1 2 3 4
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/27/18 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

If it helps figure out pricing, I just sold a 94 M Edition with 101 on the clock for $4100.

Notes: 

-I could have gotten more in the spring.  In April, I'd have asked $5500 and wouldn't have let it go for less than $5K, but it's Michigan, and there are currently a ton of them on Craigslist as people realize they have no storage. 

-I could have held out longer and maybe wrung a few hundred more out of my buyer, but I might have lost the sale as it was an "impulse buy" for him.

-Playing "driveway Tetris" with 5 cars sucks, and may have made me less hard-nosed as a negotiator. 

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
7/27/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Yeah...I saw your Miata.  I'm in the rustbelt too so nice cars are going to demand higher prices.  My plan was actually waiting later in the year to buy one and maybe getting one at a lower cost.  I have plenty o' storage space. 

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
7/27/18 2:41 p.m.

My last 3 miatas have been sub $1500 Canadian purchases.

Red 91- $1000 460,000 kms, miata rust, excellent mechanical condition and mint 7 spoke wheels and tires.

Orange 92- $500 130,000 kms, no papers or keys with lots of aftermarket parts.

White 91- $1200 230,000 kms, torn top, no carpet and shoddy wiring.

Deals are out there but you have to be the first person with cash and be willing to do some (alot) of refreshing.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/27/18 7:37 p.m.

In other words not for sale. Got it.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/18 7:53 p.m.

If my plans for getting an ND RF go into place I will try to sell my 95 M with 105k and Stock other than the radio and with a color matched hardtop w/defrost and headliner. I'm going to likely try and ask $8k since its a rust free car.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/18 9:36 p.m.

Returning to this thread to lament that I will in all likelihood never own a Miata since they are so dang expensive nowadays.  It would make more sense to buy a new ND than to buy an NA or NB at this point.  (I guess there was an NC somewhere in there, but why?)

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/27/18 9:38 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Lets see. Rebuilt title means totaled once which means not as valuable as a clean titled slightly rougher car and modifications don't really add any real value, especially performance mods that suggests possible hooning. At least in some markets and certainly not the cost of the mods. Good luck.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/18 9:43 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

There is a Miata near me that has C4 Corvette wheels on it and tires so stretched that the rubber actually misses the inside lip of the rim by a quarter inch, and is so low that it hangs up on inch-high obstructions in the road.    There are stickers on the fenders that seem to indicate that the owner of the thing is actually proud of this.

I would not pay money for a modified Miata unless there were SCCA (or maybe NHRA or IHRA) sanctioned event results that went along with it. 

Drift or hardpark "results" are cpnsidered a negative, and you'd have to pay me money to be burdened with the alleged Miata to liberate it from the FPO....

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/27/18 9:56 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
wlkelley3 said:

In other words not for sale. Got it.

Everything is for sale.  You just have to make an irresistible offer.  You won’t find a cleaner one for less if you try.

I feel the same about my NB but have no delusions that it is worth what it would take for me to part with it. To me it is a paid for known factor that I can't replace for what it is worth.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
7/27/18 10:39 p.m.

Mine is for sale... just sayin’. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
7/28/18 11:36 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I have photos documenting all damage and repair.  Insurance companies total cars out because it makes financial sense for them.  I won’t get into the fact that government requiring licenses, insurance etc. is unconstitutional.  This car should’ve never been totaled.  Damage photo.

Doesn't change the fact that it has a lower value with a branded title.  In some states you may also have difficulties with insurance.  It is what it is.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/28/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Nice driver NBs are available in the $3500 range, relatively easily.  DD#1 just bought one, and right about that same time there was at least one for sale here at that price.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/9/19 9:32 a.m.

Bizzzump...  I'm chatting with a dude about a 1990 car with flaking paint.. has 180K miles but was owned by one family since new.. looks like fairish shape.. asking $3500.. does that seem outragoeous..  Car should have little to no rust as was only a summer car since new. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/19 9:58 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Bizzzump...  I'm chatting with a dude about a 1990 car with flaking paint.. has 180K miles but was owned by one family since new.. looks like fairish shape.. asking $3500.. does that seem outragoeous..  Car should have little to no rust as was only a summer car since new. 

I sold my 95 M with hardtop and 106k miles to BoxheadTim for $5k and am going to look at a 97 that's rough cosmetically but has exhaust, intake, cams, and coilovers for $2200 next week.

On my local CL there are 2 NA's a 91 BRG car with 70k miles for $6500 and a 95 with a roll bar, wheels, gauges, and a custom wheel with 100k miles for $4900(but has been for sale for about 4 months)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Up north, in the spring, that’s probably about right for a rust-free NA not in need of any significant work(top/tires/timing kit/etc.). 

There are plenty of cheap ones down here on the coast, but the nice ones are about in that range too. 

Fueled by Caffeine
5/9/19 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I'd imagine this is a $2000-2500 car in a place down south.  Everything seems overpriced here, but I'll go have a look adn we shall see.  I think people think that their NA is their next great investment..

Fueled by Caffeine
5/9/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

thanks man.. This one is dead stock.. but not perfect.  I'd love to pickup a miata for $2500 or so, but everything in that price range around here has massive rust holes in them...

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/9/19 11:22 a.m.

Early 1.6 cars may have "short nose crank" issues, and paint is probably the most expensive thing to fix on a Miata, so factor that in.  With the age/mileage you're also going to have a good bit of 'baselining' to do, unless they've have records of replacements/maintenance:  hoses, belts, fluids, filters, shocks, radiator, etc.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/9/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

@180K miles.. I'd hope the short nose crank stuff is behind them.. sounds like they have some records.. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/9/19 11:48 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/19 12:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
5/9/19 12:38 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

an old amazon colleague of mine owns a small farm out in Sequim.. his wife produces yarn.. 

Fueled by Caffeine
5/9/19 12:38 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

got it.. interested..

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/19 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Sounds like you've got a place to park the car and someone to pick you up from the airport then laugh

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JovihisZuMmnco6gCVoQ5SUsInplmhl63lfMDyG9BpZBUvniVJdWZhrCQozPioO5