1 2 3 4
unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/17/14 9:14 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote:
unevolved wrote: I like this project. If you need anything drawn up in CAD or anything that can be done with Solidworks, let me know. I'd love to help.
Actually, what I could use is a CAD file of the rear window, doors, and door windows. I'm not sure how that could happen, but thanks for the offer.

I'm not sure how accurately Solidworks could model those complex curves, you may need someone competent with Rhino or similar. I guess it depends on what you need, though. If it's something that could be conveyed with pictures with a tape measure next to the object, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/17/14 9:57 p.m.

portland oregon here... so is the engine... just to note photo shows hole in block, but the rest is all there

but I'll help anyway I can.... even to the point of dis-assembly for easier shipment.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/17/14 10:02 p.m.

Couldn't tell you as im not really a 914 guy eitger. Just really want one of my own someday.

If you want, call me during daylight hours and we'll work something out. 828-260-1254

Michael

EDIT: heres a link. Owner swears you can get a nc title through the dmv

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
6/18/14 6:18 a.m.

http://www.2040cars.com/Porsche/914/1970-porsche-914-a-c-car-for-parts-or-no-reserve-455368/

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/18/14 6:33 a.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I'll be driving down to Oak Island via I40 next month, but I don't think I can drag home a 914.

I live on Oak Island. I know where there is a 914 that looks like it hasn't moved in a decade. No idea if it is for sale or not or if the owner would be willing to part it out or not.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/18/14 10:10 a.m.

Moved here last fall. I live on the island. The 914 is in Southport.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
6/18/14 2:26 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I don't know 914s, but would that be a 2.0 with the better gearbox?

If it's a '70, then it's a 1.7liter with the early transmission. ('73 and later had the better trans and the 2 liter as an option). The '70 914-6 had the 2 liter 6 cyl, but I doubt you're going to find one of those for cheap.

A63buggy
A63buggy
10/22/15 2:09 p.m.

Apis, a year and nothing new on the 906 front? Back burner but still simmering I hope!?

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
10/22/15 4:51 p.m.

I haven't read the entire thread but I didn't see any mention of Beck being a resource. Is he possibly a resource? http://www.beckspeedster.com/

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/22/15 5:32 p.m.

By the way, which version of bendtech did you buy?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/22/15 6:57 p.m.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/30/15 9:55 a.m.

This is such an awesome build!

Did you score a transaxle yet? There's one listed for sale in the Open Classifies: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/porsche-914-transaxle-5-speed-birmingham-al/107229/page1/

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
10/30/15 10:49 a.m.

I'm rooting for you!

A63buggy
A63buggy New Reader
11/8/15 10:41 p.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote: . Hopefully I can buy a bigger garage soon that has a small detached house.

Funny you should say that. I'm moving for a new job. Simply buying an RV so I can hunt for a warehouse to work out of. Preferably a nice vintage brick building.

Always said I needed a garage more than a house. I'll be slammed till the new year getting up to speed with the new job (Phoenix area). But when the MGA project is close to done I'd like to talk about the molds for bodies. I'd be willing to get the set up from Washington State to help things along. I want to build something as well.

I need to tweek the main roll cage to meet a heavier standard for La Carrera Panamericana rather than being to strictly original. I'll sacrifice some added weight to prevent roof cave in off a Mexican cliff if it came to that.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
11/9/15 6:50 a.m.

Just read through this thread. I reside in Sutton, WV and have a contract in Weston that very well have some Aircooled stuff potentially for sale. Message me on here and I'll see if I can help.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/22/16 9:13 a.m.

Bump.

Any progress?

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/22/16 10:09 a.m.

This,may sound funny, but it's true. If you want this8 to be as accurate as possible, make sure your welds have a lot of slag. Porsche race cars from that era have some of the worst looking welds ever. I've judged concours and always look at the welds for accuracy. Also, their fibreglass was so thin as to be translucent before painting.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
1/31/17 6:37 p.m.

Awesome project. I wish I could find a picture of it but we have a local eccentric Porsche guy who has an original Porsche 917-20 body. He fabricated the whole frame/suspension himself and stuck a 911 engine in because you know, Flat 12's are kinda expensive. It was made to be street legal at one time and he used to go to work in it.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/31/17 6:40 p.m.

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the kids...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/17 6:51 p.m.

Wierd. I was just thinking the other day, " What ever happened to...?"

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/17 7:39 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Wierd. I was just thinking the other day, " What ever happened to...?"

So was Jerry Seinfeld, apparently.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/17 8:14 p.m.

I know how it is with having kids. We're still rooting for you!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/17 10:37 p.m.

The ying and yang of kids and cars is always a tricky balancing act.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/1/17 7:02 a.m.
Apis Mellifera wrote: We also bought a farm. Lawn to mow and stuff to fix, so I just haven't had the room/desire to work on the 906.

Oh snap. I was going to tell you my daughter is selling her house in St Albans. It has garage with a big old house attached.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/1/17 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera:

Pm sent.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PhUTz7FrDH2XoL9QA8JJJ8tAPMsk33kC4iSud3NNBsYP8DHiZvgv58CyhS8IchOi