1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/16 1:23 p.m.

Once I sell my samurai, I will be looking for a miata with a budget of somewhere around $7500. I would like one with a hardtop and a lsd.

Is it worth is to look at an NB over an NA or even a MSM?

It will be used for weekend driving, the occasional nice day drive to work and maybe autox.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/16 1:35 p.m.

If I was to do it over again, I'd find a nice 1.8 NA(popup headlights), even with hardtop and lsd should be far enough under that budget to put on a better suspension and boost the brains out of it.

But that's just what I realize I should have done to this one instead of what I did.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/16 1:37 p.m.

$7500 is a bit low for an MSM in good condition -- $10K is a more realistic budget for that.

OTOH it will buy a regular NA or NB in decent shape just fine. The NB has better drivetrain parts (head, VVT, 6-speed, etc), if your long-term goal includes things like turbos and lots of power, you're probably better off buying the NB to start with. If you're going to leave the power mostly stock then it doesn't matter.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/24/16 1:44 p.m.

I'd skip the MSM myself.

I think my next one will be another NB, but only because I prefer the styling. If I find a decent NA first, the answer will be NA.

MrChaos
10/24/16 1:45 p.m.

would looking for an NA since it wont have to have emissions inspections be a good idea

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/24/16 1:46 p.m.

Do you care about how competitive it is in autox? Do you have a preference for one body style over the other?

No? then look for condition overall.
$6500 + $1000 for a hardtop should be able to put you into either an NA or an NB in good condition with decently low miles. You might be pushing it trying to get a MSM for that price.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/24/16 1:48 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: would looking for an NA since it wont have to have emissions inspections be a good idea

Depends. Do you plan on doing things that would cause your emissions inspectors to have issues with it?

MrChaos
10/24/16 1:52 p.m.

In reply to moxnix:

the msm was just included to be thorough

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/24/16 1:52 p.m.

I prefer the NB over the NA- so given that people will tell you the opposite- it's a very personal thing.

You need to drive both.

MrChaos
10/24/16 1:53 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
MrChaos wrote: would looking for an NA since it wont have to have emissions inspections be a good idea
Depends. Do you plan on doing things that would cause your emissions inspectors to have issues with it?

makes any fi or engine swaps a little easier

NickD
NickD Dork
10/24/16 1:57 p.m.

I'd recommend avoiding the 1.6L cars. And I own one. Less powerful, smaller brakes, less chassis bracing, wimpy rear diff with worse LSD. Yes, you can swap all that in, but why go through that trouble when you can start with a car factory-equipped and not have to spend money and time getting up to speed. But your $7500 budget should get you a pretty nice car. I got my '90 for $3900 and it had no rust (tough to find here in NY) and a reasonably straight body.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/24/16 1:59 p.m.

If you have the budget up front you'll be better off buying one that has a quality turbo kit already installed instead of doing it yourself.

NA8 over NA6 IMO. NB vs NA is just a matter of preference.

MrChaos
10/24/16 2:11 p.m.

with an nb is 5speed vs 6speed preference as well?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/24/16 2:15 p.m.

Get the nb. I can't speak first hand about driving either one. But I can attest to this: would you rather have 7hrs of wrench time and one hour of seat time, or 8 hrs of seat time? My time is limited. I want my car done, at this point in my life, I just wanna drive.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/24/16 2:22 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: with an nb is 5speed vs 6speed preference as well?

You need to drive them. I prefer the 5, but I know the 6 is more of a close ratio box, as the final ratio for top gear is virtually the same.

If you like to change gears a lot, and prefer the close set- the 6 is best. If not, I'd say the 5. I only figured it out when I drove both.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/24/16 2:25 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: with an nb is 5speed vs 6speed preference as well?

Again, if going boosted is in the cards then I'd say go with the 6 speed. Apparently it's a stronger box.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
10/24/16 2:28 p.m.

There's not a ton of mechanical differences between the 1.8 NA cars and the early NB cars. They are build on the same platform. '99 NB has a 7-ish more hp than a '96NA. NBs have a bit more rear suspension travel.

Drive 'em all then see which one grabs you! There's no wrong answer for the answer.

For me: NB is not as attractive as NA. So for me, NA all the way. Personally, I hate the 6 speed transmission. --Gates and gears are too closely spaced. I've driven them and I'm constantly missing shifts. I love the look of the early (1.6) interior, but I miss the extra torque of the 1.8. But these are my preferences. Go find out what your preferences are by driving 'em all.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/24/16 2:43 p.m.

I am selling a 2001 NB for $3900. That will leave a bunch of room for mods.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/24/16 2:48 p.m.

I'd look for a super clean 1.8 NA, do shocks, maybe springs, drive it while it appreciates.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/16 2:58 p.m.

'99-'00 seems to be the years to run in SCCA Spec Miata if that is in your future.

Personally, I think my 1.6L is a blast to drive on the track but I've never tried a 1.8L NA or NB.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/16 3:09 p.m.

Yeah, definitely check out both - I don't fit either car particularly well, but the NA feels more roomy to me than the NB. NB seats without a foamectomy feel like I'm sitting even higher than in an NA.

If I ever end up with another NA/NB, I'll be looking for a '95 M edition, but that's just me.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
10/24/16 4:28 p.m.

I prefer the 1.6s, because i like the interior, the exterior and the motor.

I am far from the norm though. Id rather have a 1.6 and swap the brakes and diff.

MrChaos
10/24/16 5:48 p.m.

So looking around NC1's fall into the budget range as well.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/24/16 6:20 p.m.

I could be talked out of my NB (99 5 speed with Torsen, 62k miles) for $1500 under your budget. It's 100% stock, I'm the 3rd owner

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
10/24/16 9:23 p.m.

not sure what msm stands for but if you spend $7,500 on an early miata I will have to unfriend you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJkX9h4q0tjA6nPCTOhohQL075Hpf9tJypq61KFlcT2oYiOeKeJWOS6aOoT9mfiA