1 2
Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/2/11 7:56 p.m.

I picked up a new project today. Well, actually, I'll be bringing it home tomorrow. BABE rally maybe?

1972 Saab Sonett III - priced to drive home at $450. Sure, a bit rough, but it runs great. Tiny points of rust bubbling under the battery, and one hole in the passenger rocker that should be easy to patch up. The rest of the chassis is wicked solid.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

It comes with an entire carload of parts. BA/BE starts at the beginning of June... I could be ready! Maybe!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/2/11 8:04 p.m.

Nice!

any swaps for the V4?

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/2/11 8:11 p.m.

I've seen lots of people say that it is space-limited. But I would love to do a bike-engine swap.

Personally, I would love to do a Ducati 999 Desmo engine, paint the car gray and paint the wheels red ala Senna edition.

Maybe a Honda VFR V4?

Rotary?

Who knows? I am so excited!!

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/2/11 8:16 p.m.

Want.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/2/11 9:06 p.m.

I think a vmax engine would go nicely in one of those.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
1/2/11 10:40 p.m.

Its a Cologne Ford V4, right? Is that not the same architecture of the 2.8 V6, which would also be similar to the 4.0 used in Ranger trucks? I see a mild nose stretch in your future.

Or am I completely wrong?

Raze
Raze Dork
1/3/11 8:02 a.m.

I approve

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 8:08 a.m.

Why not drop in (2) V-Twins?

AquaHusky
AquaHusky New Reader
1/3/11 8:47 a.m.

The first thing that came to mind was the 850GT. Seen one of those parked behind a shop, never moved for years and had the factory repair manual in it.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 8:50 a.m.

These have always looked interesting. Also, there's one about 5 miles from me that has been sitting for years...

How did it drive assuming you drove it home?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/3/11 9:38 a.m.

Just so you know, before you replace the battery look very carefully. It is a positive ground system.

Let me repeat that - it is a positive ground system, not a negative ground. If you were to replace the battery and accidentally hook the ground cable up to the negative you will get little fires everywhere, the whole interior will fill up with smoke and it will cost you a bundle to fix it.

This is one of those facts I wish I didn't know so well.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/11 9:47 a.m.

just to be weird... a big MotoGuzzi V2, or perhaps a 2.3L Triumph Rocket III engine?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 10:17 a.m.

Spinning triangles?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
1/3/11 2:01 p.m.

How the *(^%$$#%^&^ do you people find deals like that?????!!!! $450 and it RUNS??!! Dammit!

oh, ahem, yeah, cool man.

As cool as all the bike engine swaps sound, I really wonder if that's one of those cars that could be worth a good bit in the fairly near future due to it's relative rarity. I might just keep the v4 assumin it's worth saving.

egoman
egoman New Reader
1/3/11 2:13 p.m.

My buddy has a saab sonnet for ice racing with a supercharged rotary and a planetary transmission. We replaced the rotary/ porsche combo it originally had and the car became much better balanced by reducing the front overhang.

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/3/11 3:39 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: How the *(^%$$#%^&^ do you people find deals like that?????!!!! $450 and it RUNS??!! Dammit!

exactly what i thought ^^^^^
I couldn't believe this deal lol
I've been looking for a challenge car and love the lines of the sonnet III, and we're gonna put a v8 in it anyways (lol) so the engine doesn't matter can't believe the steal the op got though..

subrew
subrew Reader
1/3/11 3:47 p.m.

Saab Sonett thread on GRM forums.

-half the people spell Sonett wrong, check

-v6 ford engine swap gets mentioned, check

-rotary engine swap gets mentioned, check

Good luck to the OP! Sounds like quite a challenge.

Chris H.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/3/11 4:20 p.m.

I didn't spell Sonett wrong!

Chris, you need to write a profile on the Sonett for the magazine, then my apparent trend of having whatever you're writing about will continue!

The $450 thing isn't that tough. All of my cars are deals like that. Some include: '91 Miata - $500. '94 Swift GT - $500. '94 Volvo 854 T5 - $700 (the kid said he'd take $600 but I felt so bad for him). Three of my B-bodies have been $350, running. '91 325is - $500. All of these were either drivers already or very nearly so.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/3/11 4:21 p.m.

Oh, and the Saab doesn't have functional headlights yet, so I didn't have the daylight left again today to bring it home. I may end up having to have it towed, as I no longer have a tow vehicle.

Unless there are any Chicago GRMers here with a truck and trailer who would like gas money, dinner, and some good company for a couple hours...

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
1/3/11 4:39 p.m.

Nice find! Looks pretty decent for the price. Soccer balls alloy wheels too.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
1/3/11 4:39 p.m.

got a truck - the trailer is iffy - 10ft landscaper (currently loaded with crap). If you can beg, borrow, steal, rent a trailer we can go get it.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/3/11 8:21 p.m.

I could rent a dolly from Ed's Rental. It's fwd, after all...

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/3/11 8:23 p.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: just to be weird... a big MotoGuzzi V2

+1. Partly because I am fairly sure a bunch of the Moto Guzzi bikes had external transmissions and that should make your life easier.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/3/11 8:29 p.m.

I thought this thread was going to be about the OPs choice in women.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/3/11 8:31 p.m.
Ignorant wrote: I thought this thread was going to be about the OPs choice in women.

Nah, I'd have put that in Off Topic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kgp1bYnrKW6mYFmkrkm8RaHSawwwyIfrMC6ZIEp6I1ko0mi6e1KkKIAw8eUmWYe9