1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/19 12:41 p.m.

Back in mid-June, I had the itch for a new car bad:

Duke said:
Duke said:

Went on a car manufacturer's configurator and put together my ideal car.  It's not configured the way your average customer is going to want.  Searched inventory and found one just right at a dealer in CT.

Called.  They won't budge off MSRP.

This car is killing me.  It's literally my perfect vehicle.  It's priced about 20% over what I'd really like to pay, but I could still afford it.  I just won't let myself.

Grrrr.  Somebody who will let themselves is going to get a really nice car.

Then my new best friends wrote:

Cotton said:

Get it man!  You know you’ll regret it if you don’t.

MrChaos said:

treat yo self

My all-time best friend, DW, also said the same thing, numerous times.  So a couple days before July 4th, I called again, and this time they budged (a little):

Duke said:

I splurged.

Last Friday, DW and I hopped on Amtrak for a 5-hour ride from northern Delaware to New London, CT and bought this:

It's a 2019 V60 R-Design in Bursting Blue.  The reasons I took a 5-hour train ride to get it are A) rarity of wagons, B) the color, and C) the option list:

• Polestar Engineered flash - fattens up the power curve significantly, tightens up the shifts, makes stability control defeatable, and moves the AWD bias aft
  • Sport chassis - lowers it about an inch, with firmer damping and sways, makes brake response adjustable
  • Advanced package - all manner of cool stuff like adaptive cruise, heads up display, steerable headlights, 360d overhead view camera, and other gee-whiz stuffs
  • Heated rear seats

It's exactly the way I specced one out on the Volvo configurator - all the stuff I really wanted and nothing I didn't, in an awesome color.  There was a silver one in Virginia that was closer to home and cheaper.  That one deleted the Sport chassis in favor of the self-parking feature.  It also had the base 18" wheels (actually an advantage because I would rather have spent the option upgrade price on my choice of 19" wheels).  But it just didn't grab me the way this one did as soon as I saw it in pictures.

In the end, they dropped a couple grand off sticker, I found a couple extra grand under the couch, and I now have the first new car I've bought for myself since 1995.  I regret nothingk.

• Supercharger and turbo
  • 316 hp @ 5600 rpm > 330 hp @ 6000 rpm
  • 295 lb-ft @ 2200 rpm > 325 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
  • ~4000 lbs
  • AWD w/ 8-speed flappy paddle gearbox
  • 0-60: 5.3 sec
  • 1320: 13.9 sec @ 102mph
boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
7/15/19 12:57 p.m.

Looks GREAT!

Congrats.

Rog

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/19 1:03 p.m.

That's beautiful and couldn't be happier for you! congrats on your unicorn purchase. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/15/19 1:17 p.m.

Wow dude! I love wagons and Volvos, so this ticks my boxes. That is a beauty! You made a good decision. Enjoy!

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/15/19 1:28 p.m.

Very cool! 

Had no idea they did a Polestar flash, and that a flash could do all of THAT. Wow.

Enjoy!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/19 1:30 p.m.

I guarantee that you will have more memories of this car than you ever had of a few extra thousand dollars in your account.

Looks great!

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
7/15/19 1:32 p.m.

If you need any parts let me know!

-Volvo parts guy

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/15/19 1:38 p.m.

Very very cool, now I have the Volvo site open in the other window lol.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/15/19 1:39 p.m.

sharppppppp.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/19 1:40 p.m.

This:

Beats this: 

By eleventy-billion.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
7/15/19 1:46 p.m.

That......Is a nice looking car! Wagons every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/15/19 1:46 p.m.

That looks great! We were at a Volvo dealer this weekend looking at XC90s for the wife and I was swooning over the V90s. 

Volvo has seriously stepped their game up!

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/15/19 1:54 p.m.

I'm going to need you to give that to me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/19 2:02 p.m.
spacecadet said:

That's beautiful and couldn't be happier for you! congrats on your unicorn purchase.

Thanks to everybody who voiced similar sentiments!

CobraSpdRH said:

That looks great! We were at a Volvo dealer this weekend looking at XC90s for the wife and I was swooning over the V90s

Volvo has seriously stepped their game up!

The V90 looks fantastic as well, but it's the same engine in a bigger car.  Surprisingly enough it's only about 150 lbs heavier, but it is still larger than we needed since we have the Concert Coach already.

tjbell said:

If you need any parts let me know!

-Volvo parts guy

Thank you!  I definitely will!  I want to buy the all-weather cargo tray for the back.  This car did not come with any of the protection package items.  I will keep you in mind for anything we need for DW's 2017 S60 as well.

Thanks again to everybody.  I'm excited but still can't shake some lingering guilt.

Opti
Opti Dork
7/15/19 2:02 p.m.

That thing is sweet.

I don't know anything about modern Volvo's but I saw a car of some sort a few days ago and thought those new Volvo's are handsome.

That's probably one of the best looking wagons available today

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/19 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Dat ass, tho:

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/19 2:17 p.m.

Congrats!

I'm jealous. There's a possibility of V60 in the next move for us, but I won't get away with anything like that sort of configuration...

_
_ HalfDork
7/15/19 2:20 p.m.

How much extra was it? I guarantee the next time the kids ask for a Disney trip, you put your foot down (the right one) and the car reminds them that this Volvo IS magical. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/19 2:22 p.m.
_ said:

How much extra was it? I guarantee the next time the kids ask for a Disney trip, you put your foot down (the right one) and the car reminds them that this Volvo IS magical. 

The Polestar flash is about $1200 on a new car, and they can do it to most Volvos if you know to ask.  It doesn't affect warranty, emissions, or fuel economy when done by a Volvo certified mechanic.

On an engine with 500 miles on it, last night it gave me 27 mpg sailing down the Jersey Turnpike at sustained speeds between 75-85 mph.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/19 2:33 p.m.
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/15/19 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Huh, I could get an additional 37 Nm (about 27 ft-lb) of torque out of Mrs T.J.s XC70. It already has not enough traction, so more torque would just mean I could buy new tires sooner.

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
7/15/19 3:49 p.m.

The P* software retails for $1195.00, if you ever want to make the drive to Boston, I can get you a deal on it!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/15/19 3:55 p.m.

I am blown away it would do the 1/4 mile under 14 secs and over the ton.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/15/19 3:58 p.m.

Blue.  

Well done.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
7/15/19 4:18 p.m.

That's way lighter than I imagined. Looks sharp.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZlusuWuyo52dVE2Rk2b7lhVq5xZedWtGhorsBicP8BggOo2Ofb4jZ4np3cjpVN1p