1 2
racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
8/16/16 2:21 p.m.

I spent some time this past weekend at our local Fiat dealer, and they didn't have a single Abarth in stock. They did have more than a half dozen 4C's however, all with the removable top. What is interesting is that they were getting ready for the Guilias to arrive in the next 6 to 8 weeks. I got to look at some of the marketing materials and it looks great on paper. They even had video of it in action playing in the lobby. Here's hoping it is better put together than the 4C!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/16 2:23 p.m.

I got a VM from the dealer where I bought my used truck. It was so elaborate that I bought it....whole narrative about how they had this couple lined up for a deal on a used truck just like mine, but it sold while they were in finance, but they had another buy lined up on their trade. They were prepared to give me top dollar because it would close two deals for them.

Called the salesman and he was all like, "come on down and let's see what we can trade you into." Told him to make me a cash offer because I'm a cash buyer. Nope...not interested.

Just a new line of customized bullE36 M3 to get you in the door.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/16/16 2:47 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: I got one recently for my Nissan Leaf, which made me laugh. I'm sure if I brought in the Leaf for a trade-in they'd run in the other direction.

The Leaf always gets the best ones. I got an envelope with a printout from an E-mail. It was from a supposed customer, asking about used Leaf's, and the dealer, saying the only one in the entire area was with Tuna55, and that he would try and contact me to see if I would sell it to the customer, and the customer saying something about making the offer really strong.

Creative, sure. The lease on the Leaf ended like a year beforehand though.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/16 3:02 p.m.

Based on this thread a fair amount of people get really testy about the dealer trying to sell them cars.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 3:05 p.m.

I have a general rule. If you try to start a business relationship based on a lie, we're done.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/16/16 3:12 p.m.

I get things from dealers for my Yaris which I haven't had in nearly 4-5 years.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/16 3:48 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Based on this thread a fair amount of people get really testy about the dealer trying to sell them cars.

Imagine the gumption. A business trying to sell you their product!

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
8/16/16 4:55 p.m.

It's not that they're trying to sell us something, it's that they're trying to deceive us. I know there' s more than a few salespeople on this board but, as a consumer, I sever my relationship with anyone who tries to hard sell me. If they sent out a letter saying "hey, we got these new models in and you should trade in what you have", I'd be much more inclined to give them my business when the time came.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/16 5:00 p.m.

Agree to disagree. The vast majority of this board constantly complains about dealerships, and much of it seems to be there attitude going in.

I've never had a problem with all the cars I've purchased from dealerships.

And between new and used, that would be something like 7 if you include my ex-s cars.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/16/16 6:06 p.m.

Taking a stroll into the showroom or random junk mail/email is different than having your info pulled from the days service logs to be jumped in the waiting area or texted to trade-in car being serviced are two different things.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 6:14 p.m.

I worked at a dealership for a while. That's why I don't trust them...

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
8/16/16 6:37 p.m.

The local Chevy dealer is desperate to find enough 2010 Cobalts to satisfy demand.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I have a general rule. If you try to start a business relationship based on a lie, we're done.

So you mean the warranty is not about to expire on my 02 VOLV S40?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/16/16 8:59 p.m.
jstand wrote: I get the mailings and the calls like that for the minivan and the Elantra. The latest one has been more creative and/or targeted. When picking up the Sedona from the last service appointment there was an extra page from the sales department. It listed out three newer vans and said that I could upgrade and keep my payments the same. No thank you! The last payment was made last week and I don't want another for several more years. I expect the same when I pick it up today, in fact they emailed me to tell me about it, like I'm supposed to feel special.

Well, if they tell you you can have any of those vans and "keep the payment the same" now, you should tell them to put it in writing and then take the offer of zero payments on your new van :)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/16/16 9:57 p.m.

I got one too. Really? People are looking to buy 5-1/2 year old base model Accord LX 4-cylinder sedans with136,000 miles and a transmission you have to manually shift? All 2 of us want one.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
8/16/16 9:57 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I used to get those all the time for my ms3. However, it was the car before that they actually wanted. More than once i was given outright cash offers for my 2005 sp23 package. I should have never traded that car...so cool.

The SP cars were awesome! I miss mine, but the rust on the rear quarters pushed me to move on from it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 10:02 p.m.

I still get them for my 1999 Hyundai Tiburon.. that I totaled in 2005

jstand
jstand HalfDork
8/17/16 5:18 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

The dealer surprised me and didn't include any sales propaganda with the service paper work. It must've thrown them off when I arranged to pick it up after the service dept. was closed.

But I haven't escaped yet. I need to go back today to discuss the alignment. The steering wheel is slightly off center and rear camber is out of spec (per their printout).

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/17/16 8:16 a.m.

I had no issues with my salesman last time (although he did tell me my car had a dual clutch transmission), but the finance guy lied to my face and tried to trick me into buying extra stuff over and over again. After a while, those experiences meld together into a general memory under "Mazda dealer".

I do get some weird emails about trading in my car from them though. Like the last one, with the subject "Maybe new Mazda?" and the content "Maybe you buy new Mazda? Come on down!". I chuckled while I hit the delete button.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
8/17/16 8:45 a.m.

Let's be honest, their goal is to try and get you in the door. Whether it be a scratch-off that could be worth $10k(!) or an iPad, a trade-in offer, two cars for the price of one (BOGO), a pre-printed check, they all just want to get you to come in. Once there, they feel confident they can close the deal.

I'm not mad at it, just glad that I understand it (unlike others) and don't go into it blindly.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/16 12:10 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Sad when you walk in to buy a vehicle you almost need a contract in hand to have the dealer sign to avoid additional bs.
They would't do it if it didn't work, unfortunately.
Exactly. I have been surprised by how many friends have "upgraded" when their dealer reached out and told them they wanted to buy their existing car. "I got this brand new one for the exact same payment as the old one, can you believe it?!" Well yes, I can, because you just added on another 12+ payments lol.

My BIL has about 4 more years of payments on a 10 year old Aveo. He traded in an Accent that he owed about $8000 on and had been repo'd twice. I almost have more sympathy for the finance company that's never going to get all their money from him. As long as there are people that are too smart to learn or listen there will people happy to take advantage of them.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
8/17/16 1:23 p.m.

My buddy actually came out ahead on this sort of thing. He had a final-year Avalanche, because Chevy quit making them and people still wanted them. He had 2 years left on the note, and he bought a new 1500 crew cab with a hard tonneau cover for the same payment on a 2-year note.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
8/17/16 2:51 p.m.

But they have Abarths in yellow for 2016! My stupid old red 2015 Abarth isn't going to turn yellow on its own.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
8/17/16 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

This episode of Last Week hits on the subject perfectly-

Auto Lending

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/17/16 3:41 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: But they have Abarths in yellow for 2016! My stupid old red 2015 Abarth isn't going to turn yellow on its own.

Hm, if you live in the rust-belt I would beg to differ. (Although even mine gets garaged in salt weather and Subarust becomes my daily.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYl2m6adnIwFMJER5sD6Tw2CYcNwths4WPTBcCmpzGUIgmQYSBovTWSobD9gZXRk