

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/17/12 8:40 a.m.

LOVE IT!!!

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/17/12 9:09 a.m.

COOOL! My brother bought one of these in this color brand new. I was only around 10 years old and he brought it by. I thought it was the most amazing car on the planet, and looked like it was faster than anything else out there. I still love them because of that.

Tell me about the fatmat + closed cell foam + mass load vinyl. How did it improve the car? How much weight did it add? Was it expensive or do you have a good source for it? I think a lot of the "cheap" feeling could be engineered out of these 80's Japanese cars with stuff like this. I love how you were so thorough in where you put it. I bet the car feels a lot more solid and tight.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 9:29 a.m.

Don't give me more details! I already had to hide my wallet from myself!

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
2/17/12 11:07 a.m.

All the sound deadening added about 50lbs to the car and was well worth it in my opinion. It made a big reduction in rattles and squeaks plus helped block out a lot of engine and road noise, the 4age is no quite running engine but i'm pretty sure no 80's toyota engines are. Over all the car is always going to be noisy but it helps the car sound much more solid

What happens is the Fatmat helps dampen vibrations and high frequency sounds, the closed cell foam acts as a buffer between the fat mat and mass loaded vinyl(they can't be laied on top of each other or the vinyl does nothing)but it also has some noise suppression characteristics and the the MLV acts to suppress the low frequency sound waves that are things like exhaust drones and road noise .

The fatmat and MLV came off ebay but any higher end auto store will carry similar products(fatmat and dynomat are almost identical except fatmat is 1/4 the price). MLV is made for sound proofing rooms so if you call around a local contractor might beable to hook you up because it is heavy and expensive to ship and the CCF can be bought at place like homedepoe and lowes its in the flooring section(it goes under hardwood floors and laminates)

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/17/12 11:29 a.m.

Very cool.

I've recently acquired an '86....not quite sure which way that I'm going, but I have a couple of options.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
2/17/12 1:20 p.m.

love the color. Here is a pic of the STS prepped miata I codrive

Before the stupid STS takeback

And after the takeback (this was at the nationals)

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
2/17/12 1:25 p.m.

a little bit of deshrouding on those machining marks would allow for far more boost. Those machining eyebrows act like glowplugs when the engine gets hot.

Here is what I'm talking about...

Chamber on right no longer has those machine marks

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/17/12 1:26 p.m.

I miss the '88 MR2 SC that I sold in 2004 and if I find another I would buy it.
Well done on yours.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/17/12 1:27 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: love the color. Here is a pic of the STS prepped miata I codrive Before the stupid STS takeback And after the takeback (this was at the nationals)

That's a funny looking Miata.

evildky
evildky Dork
2/17/12 1:30 p.m.

any idea on the HP? I've been wishing I had done a turbo and megasquirt instead of the 3SGTE

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
2/17/12 1:34 p.m.

In reply to MG Bryan:

It must be a grey market import.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
49vLag0eEhzQLrZWREiiUY7Vk41Lo1j0Rk7IPlG1qr0KId9sG0uU8VI3A9Z9igED