MCarp22 Reader
Sept. 15, 2009 11:16 p.m.

After seeing ISC racing's kit to use the chrysler app MSD coils for the 1.6, I decided that i'd finally have a use for that coil i had in a box of neon stuff leftover from my neon days. From what I understand, the miata coil is 26kv and the neon coil is something like 32-36kv, so there's an upgrade to be had here.

I'm afraid i didn't photograph every single step, so i'll do my best to explain.

Here's where i started, with a normal 1.6 valve cover:

First, I simply sat the coil on the valve cover and bravely closed the hood. Hood clearance was not a problem, and the final position of the coil is a bit closer to that hood brace.

I measured the bolt-holes and made a a mockup of a bracket for the coil out of cardboard:

Here's the drawing i made from that:

A friend of mine has a bunch of machine shop stuff in his garage, so he made this nifty aluminum mounting plate from the drawing out of scrap aluminum sheet:

He also trimmed down some tubing so that the plate would sit nicely above the valve cover:

We had to make the tubing standoffs a bit shorter before the final fitment with the ingition wires. Caldera hooked me up with his original equipment mopar wires for some extra WTF factor. :)

Once i spliced the wiring together, it started up and ran just fine! I just matched up the wires from the miata coil, 2-3 went to the right terminal on the neon plug, and 1-4 went to the left terminal on the neon plug, common ground goes to the center terminal on the neon plug.

I haven't driven the car tonight, as it has been raining; but i don't imagine the results will be too dramatic since my motor is essentially stock. However, it was a fun project to take on. Thanks for looking!

MCarp22 Reader
Sept. 15, 2009 11:41 p.m.

The site seems to hate my photos, i think they're working now.

CLNSC3 New Reader
Sept. 15, 2009 11:56 p.m.

Nice work!

Strizzo SuperDork
Sept. 16, 2009 12:17 a.m.

you'll probably notice a little better mileage rather than any noticeable increase in power.

Clay Reader
Sept. 16, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Nice. I can't see the pics here at work, but I look forward to checking them out tonight. Alot of the Miataturbo.net guys upgrade to the Toyota Coil on Plugs. I'm headed that way myself. The power gains might be minimal NA, but if you do end up turboing it down the road, you'll be glad you upgraded.

MCarp22 Reader
Sept. 16, 2009 9:01 a.m.

Drove the car today, there is certainly an improvement at part throttle. My car probably runs a bit on the rich side due to the untuned RX-7 airflow meter, so this seems less prone to missfire under a rich mixture. I am sure the dead thermosensor for the ECU is causing it to run rich as well. While subjective, this is good stuff!

Keith SuperDork
Sept. 16, 2009 9:28 a.m.

Nice work!

Just a question - why don't you tune the AFM and fix the thermosensor? Neither's that tough a job.

MCarp22 Reader
Sept. 16, 2009 10:53 a.m.
Keith wrote: Nice work! Just a question - why don't you tune the AFM and fix the thermosensor? Neither's that tough a job.

I tried some AFM "tuning" with the original AFM that the car came with, and it never ran right. The AFM from the RX7 runs it so well i'm afraid to mess anything up.

The thermosensor is a new code since i started driving it again this week. I checked and there's no resistance at the sensor, and i get 5v out of the wiring, so it's lifetime warranty time this afternoon.

Xceler8x Dork
Sept. 16, 2009 12:28 p.m.

I am curious who this would help with turbocharging. I've got my 92 running a BEGI kit to about 6 psi. This seems like it would be a cheap upgrade and not as complex as the Coil On Plug (COP) system.

MCarp22 Reader
Sept. 16, 2009 2:20 p.m.

I'd love to have a turbocharger to tell you. :)

Dec. 3, 2009 2:05 p.m.

curious in revising/testing for a 1.8?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

2 hours ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

5 hours ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

5 hours ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

5 hours ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

14 hours ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

1 day ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

1 day ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

2 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

Taking on the World Rally Championship With an E30

2 days ago in Articles

Bill Caswell invades the World Rally Championship with a 20-year-old BMW.

Your Projects: UR Quattro Resurrection

3 days ago in News

Team Illuminata is breathing life back into this old Quattro.

Project Turbo Miata: A Fresh Engine for Our Endurance Racer

3 days ago in Project Cars

Our turbocharged Mazda Miata racer gets a new heart.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
n8JYuHeLnH5xgPlJjzbJ8efRJ7uCvayW