1 2 3 4
alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/8/14 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Scouring e-bay seems to find some reasonable solutions for the 6 cyl Porsche engine. Where I get confused is the trans.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
5/8/14 9:06 a.m.

Am I just uninformed or something? You can build a VW ac motor with decent power and keep it in the family at least...

Use that until something more correct comes along.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/14 9:09 a.m.

Why would you want a 4-cylinder of any kind in a 906 replica? I'd go with a Subaru flat six, which is cheap and easy to work with and makes a nice noise without the P-car sticker shock (though the Air cooled flat sixes are damned reliable but damned expensive on the buy-in).

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/8/14 9:16 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Why would you want a 4-cylinder of any kind in a 906 replica? I'd go with a Subaru flat six, which is cheap and easy to work with and makes a nice noise without the P-car sticker shock (though the Air cooled flat sixes are damned reliable but damned expensive on the buy-in).

Easy- the subie is water cooled. he just noted how tight the space was for an oil cooler. Where's he going to put a radiator and all the associated plumbing for that?

Seems like the cost/work for a water cooled engine makes the subie just as expensive as a P flat 6. Moreso if the long term plan is to be so correct to power with the appropiate engine (and it seems that way- that's a TON of work to have original parts and be as close to correct and original, only to power with the totally wrong engine).

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/8/14 9:20 a.m.

Good points on the challenges of using a water cooled engine. VW or Porsche air cooled engines is all I would consider for this. Sure a Corvair drivetrain may work, but why go to all the trouble of creating a classic Porsche and stuffing a corvair engine in it? Since money seems to be the limitation, a VW engine is what I would do to get the car up and running at first if a P-car flat 6 couldn't be located in the budget. There is plenty of time for the drivetrain to be settled anyway. All you have now is a 3d printed small scale tube frame and parts of a body. I would progress with the chassis and body while putting out feelers for a Porsche drivetrain for it. By the time the car is ready, chances are you'll come across what you need and can afford.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/8/14 9:47 a.m.
T.J. wrote: All you have now is a 3d printed small scale tube frame and parts of a body.

A tangent that may need it's own thread... But think about this a little. Building your own chassis with a plan is a very accepted practice on this board.

What other cars can be made using this idea?

The easier ones are ones that you can get the glass body made for it- bonus if the car was glass in the first place.

I know where one can get an Alfa TZ body made- they are in Portland.

The next ones, I think, would be the cool cars with pretty straight forward bodies- such as the Porsche 908 with a later smooth body on it.

Anyway, given a 3d model of a tube chassis, think of what can be done....

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/8/14 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Apis_Mellifera:

What about FIA requirements to make street cars? There's a homologation issue, isn't there?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/14 2:40 p.m.

You need to find a scruffy 911 SC targa, pull the drivetrain and part the rest of the car to make up the difference.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/8/14 4:54 p.m.

My thought - search out a ratty but running 914 and use that as a donor for the drivetrain, just make the engine bay big enough to swap in a flat 6 when one becomes available.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/14 5:00 p.m.

I saw this car at a PCA meeting in Connecticut last year.

photo SpeedSport001.jpg

photo SpeedSport002.jpg

photo SpeedSport003.jpg

photo SpeedSport022.jpg

Woody
5/8/14 5:18 p.m.

photo SpeedSport019.jpg

Woody
5/8/14 5:18 p.m.

photo SpeedSport018.jpg

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/21/14 8:33 a.m.

FYI, the 914 transmission should be plan A.

They used 901 transmissions, which are the same as what was in a 904, 906, and 911. Using a 911 transmission will (for some reason) cost you more money, and require you to flip the gear stack.

901 transmissions are a few hundred dollars, and practically bullet proof (up to about 250 horsepower).

You can use a 915 transmission if you plan for more power, but I personally don't like the way they shift.

You can use a G50, but they cost a million dollars (slight exaggeration).

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
5/21/14 9:27 a.m.

Great project! Before two way radios were used, lights were put on the roofs of some cars so the crew would know what the driver was thinking. Maybe that's what was attached to your roof?

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
5/21/14 9:38 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: You can use a 915 transmission if you plan for more power, but I personally don't like the way they shift.

Me either. I grenaded the trans in this car at an autocross once because I thought I put it in third gear, but it was really in some weird no man's land.

Talk about a bad day at an autocross.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
5/21/14 9:40 a.m.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I just wanted to commend you on going through with this. Know that I fully intend to live vicariously through you, and, regardless of what engine you finally end up choosing, this is one seriously cool car. Thank you for making this community so awesome, and good luck.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/21/14 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Apis_Mellifera:

did you find a set for a reasonable price? Sure hope so.

and thanks for posting the "assembled" pictures- that series of P cars is just so good looking. The 906 in particular. I remember having a metal model of one as a kid.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
5/21/14 11:58 a.m.

Cooling issues aside, would this fit?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/21/14 12:39 p.m.

figured since I was so critical of the Subaru... I should TRY to help you with a solution... if I find one. I'm not sure if this is feasible... but there is a 1977 911 block on CL for $200

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4479503881.html

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/21/14 1:24 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I haven't purchased the engine/gearbox yet. I think I'll probably buy a complete 914 that's rotten in the middle like they do and then look for the 911 engine.

I need to go back and look at my notes but some of the kit cars guys I run with use the audi 90 box with the 911 motors as they hold up better then the Porsche stuff out of the 914.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/24/14 12:06 a.m.

This build is madness.

Cool beyond words.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/17/14 6:58 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: figured since I was so critical of the Subaru... I should TRY to help you with a solution... if I find one. I'm not sure if this is feasible... but there is a 1977 911 block on CL for $200

A local Porsche guy has a flat 2 liter 6 available for $200. Yes $200. It needs a block... photo to follow.......

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/17/14 7:19 p.m.

Ive got a complete 914 local to me for 250. I can pick up, pull and help ship anything you want from it. Its too far gone to save.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/17/14 7:47 p.m.

I like this project. If you need anything drawn up in CAD or anything that can be done with Solidworks, let me know. I'd love to help.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/17/14 8:28 p.m.

Im outside Charlotte nc. Car is in seagrove nc. He won't part it out, but will let it go complete. Its an injected 70 914. Motor supposedly stuck, but I cant see how he would have checked.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7kC0CPoj4xmNdD3FKIwnrQhBoHiudSXWP8uIvAFY9Z89Gkm0MX8NF7uVmfZoR7Sk