1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/26/09 8:44 a.m.

I. am. so. motherberkeleying. pissed. right. now.

Happened in the wee hours of this morning. Pics speak for themselves:

Not how I wanted to get my GRM sticker posted here.

The glass company will be here sometime this afternoon; insurance is covering it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the spoiler/back-up light. The damage will probably be less than the deductible, so it's not worth it to file a claim IMHO. I'll probably start looking for a new trunk online, since I think this spoiler is glued on.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some metal really, really loud.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/26/09 8:54 a.m.

damn, that sucks, hope you catch the lil prick or pricks

Duke
Duke Dork
5/26/09 8:55 a.m.

Yeah, BTDT. I remember cleaning thousands of glass particles out of my old ACR, stuck all over the interior by frozen malt liquor, after somebody threw a 40 out of a moving car and through the back window one February night.

When I rule the world, vandalism will be a capital crime. I can forgive a desperate man for stealing. A vandal has nothing worthwhile to offer humanity whatsoever.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/09 9:00 a.m.

Holy cow man! I think it's time to move or something because that is insane.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/26/09 9:05 a.m.

I've lived here for the past 15 years and never has anything like this happened before.

And I hope, for MY sake, the cops find these mouth-breathing buttberkeleyers. FSM knows what I'd do if I get to them first...

TJ
TJ Reader
5/26/09 9:06 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some metal really, really loud.

That might piss of your neighbors and lead them to want to vandalize your car.

I can't see the pics, they are blocked here at work, but vandalism sucks.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
5/26/09 9:10 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: The glass company will be here sometime this afternoon; insurance is covering it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the spoiler/back-up light. I'll probably start looking for a new trunk online, since I think this spoiler is glued on.

If the car is fully insured I would suspect that all the damage is one claim and one deductable.
Front Window
Rear Window
Trunk spolier
Trunk spolier repaint

I bet you are looking at near $2k in repairs at full shop rates.
How high is your deductable?

How did the rock get onto the front seat? Is that the rock that came through the rear? If so, did the rock damage any interior panels as it bounced around the interior?

captain_napalm
captain_napalm New Reader
5/26/09 9:13 a.m.

Sorry to hear, man... BTDT

Drunken punk, caught him in the act, was about to beat the hell out of him when his brother talked me out of it.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/26/09 9:22 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
RexSeven wrote: The glass company will be here sometime this afternoon; insurance is covering it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the spoiler/back-up light. I'll probably start looking for a new trunk online, since I think this spoiler is glued on.
If the car is fully insured I would suspect that all the damage is one claim and one deductable. Front Window Rear Window Trunk spolier Trunk spolier repaint I bet you are looking at near $2k in repairs at full shop rates. How high is your deductable? How did the rock get onto the front seat? Is that the rock that came through the rear? If so, did the rock damage any interior panels as it bounced around the interior?

I think glass and body are separate on my insurance, but I guess I'll give them a call. My deductible is $500. I just don't want to file a claim in case the damage is below $500.

I'm assuming, given the damage, the idiots went bowling from their car with the rock. It looks like it impacted the spoiler first, smashed the rear windshield, bounced off the front windshield and the passenger-side dashboard, then settled in the driver's seat. I haven't opened the car yet, but there is a large white spot on the dash where the rock impacted it. It doesn't look like it did any damage. I'll go outside and have a look.

EDIT: The rock nicked up the passenger-side airbag cover a little. Other than that, no interior damage.

Jay
Jay Dork
5/26/09 12:03 p.m.

It's probably the same punks as last time. I suggest parking the car amid a field of well-concealed bear traps.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/26/09 12:12 p.m.

Put up a sign that says:

You could put an old car out there with some bullet holes in it already just for effect.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
5/26/09 12:18 p.m.

I was just as angry this weekend, as I discovered rabbits had eaten a few of my newly planted tomato plants...............and that the six year old that lives here stepped and smashed one and forgot to tell me.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/26/09 12:53 p.m.

Do you have dedicated spots? Is there a way to install a webcam overlooking the spot? A friend had 2 bicycles stolen in a matter of a few weeks and they were found not too far from their place mangled and what not... Intentionally left to be found. This persons significant other is in IT for the CIA...yes that CIA...and set up a webcam to snap a shot every .5 secs and dump em into a 100 gig external drive. Sure enough, 2 weeks later, webcam catches the tags on the truck they were driving when they tried to cut through the U-lock with a pair of bolt cutters, and snapped the cutters...slicing deep into the guys hand. He bled all over everything, but between the tags and the DNA, they guy got popped. Worth looking into...

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/26/09 4:34 p.m.

I filed a claim for the spoiler/brake light damage, but as I suspected it's separate from the glass claim. An adjuster will arrive tomorrow, but again I doubt the amount of work needed will exceed the $500 deductible. Even if it does, I still think I'm better off finding a decent used trunk. I've found a couple on car-part.com for around $150-200, but they're 2 hours away from me in CT, so getting one would be a challenge.

4cylndrfury, any idea where to get these cameras? I think my car was a target of opportunity, because other cars that were parked in the street were also vandalized both this time and last week (when my car was tagged). Driveway-parked cars seemed untouched. I haven't been parking my Subaru in my driveway recently because it's cramped (four running cars plus one non-running car). You can bet it's going into the driveway tonight.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/26/09 5:55 p.m.
Duke wrote: When I rule the world, vandalism will be a capital crime. I can forgive a desperate man for stealing. A vandal has nothing worthwhile to offer humanity whatsoever.

+1 right there!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
5/26/09 5:55 p.m.

Sorry to hear about it. I had two cars vandalized a few years ago, and SL2 and a Fairmont Futura. Some punks went at the windows with golf clubs, stolen in a spree that same night in a nearby neighborhood. Never did get caught.

Oddly enough, they only got the two cars in the driveway. My beater Corsica in the street was untouched.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/26/09 6:22 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I filed a claim for the spoiler/brake light damage, but as I suspected it's separate from the glass claim.

Must be a CT law? I've never heard of such a thing. A claim is "per occurrence"; matters not if glass is involved. Say you hit a deer...takes out the hood and the windshield. That's not two claims with two deductibles. I don't see how this is any different. I would really question this.

If the prices of the spoiler and 3rd light are anything like they were back when I added mine to our car, you'll easily clear that $500 deductible. The LED light is stupid expensive.

If you can't find a lid with a spoiler you may try area dealers that have one in stock they'd be eager to unload. They sold them as accessory kits back in the day and I can't believe there is much demand for L spoilers now.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/26/09 6:46 p.m.
ddavidv wrote:
RexSeven wrote: I filed a claim for the spoiler/brake light damage, but as I suspected it's separate from the glass claim.
Must be a CT law? I've never heard of such a thing. A claim is "per occurrence"; matters not if glass is involved. Say you hit a deer...takes out the hood and the windshield. That's not two claims with two deductibles. I don't see how this is any different. I would really question this. If the prices of the spoiler and 3rd light are anything like they were back when I added mine to our car, you'll easily clear that $500 deductible. The LED light is stupid expensive. If you can't find a lid with a spoiler you may try area dealers that have one in stock they'd be eager to unload. They sold them as accessory kits back in the day and I can't believe there is much demand for L spoilers now.

I'm in Mass. I was saying the trunklids I found were located in CT.

I don't know if it's a Mass. thing or just with my insurer, and I don't have my policy in front of me so my details may be off. IIRC, the way my policy is set up is that glass and basic/comprehensive are handled separatly. Glass claims are outsourced to an auto glass company. You have two options with claims: They will either do the work themselves and both the insurance company and the glass company will warranty it, or they will pay the auto glass co. of your choice and you go with whatever warranties the other company has/doesn't have. I've so far made three glass claims on the Subaru (two rock chip repairs and today's vandalism damage). I didn't have to pay a cent on any of those.

The spoiler damage is covered under comprehensive; it's a $500 deductible unless I up my monthly premiums. Tomorrow, the adjuster will drop by and I will be going to a bodyshop for a damage assessment.

Thanks for the tip on calling local dealers for spoilers; I'll look into it.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/26/09 7:14 p.m.

The only vadalism around me was mailboxes and throwing rocks at cars. Some punks were walking thru the subdivide and stealing or destroying those they could not steal. They never touched any of my stuff, including the mailbox. Perhaps they were convinced the guy with the camo painted mailbox would kill them? Or maybe they just didnt see it. Atb the new house if you can even see anything you are tresspassing. (redneck living in the woods)

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
5/27/09 1:12 a.m.

looks like it ripped the seat bolster, too...wink wink...

me and 3 friends caught a kid 'keying' cars in a wal-mart parking lot. we beat him to within inches of his life. then called the cops. when the officer arrived, he asked us what happened to him? our response? "he fell. twice i think...". he just laughed and arrested him... sometimes cops dont suck...

-J0N

ww
ww SuperDork
5/27/09 1:44 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
5/27/09 6:15 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: 4cylndrfury, any idea where to get these cameras?

It was just a USB webcam available at any electronics place. The hard part (and the part I dont know how to do) was setting it up to take still shots every half second as not to fill up the hard drive. Im sure some of the wizzkids on here can explain that part. Im not the most literate with setting up an operation like that, but to any semi-pro, I guess its kid stuff. GL

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
5/27/09 9:26 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: looks like it ripped the seat bolster, too...wink wink... me and 3 friends caught a kid 'keying' cars in a wal-mart parking lot. we beat him to within inches of his life. then called the cops. when the officer arrived, he asked us what happened to him? our response? "he fell. twice i think...". he just laughed and arrested him... sometimes cops dont suck... -J0N

Its refreshing to here a human interest "feel good" story now and then

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/27/09 3:46 p.m.

$305. For the wing alone. Below my deductible, as I thought. I'm going to start looking into how I can get one of those trunks from CT. I also discovered the passenger-side A-pillar plastic was damaged, after the adjuster left!

I'm about to give up on this car. I still haven't gotten the timing belt and water pump changed (both of which are way overdue), it failed inspection because the CEL is on, and now I have the spoiler to deal with. Is it worth it to dump $700-$1200 into a car that cost me $2500 at the start? Should I look into getting something newer? I was window-shopping wagons two months ago, now I'm seriously consdiering it again.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
5/27/09 4:18 p.m.

When I was still living at home, my dad was asking my sister and I about beer that was missing from a refrigerator that he kept in the garage. I didn't take it. As it turns out, my sister didn't take it either (although everyone suspected she did). I was surprised that he noticed a few beers going missing, but he doesn't drink that much and I guess you notice after time when things look out of place.

So, he bought a motion-activated camera with infared night vision. It activated a VCR when it detected motion and recorded everything.

One morning, I woke up to "I got them! Yeah! I got those jerks on camera!". We all went downstairs to find that these little berkeleyers came by one night and stole EVERYTHING from the refrigerator (a case of Corona, MGD, and some other beers). We went to the camera and saw the whole thing. I cannot believe that we didn't wake up. These little shiny happy people bumped into stuff, dropped the beer bottles noisely into MY LAUNDRY BASKET and took off making all the noise in the world.

It turns out, they were my sister's friends. They knew about the refrigerator and they liked to raid it from time to time for their own kicks. My dad invited their parents over to watch the video (with their kids of course). "Oh, we don't believe for a second that little Jimmy would do--Jimmy, is that you?"

They never did replace my laundry basket. But they did reimburse my parents.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
unnikyVq7hW5NGqEASJCgfMJZO9QcjvuW2rCvgW9mUpLKqq5t0mz2RONf0lwlOHZ