1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/3/12 4:46 p.m.

Very cool. Tell you what, if you want this in the build section, just let us know. Either way, thanks for sharing it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/12 7:15 a.m.

Maybe this will help. Not all are true blueprints, but you may find some helpful dimensions.

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/porsche/

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/porsche/27777/view/porsche_906/

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/4/12 8:48 a.m.

I don't know, but Fran at Race Car Replicas built a 904 or 906 for a customer using a Boxster S drivetrain. He should have the body molds and blueprints for a chassis. Fran is a great guy to talk to and extremely friendly. Give him a call, if all else fails I'm sure he'll be a great reference. Tell him Brian Hamilton from Texas sent you.

http://race-car-replicas.com/

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/14 6:42 p.m.

This continues to be very cool.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
5/6/14 8:33 a.m.

Wow, you have a genuine 906 body of a copy pulled from 906-126? Google says 906-126 sold for €540,500 (Approx $750k) and is in Europe.

This is a seriously cool project.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/14 10:04 a.m.

On most internet forums if someone posted up "I'm going to build a 906," I would think, "uh huh...that's nice." Something tells me this one is going to be different. Thanks for sharing and please post back. This is awesome!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/6/14 10:20 a.m.

Sweet. I like it. Is your 906 going to be a track only car or are you going to make it street legal?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
5/6/14 10:55 a.m.

I got to see a 906 in person at Goodwood - what a striking car! That era of endurance racing spawned so many beautiful prototypes. I wish you the best on this project.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
5/6/14 11:43 a.m.

Wicked

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/6/14 12:54 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I just wanted to clarify the lineage of this "car". These were prototype race cars. They made the minimum necessary to meet FIA regulations. Generally the 9-Oh series consisted of 50 or so cars each. As race cars, they were often damaged or fitted with different bodies for specific races, so "original" cars don't exist. Provided you have the one tube with the six-digit serial number, you have the original car. Everything else could be replaced yesterday, but you'd still have "the original" 906-1xx. The actual history of this body is pure speculation. The rear was certainly used on one of the cars and then removed. If I can find a car with that paint layout and without a greenhouse, I'll feel pretty confident, but regardless, I'm over the moon to have original parts, wherever they came from, rather than trying to fab a body myself.

I will send the photo to a buddy of mine who is neck deep in 550's and 906's if anybody will know the scheme he will.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/14 1:00 p.m.

This is freaking awesome

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/6/14 1:05 p.m.

This is extraordinarily cool. I've been to the Porsche Museum twice and the 9-oh series cars are the highlight of the building. To me these cars are prettier than their same-era Italian competition.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/6/14 1:15 p.m.

RT Holland raced orange 906's according to my googling. Didn't see any with black stripes though. Maybe you have a body from a Ben Pon car.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/6/14 1:16 p.m.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/14 1:20 p.m.

What a great build! This 906 was at Amelia this year. Very neat car.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/6/14 2:21 p.m.

He will know those as well. He went a little nuts on research when he bought an original 550 to race about 20 years back.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/6/14 2:45 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: It will be street legal. For economics, I may use the drivetrain from a WRX, as much as I dislike Subaru. Ideally it would be 911 powered and may be eventually, but Porsches are expensive and I have MG money.

I know that makes some sense. But something else to think about- you are looking at an air cooled flat 6 that was original, right? Seems like it is realistic to find a 70's era 911 that is more unloved than others- so at least you are starting with a more similar powertrain.

Like this one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Porsche-911-Engine-/171320778728?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e3839fe8&vxp=mtr#ht_38wt_1105

or get this complete car, which I bet you can use some of the parts in your project- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-911T-Coupe-1969-Porsche-911T-Coupe-Project-Numbers-Match-/141278499841?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20e4dad401&item=141278499841&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_536wt_1105

In other words, at least try to find an appropriate engine to start with. Then try to trade up in power.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
5/6/14 3:23 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Apis_Mellifera wrote: It will be street legal. For economics, I may use the drivetrain from a WRX, as much as I dislike Subaru. Ideally it would be 911 powered and may be eventually, but Porsches are expensive and I have MG money.
blah, blah, blah... In other words, at least try to find an appropriate engine to start with. Then try to trade up in power.

^ I agree. I think a nice 13B or 20B rotary would be appropriate!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/6/14 4:19 p.m.

I saw a 908 @ the PIR Historics back in 2009.

VERY cool on building one of your own... I sincerly hope when it comes time for you to put an engine in... it isn't a Subaru....

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/14 6:27 p.m.

You could pick up a Corvair drivetrain just to get it moving under its own power. Flat six, aircooled, with a proper transaxle. It seems like complete, good condition Corvair’s can easily be bought for ~6K so a decent drivetrain should be doable on ~3K.

Amazing project regardless.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/14 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Apis_Mellifera:

One other thing you should bring into your decision is a systems aspect. There's a HUGE difference in systems for a air cooled engine vs. a water cooled one.

On a 906, where do you put a radiator? It never had one.

Oil coolers and tanks, sure. But no water. That's a lot of plumbing to add.

Heck, I'd start with a 2.0 Bug engine before going to some water cooled thing for a 906 kind of car.

stroker
stroker Dork
5/6/14 10:13 p.m.

I was thinking just the other day how I'd go about building such a thing, up to the point of checking books at Amazon to try and find something with sufficient technical information to get an idea how to dimension the space frame. And here you go and do it! (standing ovation)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/8/14 8:45 a.m.

this is of interest

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
5/8/14 8:58 a.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: Please don't make use a Corvair or VW engine...

Not sure I understand the reluctance to use a flat 6 air cooled Corvair while embracing a flat 4 water cooled Scoobie, but here's another cheap(ish) suggestion. The 906 was the replacement for the 904/6 which was the 6 cyl version of the 904 which had the older 4 cam flat 4 engine. So at a pinch to get started what about some version of VW flat 4, they are almost the ultimate lego engine in that you can mix and match. Now, 200+ isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than even an unloved mid year 2.7 flat 6.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/8/14 9:02 a.m.

Did any of the original 906's get made as a street car to satisfy an FIA reqirement (to later be a racer)? I know there were a bunch of GT40 street cars to meet some requirements, and Ferrari is famous for faking an entire production run- but having one or two street cars.

The 906 is the same era, and seems to have similar homologation issues....

It's fun to learn the kind of details you are posting, Apis_M.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ey5y7ybr0RtUBGnJntn5cj8FaIyj9GuRyGa6FXygYGwtNCCf2Z24TpVsqbh7lPZK