irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/21/18 7:29 p.m.

I spent the last week in Hanoi and northern Vietnam for work. It's an overall amazing place full of vibrance, history, and places to see, but I thought you guys would be interested in some of the Asia-market vehicles there. A few things of note:

1. The preferred mode of transport there is scooters - almost all Hondas - since parking in the city is tough for cars. Scooters are used for everything from hauling equipment (saw a guy carrying two jackhammers on one) to entire families (saw many with 2 parents and 2 kids on them). Motorcycles are there, but not all that common. Seems like only the "ballers" have them, especially crotch-rockets which would suck to maneuver in the city.

2. There are, however, plenty of cars and pickups/SUVs. Almost all of which are non-US models. The most common cars are small Kias, Corollas, and stuff like that. There are a bunch of neat trucks though. Curiously, almost none of the cars are older than about 10 years. No old junky stuff around - in fact the only 80s cars I saw at all were driven by government officials - things like Toyota Coronas and other 80s luxury cars.

3. Traffic is organized chaos. Stoplights are optional and it's law of gross tonnage to some degree. But everything on the road defers to each other coming from multiple directions, except buses. They won't stop since they have no room to maneuver. Interestingly, though, in a week there walking aroudn the city I saw exactly ZERO accidents or even any contact between vehicles. I see several every day here in DC where we actually "have laws."

4. Not surprisingly, almost everything is diesel, though seems like hybrids are getting popular as well.

Anyhow, here's some stuff: 

Land Cruiser Prado is pretty popular here, both the J120 and J150 chassis..basically just a Lexus GX460/470 here, but not as luxed-out.

The new Ford Rangers are everywhere, in many different variants (diesel, gas, different door and bed configurations, etc). Definitely the go-to pickup in the city.

Probably my favorite is the Ford Everest, which is a Aussie designed/built Ford a bit bigger than the old Explorer, with leaf-spring and solid-axle rear. They look nice and seemed like a popular design there. I think it's based on the Ranger, but not sure.

As noted, most of the compacts there are Corollas, but occasionally saw Honda City, which I think is smaller than a Civic

And yeah, there are high-end supercars here too. How you could drive a Lambo in this crowded city though...even have to park them on the sidewalk

Mitsubishi Pajero

The one and only VW I saw there in a week was a new Scirocco at my hotel

Toyota Hilux...not all that common but saw some around

There is an odd Mazda pickup called the BT-50 that aws pretty common...seems like it shares a platform with the Ranger and Everest

And this fugly Mitsubishi Triton, plenty of them around

Old Nissan Bluebird

IDk what this Toyota even was...

Another common sight was the Toyota Fortuner, which is another Aussie-designed one I think, based on the Hilux. I was digging these

Peugeot 508 - only a few Peugeots there

Nissan Navara Calibres were around, looks to be a rebadged Frontier 

The new Navara may be different though

I forget what this is called, but I think it's a rebadged Fit

This was some weird Chevy. Not much Chevy here, though I did see a number of Cruizes...

Nissan X-Trail (not an XTerra)

Other than Corollas, Kias were pretty popular

especially the "Morning" SI version

an old Russian motorcycle, one of the few vintage vehicles I saw..

Mercedes vans were used at our hotel..

Also saw a lot of the current-generation Suzuki Swift, which is pretty neat

Well, there were more, but that's what I grabbed off my camera. Hope you enjoyed :)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/21/18 8:02 p.m.

Fun stuff! Thanks for the run down.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/21/18 8:14 p.m.

My cousin and his wife just got back from Vietnam as well.  I had to check your profile location to make sure you weren’t him cheeky

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/18 8:54 p.m.

The Fit is badged as a Fit in Japan, China and the Americas. And badged as the Jazz in ROW.

simplecat
simplecat Reader
4/21/18 9:12 p.m.
MrChaos said:

The Fit is badged as a Fit in Japan, China and the Americas. And badged as the Jazz in ROW.

This, also the City has the same drivetrain as the Fit/Jazz, it's just a sedan body.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/21/18 9:17 p.m.
irish44j said:

Curiously, almost none of the cars are older than about 10 years.

I would imagine ten years ago there weren't very many people at all who had cars..

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/21/18 9:45 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

True, the economic revival has certainly brought the average citizen up the income chain, though talking to some of our people and locals there, even those who can easily afford cars don't usually buy them, unless they have a reason to go on trips to other cities (which most don't). Our driver said he could get across the city three times faster on his Honda scooter than he could in the Land Cruiser...and then the parking situation.....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/21/18 9:46 p.m.

In reply to simplecat :

I thought it looked better than either a Fit or a Civic. Shame it's not here in the US, if it's just a Fit sedan....

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/21/18 10:31 p.m.

I did something similar to this when I went to Mexico in November. I spent more time looking at the cars than I did anything else.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/21/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

Yeah, I didn't go that far....Hanoi is an amazing city full of amazing things and I took hundreds of shots of other stuff... But digital film is free, so had to take shots of the vehicles as well :)

Mexico probably has more interesting stuff than Vietnam though!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/21/18 10:59 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I was only there for part of a day (shore excursion on a cruise) but it was still very interesting.

It was neat seeing crew cab mini trucks and b13 sentras still in production.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/22/18 1:03 a.m.

Is the b13 the modern Beetle? The Tsuru is definitely dunzo though. Plus one on D.C. I cannot believe how many people treat a red light as either a four way or some kind of u-turn spot. smiley

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/18 6:38 a.m.

Wow, I never expected so many SUVs & Pickemups!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/22/18 7:06 a.m.

Interesting that the pickups all had some form of locking storage.  As popular as trucks are in the US, I don't think you could easily find a cap/cover similar to those shown.  

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
4/22/18 7:39 a.m.

Cool pictures! That was always one of my favorite parts of traveling. I'm a bit jealous of all the seemingly capable SUV options they have. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/22/18 11:39 a.m.

I love going overseas and doing some car watching...

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/22/18 1:43 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Defintely true. Just guessing, I'd say like 90% of the pickups there had a locking bed cover (hardly saw any full caps, except on the weird Mazda trucks). It looked like most of the bed covers are OEM, as they all seemed to be fully integrated and color-matched to the trucks. I'm guessing they come that way on any optioned-up pickups. I don't recall seeing any open to see if they're tilt-up or what.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
4/22/18 2:34 p.m.

those swifts are fun cars!

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
4/22/18 7:17 p.m.

That’s pretty cool. I was just in Vietnam for 3 weeks and got a lot of those same pictures. People think you’re a weirdo over there for getting pictures of 25 year old Nissans Haha

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/22/18 7:49 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

hah....one of those Rangers the owner was standing right behind me and he was like "hey.....you like me truck? I just got it!" and seemed super-excited that I was taking a photo of it.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
4/23/18 12:14 a.m.

I like that little Russian bike

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/23/18 10:16 a.m.

The reason you don't see a lot of old cars in a lot of vietnam is because usually if a person is wealthy enough to afford a car, they're wealthy enough to afford a car that is newer than 10 years old. 

Enyar
Enyar SuperDork
4/23/18 10:32 a.m.

What were your top 3 restaurants while you were there?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/23/18 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Enyar :

I honestly could not name them. We went all kinds of places. Obviously we hit a bunch of local restaurants, which were all very good. We did also hit the one brick-oven Pizzeria (called Pizza 4 P's), which was started by a Japanese guy and has a lot of good beers and VERY authentic italian pizza (I lived in Italy, so I can say so!), when we needed a "western fix" after 4 days of noodles, eggrolls, pho, and roasted sparrows (seriously, lol)....

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/23/18 9:20 p.m.

no dacia sanderos?!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vafdQFw561EoGl40vW8Q7EFc3pggpne8j2ZzgNxDaxPVl4mDxBcDNpZRcij4hgf9