1 2 3
stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/1/15 8:11 a.m.

Personally I've never felt any concern about the location of the stock gas tank on these trucks.

I had Rhino Liner put in the bed of my '66, and like it a lot. I had it color matched to the body of the truck so it's unobtrusive, and the color match is spot on.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/1/15 8:19 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Personally I've never felt any concern about the location of the stock gas tank on these trucks. I had Rhino Liner put in the bed of my '66, and like it a lot. I had it color matched to the body of the truck so it's unobtrusive, and the color match is spot on.

My biggest issue with Tunatruck was not the safety, but the smell. There is a grommet around the filler. That grommet is a simple rubber element pushed against the cab. No matter how good each and every line is inside the cab, you'll always get some smell there after filling up. Some of us (Tunawife) are really sensitive to that smell.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/1/15 8:43 a.m.

Hmm - never noticed any gas smell in my truck, but maybe my smeller isn't as sensitive as it used to be.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
12/1/15 8:58 a.m.

Why not a side saddle tank with a cage if you are worried about safety?

Just don't let the media attach explosives before crash testing.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/1/15 9:28 a.m.

If you find "second" tall I'd suspect that big block is a bit out of tune.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/1/15 12:02 p.m.

Tuna: Oh man, I'm hoping to avoid any cutting on this truck since it's so straight. We'll see what I end up wanting to do.

jstand: Hehe, good point!

Kenny: I'm sure it is out of tune, but it goes just fine from a stop in 2nd. But it still seems taller than a normal first gear.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/1/15 12:23 p.m.

guy at work is selling this.. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5337339250.html

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/1/15 1:14 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Tuna: Oh man, I'm hoping to avoid any cutting on this truck since it's so straight. We'll see what I end up wanting to do. jstand: Hehe, good point! Kenny: I'm sure it is out of tune, but it goes just fine from a stop in 2nd. But it still seems taller than a normal first gear.

You can probably find a neat place to route the filler if and when you decide to move the tank. You could just buy a new grommet and all new rubber for the in-cab lines and deal with being careful when you fill up.

One idea that I dismissed based on ease would have been the tailight. That would involve essentially no cutting.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/4/16 8:21 a.m.

Drove it to work today. I've driven it more than the prior owner at this point, and he had it for many years. I have done nothing to it, but it needs a fuel pump - it loses prime after sitting overnight. After a bit of cranking it starts well.

I'll try to get to the pump soon.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
8/4/16 9:50 a.m.

Awesome truck! Great score

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/16 10:24 a.m.

Nice score.

After years of being with out a pickup I finally scored one that is my latest project. Life is just better with a pickup in the driveway.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/4/16 11:46 a.m.

Did you really find that in Ohio?

The only time I have ever seen that era of truck that clean was out in the desert. I used to have a '77 F100, but it was a total rust mess. And that was 20 years ago.

The color is cool- we had a '67 F100 when I was a kid out in Idaho. Too bad we gave it away for a crappy paint job.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/4/16 12:13 p.m.

Something about well preserved old trucks is awesome. Good score.

My first company truck was a 76 Ford F-150. Except for a cranky carb, it ran well and pulled well. It also came with the 360. It only had one tank and you were looking for a gas station with great regularity. My trips to Florida took planning and multiple stops.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/4/16 12:19 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Did you really find that in Ohio?

Yes, but it was a transplant. It came here from CA and had some work done then was parked for the better part of 10 years I think. I resurrected it and drove it right from their garage and into mine. It hasn't seen salt, that is clear.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister New Reader
8/4/16 1:10 p.m.

so basically . . . it drives like a truck.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/7/17 9:33 a.m.

I should learn not to push things. When a machine tells you there is something going wrong, fix it asap! I put off and put off the fuel pump due to the fittings on the new one not matching up to the hard lines on the truck. Well, you can guess where that landed me - on the side of the road with a truck that wouldn't re-start. I got the truck towed home, which wasn't a total loss. My nephew and I had been driving around in it. He's about 21 or 22 and a bit of a car guy; he drives a very clean stock Del Sol. I think he thought my truck was kind of neat but wasn't that into it. The tow truck driver spent the whole time he was driving us back to my house raving about the truck and said it was "an honor" to tow it. Hehe - I think my nephew's estimation of the truck went up a bit after that.

And, after I paid my ~$75, I was putting away the keys and saw that the other set had the Hagerty tag on it for roadside assistance. Yes, I paid for roadside assistance and then, when I actually needed a tow, paid for it, too. Whoops.

I spent some time in the Home Depot racing aisles (meaning: the brass adapters and fittings section) and made an adapter to make the new fuel pump mate up to what was on the truck, and we were back in business. I can't blame the truck - as I mentioned here I knew the fuel pump was going out. It made itself known for months. I just chose to ignore it, to my doom. Or at least, to my slight inconvenience.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/17 5:35 p.m.

Fixed

NickD wrote: Awe, nice one. This '65 F-250 Camper Special bounces around my area and the patina is perfect. I would be hesitant to paint it. The beauty of the Fords from this era is that they are built like bank vaults compared to the Chevys
759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/7/17 8:51 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to dculberson: Remember all the work I did on Tunatruck mounting a tank between the frame rails and custom building a fuel filler? That. Everything else is hacked (like the bed-fill) or semi-dangerous (side saddle tanks). Cool truck! That first gear is probably a granny gear. Don't use it. It's more for stump pulling and such.

Or when you throw the snow plow on and become THE most popular person in the immediate area when winter comes around......

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/7/17 9:59 p.m.

Snow plow! I don't even like to drive this thing in the rain.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/19/18 7:15 p.m.

this truck is freaking awesome. good stuff!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/19/18 8:57 p.m.

Here we are one year later and all this pristine vintage ford sheet metal is still 'INTACT'????   

KiwiLada
KiwiLada GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/20/18 3:15 a.m.
dculberson said:
alfadriver wrote: Did you really find that in Ohio?

Yes, but it was a transplant. It came here from CA and had some work done then was parked for the better part of 10 years I think. I resurrected it and drove it right from their garage and into mine. It hasn't seen salt, that is clear.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/20/18 9:04 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Here we are one year later and all this pristine vintage ford sheet metal is still 'INTACT'????   

Indeed! No salt and very little rain for it. The rain thing is mostly because the windshield leaks a bit, but really I have more "regular" cars for that sort of driving. The Ford still starts easily and is a ton of fun to cruise around in. I haven't driven it much this year since the MR2 is now on the road - I need to pull it out and dust it off!!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/8/22 1:57 p.m.

I can't believe I've had this truck for over six years. The only work I've done on it since the fuel pump - other thank oil changes of course - is the master cylinder went bad and I swapped that out. Then the carb started acting up (hard starting) so I rebuilt it and then the truck was running beautifully - and the master cylinder went out again. Those crappy parts these days drive me crazy. That was about two months ago, the total end of the driving season for this thing in Ohio, and I haven't done anything with it since. Given spring is just around the corner, I need to get the master cylinder replaced again. Anyone have suggestions on a "known good" source for master cylinders? Or should I take the current one apart and see if it needs seals or something?

I'm considering refreshing a few things and selling this on Bring A Trailer. A very similar truck fetched six figures last year. I looooove my truck, but six figures is multiples of what I have in all my other toys combined. We'll see.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/8/22 2:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I had an old master cylinder that was impossible to get parts for sleeved by a place called Apple Hydraulics out of New York. That may be an option. My experience with reman stuff is they usually just slap a new piston and seals in and call it good, but the bore is worn so the seals fail again pretty quickly.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZjw8mapnNm6HKkFS9DNkylrxPTmrgwoDTV0sHy102le5db2YxbmhqJU3hmukSfF