Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/10 4:39 p.m.

After ruling out the WRX wagon (they are all riced or wrapped around trees), and then the 2.5TS (they are all wrecked or half-attempted WRX swaps), and then the non-Outback Legacy wagons (they are all autos or have blown motors) I perused the GRM forum...

What I found was nearly every "what car?" thread included the Mazda6 V6, including my last one. So I went looking and found THREE 5-speed manual Mazda6 wagons nearby for sale. Sweet!

I did manage a short test drive in an auto version and was very happy with the handling, room, and responsiveness. I think with the 5-speed this car will push all of my buttons.

So what say you? I have heard grumblings of engine problems, but I really know nothing about this car.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
10/4/10 4:41 p.m.

I like mine, but its a 4cylinder-auto-sedan. Was looking for a wagon when I bought, but couldn't find one in my price/condition range.

Only complaint I have with mine that might carry over is wind noise/buffeting is horrendous when the windows are down. I found a way to make it alright when there's only the driver in the car, but with passengers and at high speeds, plan on having the windows up.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/4/10 5:25 p.m.

I like the v6/5spd combo alright, and honestly i did not know you could get a v6/5spd wagon, cuz the 6 wagon is TEH SEX!!!!!!

Therefore.. DO EEEEEET.

I did a clutch on one once and i dont remember anything especially infuriating about it, so thats a good sign.

The engine is a duratec 3.0 similar to what youd find in an older taurus afaik.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/4/10 5:33 p.m.

One thing I noticed from rental car Mazda6's is that they were late to the game to offer iPod style jacks to the factory radio.
I also thought that the lower portion of the seat was a little short, but that is a preference thing.
That is about the extent of my complaints to a lot of miles logged in rental car Mazda6's.
PS: the wagons look vey nice. I really wish the Fusion (which shares the chassis) offered a wagon.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
10/4/10 6:37 p.m.

Nice car. Do it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
10/4/10 7:22 p.m.

There is what looks like a good looking black manual wagon in Bothell,WA that seem pretty cheap for the mileage on autotrader. Tr8Todd's wife has a late model 626 with a manual,and V6 which I think is a semi rare bird,and he loves the car. I can only assume the Mazda6 V6 manual is about the same for reliabilty,and I know he has had very little problems with the car.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/10 8:35 p.m.

i have the '03 sedan V6/MT/sport, and I heart it. if it was a wagon i'd heart it even more.

Javelin
10/4/10 9:57 p.m.

The black one in Bothell has an "engine tick", but it's on my radar.

The one I really wanted may have been sold, the owner will know tomorrow. I soooo hope it doesn't go through so I can buy it!

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/4/10 10:09 p.m.

Well what did you get?!?!?!?!?

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
10/5/10 3:09 a.m.

I was looking into these back before i graduated from college. Basically the factory clutch has a reputation of going at or every 25k, so youll want to factor that in if it hasn't been upgraded. When I was looking, it was at 06's that had been on the lot for over a year. Fully loaded with leather and Bose with the 5spd they were knocking them down from 30k sticker to 20k about ten seconds after I'd shown interest in the car

Dashpot
Dashpot New Reader
10/5/10 6:46 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: I was looking into these back before i graduated from college. Basically the factory clutch has a reputation of going at or every 25k, so youll want to factor that in if it hasn't been upgraded. When I was looking, it was at 06's that had been on the lot for over a year. Fully loaded with leather and Bose with the 5spd they were knocking them down from 30k sticker to 20k about ten seconds after I'd shown interest in the car

Brother just traded in his '04 V6 manual @ 135K-ish. No clutch problems ever, but it did spit out a spark plug (or 2) and some threads last year. Good car.

Javelin
10/5/10 6:10 p.m.

YES! The one I want is still available!

Test driving it tomorrow night when the owner gets it back from the shop. He brought it in for a PPI and it needed a switch replaced for the reverse lights and 1 window re-tinted, otherwise was perfect! The potential buyers low-balled him and he said pack sand.

The price is so good I wouldn't even haggle with him. It has 115K, he's the original owner, and it has the very cool sport package (different front/rear facias, grill, side skirts, spoiler, no roof rack, dual exhaust, electro-luminescent gauges, etc).

Any particulars to look for? He's the original owner and has every receipt...

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/6/10 12:30 p.m.

Did you get it did you get it?!?!?!?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
10/6/10 6:16 p.m.

He must be too busy driving it to update the thread

chaparral
chaparral Reader
10/6/10 7:32 p.m.

I think Mazda nailed it with these cars. Great steering feel, good front grip, really responsive.

Javelin
10/6/10 7:32 p.m.

I didn't even look at it Wifey declared no leather, period. Couldn't even talk her into a seat swap. I'm gonna regret not picking this up.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
10/6/10 7:52 p.m.

Could you look at it for me? I don't like leather either,but I could be swayed if the rest of the car is as solid as it sounds.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/6/10 8:01 p.m.

Wow - sorry man. My wife loves leather. No, wait, not that kind of leather.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/6/10 8:03 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Wow - sorry man. My wife loves leather. No, wait, not that kind of leather.

He's ok.. I guess.

Dav
Dav New Reader
10/6/10 8:16 p.m.

My wife and I bought a brand new one in 2004--V6/5spd, Squall Blue Pearl.

We sprinkled it with some Mazdaspeed goodies and really loved the car. It sounded great, handled well, yet still had a good ride. The seats were really comfortable and it was the "right" size for my family, I don't recall doing anything to the car other than brakes.

We would likely still have it were it not for getting in an accident and the car being totalled.

My wife now has a G8 GT--the affordable manual transmission/wagon market has pretty much dried up. One of our replacement criteria was a manual, but when you have ~400 torques in front of a slushbox, it is tolerable... .

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/6/10 8:27 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I didn't even look at it Wifey declared no leather, period. Couldn't even talk her into a seat swap. I'm gonna regret not picking this up.

No kids? You'll be hell bent for leather (u c wut eye did thur?) while you're busy trying to get your kid's puke stain out of the upholstery....

Javelin
10/6/10 8:44 p.m.

She's a hippie Vegan. It's a trade-off. I do still have the Miata, Javelin, Go-Kart, etc, etc...

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/10 8:52 p.m.

We picked up a '06 GT wagon 5 speed 3 weeks ago with 90K kilomters (45k miles)...loaded with leather and 18 wheels., after looking for several months. We thoroughly enjoy this car...fits our family needs much better than our Mazda 3 did. Sorry to hear the leather is not acceptable...but the right one will turn up....

Dav
Dav New Reader
10/6/10 9:00 p.m.

All this talk of leather reminded me--ours had cloth.

The material got "mousy" really quickly and the grey is too light if you are worried about spills.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
11/23/10 2:46 p.m.

Bumping this up, to ask a mazda6 related question.

Has anyone heard about issues with pre-cats crumbling and taking out the engine? A friend of mine recently had this happen to him in his v6 car and I found one with a bad engine today. Common issue, easy fix?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wOQoEruO1lwIfvg03FPcDZLzYn1PD774sEcllhR4ok3wFGqbCYL3W9S7juHwncFM