Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/17/14 11:40 p.m.

So this past summer I picked up a 87 Novakar F500 (3rd car built) and I now have done two autocrosses with it. The first event was a bit of a bust; I ran the battery flat, the AMW engine runs total loss system and I only got 3 runs in so I ended up 5th out 100 cars. The car still had the road race set up and because F500s use a Kart style solid axle the understeer was horrendous. I, set up genius that I am, had the cockpit adjustable proportion valve the wrong way so the brake bias was all front further compounding the understeer. Even with all that it was still a blast to drive despite the fact I drove like a hack. After the event the car builder, Jay Novak, gave me some set up tips. For those who don't know F500s use rubber pucks for spring/damper, on my car there is a pull rod through the center of the puck with a giant washer that compresses the puck. The control arm has a bracket with several holes that allow you to move the pull rod inboard or outboard. I moved the rod to the inner most (softest) position and for the rear I put hose clamps (yes really) over the pucks to stiffen them up. The idea being for the car to raise the inside rear wheel to allow the car to rotate better. I also installed a much larger battery, since I weigh 140lbs the extra 7lbs is not an issue. Event two went much better; on my morning runs I continued the the theme of the first event and drove like a hack. I started the first run by smacking a slalom cone dead center, it was hard to see with my helmet wedge up my....well you get the idea......I was focused on the first gate after the slalom and started to line up for it with two (not one) slalom comes left realized the error but tried to make a cut back around the cone waaaaaay to late and POP the cone went flying over the car, like a tornado plucked it into the sky. I did manage one decent run leaving me second in group one. After groups two and three ran I was sitting fourth. The car understeered less but if I tried to trail the brakes deep into the corners it only exacerbated the problem. For the afternoon I changed up my style, I tend to be the king of trail braking which works well in the Datsun on a road course but this seemed to be an issue in the F500. I also made a tire pressure adjustment, they had gone up to 15 psi hot so I dropped them to 10/12 front rear. The air temp was up to 56F and the tires were actually working well. My times dropped 3 seconds, the big key was doing 99% of the braking in a straight line then making sure to be completely off the brakes once I turned the wheel more than 10 degrees. After that steering the car on the throttle kept it rotating nicely and allowed me to carry lots of corned speed which soon lead to another issue. The AMW engine uses Mikuni Super BN carbs which have a known issue that under high G load left handers they suffer fuel starvation. Fortunately there is a known cure for the issue. On my last three runs the motor bogged out in the exact same spot every time and I spent 100ft or more with no power, even with this I was sitting second overall about 1.3 secs behind my buddies shifter cart. The carb issue cost me, after groups two and three ran I ended up third out of ninety four cars. One of our locals is a very talented young driver who was running in a friends Exocet, he damn near beat out my pal in his F125. So all said and done the car was fantastic to drive; it requires MM perfect precision and the level of aggression needed reminds me of when I road raced 125cc GP bikes, nailing the exact turn in speed is key to going fast. For our January event I will change the brake bias and fix the carb issue, still intent on getting FTD. While I have autocrossed for 25 years my focus has always been road racing but this car has really got me jazzed about autocross and I am enjoying working hard to trying and beat my friends. The best part is I have a whopping $3500 invested. If you get the chance to drive one of these cars don't pass it up but be warned you will find yourself shopping for one.

Tom
Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
12/18/14 12:39 a.m.

There's a guy at our events that runs one of those. Haven't talked to him much about it but damn that thing looks like a hoot.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
12/18/14 10:25 a.m.

Pictures would make the day much better:-)

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/19/14 12:29 a.m.

Lancer 007 - If you can scheme your way into the F500 go for it. Be prepared to also be looking 5 gates ahead as thing tend to arrive a lot sooner Sultan - I don't have any pictures from the event yet, I've asked on or region website as I know some were taken. Other then one event 2 years ago in an F500, maybe 20 laps in a Stohr D-Sports Racer 5-6 years ago, it's been almost 12 years since I owned my single seater DSR and that was not a great Autocross car as it was 72" wide. I traditionally had a love hate relationship with single seaters. The F500 is very low maintenance; very simple cars, 2 stroke engines are easy to repair, there's no shocks to rebuild, the CVT drive is the ultimate close ratio gear box. The final drive is via chain and sprockets........swapping the counter shaft sprocket takes 5 minutes.
The only other job I need to do is make a seat insert for my son, he is slightly taller than I am but only weighs 120lbs.

Tom
Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/19/14 12:44 a.m.

That sounds like a blast. I think the F500/F600 cars are some of the neatest race cars out there...Unfortunately they're nowhere near as popular as they deserve to be!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/14 6:30 a.m.

They really are a blast! In addition to the aforementioned simplicity, they're small and light enough that you can tow one with a car and fit them in the garage easily.

I had a mid 80s Red Devil for awhile. My dad has a KBS Mk3 with a Quadrini 5 link rear end that the NER people may remember. He got it developed pretty well, including an NER-compliant exhaust, but it hasn't run in a few years due to health issues. It may be migrating west to my house in the near future.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/19/14 8:09 a.m.

Every time i read about these cars I want one, but at 6'2" 230lbs with broad shoulders, built like a football player. I wonder if the lack of interest is because we as Americans are to big for them They seem to be affordable.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/19/14 8:15 a.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Every time i read about these cars I want one, but at 6'2" 230lbs with broad shoulders, built like a football player. I wonder if the lack of interest is because we as Americans are to big for them They seem to be affordable.

But that's the beauty of Modified classes. If you don't fit, you simply cut away the stuff that's in your way and weld in new stuff. I took basically one evening of cutting and welding to modify my KBS to get my fireplug physique to fit properly. It's no longer road race legal, but if we wanted to keep it road race legal we could have.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/19/14 10:03 a.m.

I have epic want to go F500.

Need to get a house first. Then I need to talk the president of my local auto-x club into allowing non-street cars at events.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/19/14 10:35 a.m.

Gonna hafta look further into these... that could definitely scratch my itch. If welder trumps 6'-1"/ 250 I could be in.

What's the ticket, F500 or 600 in what Mod class?

Links, need best links.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/19/14 10:39 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak: I would be more interested in the RR and not autocross.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/19/14 3:33 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Gonna hafta look further into these... that could definitely scratch my itch. If welder trumps 6'-1"/ 250 I could be in. What's the ticket, F500 or 600 in what Mod class? Links, need best links.

F600 seems to still be having some teething problems, as the conversion process is turning out to be more complex and costly than originally intended. Ultimately it'll be pretty cool, but at the moment I think it's still work in progress.

$4-6k will buy you a competitive (in FMod) F500.

f500.us

formula500.org

apexspeed.com

Some good places to start.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/19/14 11:48 p.m.

On my Novakar the down tubes from the rear to front hoops could easily be reconfigured to fit someone with wide shoulders if you couldn't slide past them. Basically your shoulders would be below the bars you'd just have to wiggle under them. I'm lucky in being 5' 7" and 140lbs so I fit even the most cramped formula cars, in fact I'm considering moving the pedals as they are almost a stretch. The original owner was 200 lbs and must have been about 5' 10" maybe taller. As for the F500 community they have been awesome; as mentioned the builder designer sent me several emails on how to maximize the set up. I got this deal because my friend offered me deal on is 2006 Novakar but the timing was wrong (just spent bucks on the Datsun) but the guy who bought his car offered me a great deal on the 87 Novakar. While my car has the unloved AMW (the early ones tended rattle themselves to death on longer road courses) it came with tons of extras including a spare motor and when those are used up a Rotax motor can be purchased for $600-$800. You could simple run a motor till it went kablamo and by a new one. I have considered the bike motor route but as mentioned the two stokes are so cheap and especially for autocross I think the CVT is an advantage, also contrary to urban myth modern two strokes are stone axle reliable and much cheaper to service. I think the reason the cars are less popular is that some folks are shy of two strokes, the CVT belt set up and rubber donut suspension seems weird, once you drive one you won't care. I've run Formula Vee, Formula Ford, D-Sports racers and even some laps in an old Formula Super Vee. The F500 offers up Formula Ford lap times for a third of the price, they match Shifter Kart times at autocross without beating up your body (I'm 52 and now feel those motorcycle crashes from my teens and twenties).

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/20/14 9:57 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Gonna hafta look further into these... that could definitely scratch my itch. If welder trumps 6'-1"/ 250 I could be in. What's the ticket, F500 or 600 in what Mod class? Links, need best links.
F600 seems to still be having some teething problems, as the conversion process is turning out to be more complex and costly than originally intended. Ultimately it'll be pretty cool, but at the moment I think it's still work in progress. $4-6k will buy you a competitive (in FMod) F500. f500.us formula500.org apexspeed.com Some good places to start.

Thanks JG

From brief reading it appears at least a few makes can accommodate 6'+ drivers and used prices are reasonable. I'd miss shifting on a road course but this kind of project would likely be solo only.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/20/14 10:22 a.m.

Your car looks good,mine was a KBS with a rotax.Had to sell it after only 2 events as my fall damaged neck couldn't handle the horrific chassis response over bumps.

The single biggest thing that should be allowed to be changed is tossing the stupid rubber puck with proper dampers.

Crazy fun and challenging to drive,too bad I didn't get a chance to really explore its limits.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/20/14 11:18 a.m.

Aw crap, you guys are feeding the fire.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/20/14 12:15 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Your car looks good,mine was a KBS with a rotax.Had to sell it after only 2 events as my fall damaged neck couldn't handle the horrific chassis response over bumps. The single biggest thing that should be allowed to be changed is tossing the stupid rubber puck with proper dampers. Crazy fun and challenging to drive,too bad I didn't get a chance to really explore its limits.

What's the condition w/ your neck damage and how did it affect driving? Bumps and/ or g forces?

I have damaged discs from (rear end) traffic accident. I've experienced positional vertigo, sometimes just rolling around under a vehicle. Couldn't honestly go back to road racing after that. Therapy maybe?

That was a nice car btw.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/20/14 1:59 p.m.

More than one fall,one of which resulted in a whiplash like injury with my neck have the natural curve the wrong way afterwards.

I do weekly massage and monthly chiro to maintain what I have,over a dozen yrs like this now.

My neck can handle bumps and g's but it seems only when in a normal seating position of approx 10 degrees.The laydown seating of the F500 had chin on my chest and I guess my neck had no further absorbtion left.

The last time I drove it resulted in massive nausea,dizzyness and huge headache etc.The 3 hour tow home was only possible after stopping for graval and tylenol,headache lasted a full 3 weeks straight.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/20/14 2:27 p.m.

I find the ride ok, granted I don't have neck or back issues, my car also has a good bit padding in the seat. I will say I do comment that a shifter kart would be simpler but the they tend to beat you up. Regardless for a variety of reasons the F500 had more appeal. As for this thread, I believe the song goes "putting out the fire with gas-o-line".

Edit: Kevlarcorolla the Novakar seating position is pretty upright, it might be worth sitting in one to see if it would work.

Tom
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/20/14 6:24 p.m.

Allready went back to the default setting for a racer....miata.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/20/14 7:30 p.m.

One old guy in my region has an open wheel F-Mod car, he uses a snowmobile 2 stroke engine. His exhaust looked a lot like this one.

It was ear-piercing loud, especially behind his car and up close. A few of us had to talk him into getting a muffler on that thing, he couldn't hear how loud it was ; He finally did and it's much better. It's loud, but not painfully loud.

One day, I will get a Formula 500 car, open wheel race car, or a shifter kart to autocross with. But now, I want to get top 5 PAX times.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/21/14 12:32 a.m.

2 strokes actually perform better WITH a silencer on the expansion chamber. My PAX times were a steamy dog pile but I don't care for moment because it was too much fun. @Kevlarcorolla; Miata are probably the most fun car ever, I loved the showroom stock C car I raced in the late 90's. It only took fifteen minutes to get to the track, I'd fill up the gas tank on the way to the track, race and then drive the car home again.......can't go worng. I'm working towards getting the F500 to point where I just get unkoad get in fire it up. The AMW needs a charging system and a choke. Once that's done it will be no more fussy than a Miata.

Tom
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/21/14 10:52 p.m.

Yah Miata is the way to go for me,mines done autox'ing now and I pick a cage kit up tomorrow.My F500 was good reliability wise,FM kinda earned a bad rap for oil downs but it was always the FV guys and the VW rocker cover falling off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WogH4mkrOOtndiuBJ6kv2H3Py3XTaGfRJCk42II88Hl0GJc2VfuaNNrqbsakVVtn