1 2
Bret
Bret None
7/14/08 1:24 p.m.

Ok so I’ve been away for a while (work & family issues) and as some of you may or may not remember - I'd been talking about getting a new Mustang GT for years (well actually ever since 2004/2005 when the latest generation first debuted). Well last weekend I finally took the plunge and purchased one. But rather than a GT I flipped the extra coinage for a brand spanking new 08’ Highland Green Bullitt!

Don't get me wrong I've still got my MG & my Porsche 928 - I'll do all I can to never get rid of them. But with regards to this modern car? All I can say is – this is the first truely "NEW" car I've bought since the early eighties. But looking back I’ve always liked the looks of the 2001 Bullitt Mustangs over the GT, but it wasn’t until the body makeover in 2005 that I started seriously considering a new vehicle again. In fact in when the new Stang came out in '05 my first thought was "Damn! I wonder if they'll do another Bullitt".

Anyway last saturday I hadn't even spent 15 minutes behind the wheel of the Bullitt during the test drive before I was totally sold. In fact I told the salesperson (a Bullitt owner herself) that we needed to head back to the dealership & get the paperwork started – because I couldn’t see going home without it.

Now we’re all gear heads here so we should all know the significance of Ford's special edition “Bullitt” Mustangs. But for those of you too young to remember or where trapped in a parallel universe for the last three or four decades – the Bullitt Mustang it is a modern recreation or tribute if you will to the original Highland Green 390 Mustang used by Steve McQueen in the Movie by the same name. Often acclaimed as the best car chase scene ever filmed. Pitting our hero’s Mustang against a black 440 Charger driven by the two evil hit men.

Back to the present & my overall impression: I can’t believe how awesome this car it is, compared to most modern cars. I’ve driven many a common V6 Mustang rental car and even a few Mustang GTs that belonged to friends or taken out for a test drive. Likewise I also spent some time behind the wheel of a Shelby Mustang GT-H (“H” for Hertz) convertible. All that and I have to say that the Bullitt is by far the best handling Mustang I’ve ever driven. Certainly better than any of the aforementioned Mustangs and while I’d have to say that the Shelby GT-H seemed quicker (albeit not by much) – the Bullitt felt significantly more poised in the twisties thanks to some potent upgrades to the suspension. Granted the GT-H was a convertible and that might have been the telling factor – as the Shelby GT coupe should be a firmer handling ride than the convertible version. Still while I won’t pretend it was cheap (although pricing did drop a little from when they first came out) after the first 24 hours of ownership I feel defiantly feel I got my money’s worth!

Yet another thing that impresses me was the 5-speed manual. Besides the retro aluminum ball shifter knob that is oh so cool – I totally loved the feel of the clutch and how positive the short shifter felt & feel it is a vast improvement over the look & feel of the regular GT manual. Moreover the shifter position is ergonomically speaking in a much better position compared to the previous generation Mustangs.

Its been a couple of days now and I still feel like it’s Christmas eve and am so excited that I’m having a hard time sleeping because all I can think about is when I can take her out on the road again for a “spirited” driving.

So had GRM ever done a review of the Bullitt?

Oh well got'a go.

Bret

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/14/08 1:25 p.m.

Yes, in the August issue. We really liked it.

Bret
Bret New Reader
7/14/08 1:29 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, in the August issue. We really liked it.

I thought so. But I didn't see it in the reviews section here on line.

Guess I'll recheck my August issue.

Bret

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/14/08 1:34 p.m.

Hard to miss it in the August issue...............also known as "The Mustang" issue.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 2:05 p.m.

ooooo, preetteeeee

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/14/08 2:08 p.m.

I will own an 05+ Mustang.

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
7/14/08 3:38 p.m.

I hate u

awesome , awesome car.

minimac
minimac Dork
7/14/08 3:48 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Hard to miss it in the August issue...............also known as "The Mustang" issue.

How come I didn't hear any bitchin' when every other issue is loaded with Miatai?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/14/08 3:55 p.m.
minimac wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: Hard to miss it in the August issue...............also known as "The Mustang" issue.
How come I didn't hear any bitchin' when every other issue is loaded with Miatai?

I'm not a Mustang guy. The only 'stang article in that issue that I didn't care for was the rundown of the different tuning setups that you could drop your car off at a specialty shop and slap down $20k+ for. There weren't even really reviews of driving impressions.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
7/14/08 4:00 p.m.

Isn't Highland Green and Bullitt redundant?

Shouldn't the Bullitt Mustang only be one color?

Like Jumbo Shrimp? Government Intelligence?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 4:01 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/430/

Bret
Bret New Reader
7/14/08 4:20 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Isn't Highland Green and Bullitt redundant? Shouldn't the Bullitt Mustang only be one color? Like Jumbo Shrimp? Government Intelligence?

Hey now? As my 9 year old says - "don't be hater".

You may laugh just as hard as I did – but believe it or not the last generation Bullitt that came out in 2001 offered “three” color options. Highland Green (of course), Black and of all things – a "Blue" Bullitt. Not sure what they were thinking for those choices.

While I love my Green Machine – I have to admit that the new Black Bullitts have a stealthy street fighter persona about them that just ooze the same kind of coolness that the king of cool himself - McQueen was known for. So it works for me.

But I have to concur that if we want to be technical about it – a true Bullitt should be Highland Green just like the original.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 4:53 p.m.

pretty colour on an awesome car. I will admit I have not liked any of the "modern" stangs until the newest generation came out. .. so from the original GT500 till the Bullet.. I have been a mustang hater...

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
7/14/08 6:05 p.m.

I caught Bullit on UniversalHD last night. Still one of the best movies ever, and I still think the best "real" car chase on film, though Ronin is a darn close second (and the BMW Films production "Star" still makes me laugh hard). Enjoy your new ride!

Scott

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/14/08 8:25 p.m.

That's a nice ride & arguably the best bang for the buck in a turn-key new Mustang.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
7/14/08 8:40 p.m.

Congrats on that new beautiful Bullitt!

There's only a few people I've seen here in the NoVA area that have them, and the car almost catches me off-guard every time I see it. It's sooo understated, but still cool...and even better...it lacks those ridiculous fog lights Ford found necessary to add to the grille of the S197 Mustangs.

I'd love to pick up one in a few years, but mine will be equipped with the Ford Racing Handling Kit, and of course, those awesome 14" Brembos from the GT500!

To me, it's the ultimate cruiser/occasional track day car.

wyldpny
wyldpny New Reader
7/14/08 9:17 p.m.

Mmmmm...gotta love the Mustangs

Nice lookin' Bullitt you have there

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/14/08 9:21 p.m.

Awesome, love the Bullit Stangs.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/14/08 9:46 p.m.

sweeet man, i really like those. This coming from an F-body owner/enthusiasts, I would really like to own one of those. Hopefully they'll still be some around after I graduate and have a real job hahahahah yea right!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/14/08 10:16 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Isn't Highland Green and Bullitt redundant? Like Jumbo Shrimp? Government Intelligence?

Redundant - exceeding what is necessary or normal : superfluous

Jumbo Shrimp/Government Intelegence . . . Oxymoron- a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

Highland Green Bullitt is totaly redundant! BTW Nice Ride ... Make mine Green and with those wheels!

Jeff

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
7/14/08 10:33 p.m.

Straight baller man, sorry about that front plate though.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/14/08 10:38 p.m.

I am so jealous. I am the one that got to drive that car for a week in California and fell so in love with it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 10:41 p.m.

Don't drive it like it's namesake!

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
7/14/08 10:51 p.m.

>_>

Oh man!

I like!

I'm definitely jealous . . .good purchase!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/15/08 6:28 a.m.
minimac wrote:

Don't look at me, I'm not bitchin'...just stating a fact.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFBbT4RMKfDvO2rGb0j0iGrCeWwoeXDJ8ZbKhpwlGh8QGC43rR4b4GkI7jMjR5WH