Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/6/19 6:16 p.m.

So my 1990 Miata developed an issue at the last event, only when shifting in to third gear under HEAVY load (hill climb car) the trans is hard/unable to get into third gear. One time I had to finally settel for fifth. This doesn't happen in any other gear, just third.

Anyone know of a bandaid that could help for a bit? This is race car and I only have a few events before the end of the season. I was thinking of converting the car to a 1.8l over the winter, so I don't want to put any real money into this powertrain.

Thanks, Paul

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/19 7:10 p.m.

1. Don't force your shifts. Speed shifting into 3rd without letting the shifter self center and you'll end up in 5th. Use an open palm and push up and slightly right and the shifter should go to third with little effort. It takes practice. I had the same issue in a high mileage SM transmission a long time ago. Changing my technique helped a lot. 

2. I think this is the symptom of a worn shift fork and/or engine mounts too. If you tear into the trans, don't forget to change the shifter centering springs.  

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
8/6/19 7:36 p.m.

That is one of the common signs of worn motor mounts in miatas, have you inspected or replaced them recently? 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/6/19 7:45 p.m.

Slow NB, I had to replace the engine after the first event and did find a broken (left) engine mount, the right was fine and the car has a engine torque mount. I will take a look at the transmission mount tomorrow night.

Thanks, Paul B

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O34AHK3gctC04TpYNgQhogIup1tntpZMzVP96T7fburyllG3tdt7mEJmmWmPTSDd