1 2
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/20 2:23 p.m.
ZOO said:

I don’t remember there being two different whites for GTIs.  Is this a repaint?  Or maybe we didn’t get it in Canada?

Its a factory color. Its off white, almost like a beige. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/20 2:40 p.m.

Oh, I miss my black Mk1 GTI. I suspect I always will. That thing was awesome.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/20 2:41 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Awesome GTI. Honorable mention goes to it's trunkated brother, the Jetta GLI.

I love it.

Trunkate a GTI and you have a GLI. Truncate it and you have a GTI again.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/20 3:03 p.m.
Slippery said:
ZOO said:

I don’t remember there being two different whites for GTIs.  Is this a repaint?  Or maybe we didn’t get it in Canada?

Its a factory color. Its off white, almost like a beige. 

My 1982 Rabbit was much more beige.  I called it VW Racing Beige, but I guess that honour should have gone to cashmere white . . .

Mine was this colour.  With the black flairs from a GTI (they were part of the trim package). 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/28/20 4:15 p.m.

In reply to ZOO :

I believe the beige pictured is navada beige...but I'm not up on my vw colours like I was a decade ago so don't quote me on it. 

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
3/28/20 4:57 p.m.

I'm not sure what the cut off is, but there were two different whites available on MK1s.  Alpine White and Cashmere White.  It would make sense that the Westmoreland built cars were Cashmere, whereas the Wolfsburg built cars were Alpine.

My current beater Caddy:

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/28/20 6:52 p.m.

I want a caddy so badly.  I passed on one a few months ago, it was modded exactly how I'd want it with a scirocco 16v motor/trans, rear discs, 16v front discs, scirocco dash, Mk2 recaro seats, etc.  However it wasn't running and the body needed *alot* of work.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/28/20 7:53 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I almost never see caddies in good condition anymore.  VW was definitely behind the curve on rust prevention.  

Slippery
3/28/20 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

What rear window is on your caddie??

3/28/20 8:26 p.m.

Repop Bubble window from MK1Autohaus.  Every little bit of extra space is worth it to fit a modern size human in a Caddy.

Bubble Window

Slippery
3/28/20 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

Very neat. Never seen one before. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/29/20 5:25 a.m.

Love this thread, having owned roughly 40 MKIs we could post whore for AWHILE! I missed a callaway car on vortex 15 years ago that I really wanted and it would have never left.

ZOO
3/29/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Mojave Beige --  I was able to find a better pic and read the brochure.

ZOO
3/29/20 4:34 p.m.

I don't dream about my CRX Si, or my Elise, or my C4 Corvette.  I do dream about my ridiculously slow, 1.7 Mark 1. 

Of course it was my first "good" used car -- not rusted, not burning oil.  I tracked it, drove it everywhere, and then kind of abandoned it when I got the CRX.  My neighbour resurrected it and drove it a few more years.  I kind of wish I still had it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/20 7:06 p.m.

And you can now follow the GTI saga over on the Classic Motorsports site. 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/2/20 7:51 a.m.

I need to pick up one for a long term project before the prices get super stupid for garbage.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
4/2/20 7:56 a.m.
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado said:

I'm not sure what the cut off is, but there were two different whites available on MK1s.  Alpine White and Cashmere White.  It would make sense that the Westmoreland built cars were Cashmere, whereas the Wolfsburg built cars were Alpine.

My current beater Caddy:

I've followed your postings on this board over the years and you always have cool E36 M3. I wish you posted more of it. Do you Instagram  or Facebook or something?

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/20 10:10 a.m.

Oh geez this brings back the memories. My dads first and last VW was a 70 beetle in that beautiful dark green that he sold when I was about 4. My first and last VW was an 88 MK 2 GTI, with a 16v 1.8L, 5-speed and a rusted clutch cable that I should have replaced immediately when I bought it in 1993 but instead I replaced after I busted the pedal bracket and had that re-welded. It was the first and last car I did a 4 wheel drift in, man that car had all kinds of problems electrically but it was a blast to drive.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
4/2/20 10:24 a.m.

Post pics of the engine bay please!

4/2/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

I don't spend much time around here anymore.  Although with the world being effectively stopped I am spending a little more time here than usual.

I do the Instagrams as ethnic_foodwrap_aficionado.  Mostly motorcycles, bread, cats, and beer over there.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/2/20 7:03 p.m.

In reply to ZOO :

Yup your right, I'm too young to be forgetting stuff like that. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
79UtQmMmp2ZtqbIa6KFLOORIBzKPxcdluCgfjyCORbFO1TbHsqL01dTfRehMcoWM