1 2
Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
8/17/11 7:47 p.m.

yeah I got the shifter from the Mz3 and the ZHP knob. Made it much more notchy, but shortened the throw significantly. The whole setup was around 75-100 so totally worth it in my opinion. I'm about 5'7" and the throw made me lean forward in the seat or I'd miss the 2-3 or 4-5.
The steering just feels slow to me. I have an MG that I think, and I'm in that direction. The M3 was like a bus in comparison. It ain't just the big steering wheel. The MG's is 14". It could easily do with a 30% increase in quickness (however you call the ratio) in my opinion. It's a sportscar.

The engine was sublime though. Just spectacular. I'd almost (almost) not add any power to it.

Joshua
Joshua Reader
8/18/11 1:09 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I was surprised at how slow the steering was and how long the gearshift throw. I remedied the gearshift with one from a z3, but the steering definitely could use some quickening. I agree with about all your other observations though.

Swap in the Z3 steering rack, it's quicker as well.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
8/18/11 2:39 a.m.

So basically what I've gathered its if you want responsive steering, buy a Z3.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
8/18/11 8:09 a.m.

At least the E36 has functional cupholders. My E34 doesn't have them and using the ones in my Miata makes it impossible to shift.

You'll get used to the long throw and steering rack. That's just kinda the BMW/German way. A ZHP knob is a huge improvement, though I kinda prefer the longer, smoother throw in my new (DJ's old) 328is over my E34's shortened shifter which always feels like it needs a bit too much effort. At least on my car, the ZHP knob also sits about an inch lower than the stock one, making the shifts a bit shorter.

The power band on the BMW I6 motors is beautiful. On paper, the M3 doesn't make obscene power. It's been a while (10 years) since I drove one, but I remember it feeling WAY faster than it should. Even the 328is feels surprisingly quick for 190-odd hp. Like Honda, BMW is a company that builds OK cars around really great motors (though great for different reasons).

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/11 9:03 a.m.

I couldn't love my DD M3 any more than I do. It is the best all around car that I have ever owned. The perfect balance of power, torque, and reasonable economy.

My neighbour just sold his 96 M3 -- it was a four-door, European car (the "real" M if you are a badge snob). It was pristine, and I had to restrain myself from purchasing it.

I am at a loss as to what will replace it when the tiime comes . . .

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6kg4tjpHBFXTC3r4Wvq2vhxbkYxcUmq3yGumUTJKtIocx4ZP9SzgqK8x4xky3AvL