Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/14/18 12:16 p.m.

DD#1 is looking at a relatively stock '00 Miata with 130,000 miles.  It's been well cared for by at least the previous 2 owners, including a clutch replacement by the PO and a slave cylinder by the CO.  As far as I know it was a stock clutch, but I can confirm.  I trust the CO (a friend) and the PO (a known car guy acquaintance who kept good records).

The pedal feels fine, the car shifts fine, it makes no noise, it doesn't seem to slip at all, and it will do a burnout against a 4.3 Torsen on street tires...

...but the initial takeup point is pretty far up in the travel.  Like, annoyingly so.  The Manic Miata does not have a stock clutch, but both it and my E46 had much more linear clutch action.  DD#1 is not an experienced manual driver, and this car doesn't make it easy to modulate the clutch because the important engagement part is such a small portion of the total throw.

I'm sure she / I will get used to it, but is there any adjustment for this?  Is it a symptom of anything?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/18 12:24 p.m.

It's a symptom of a tired clutch, usually. But there is some adjustment available. Look at the instructions for FM clutches.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/14/18 12:28 p.m.

Like Keith said, it's likely getting near the end of it's life.  Fortunately it's about the easiest vehicle to replace a clutch on and costs next to nothing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/14/18 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Normally that's what I would think also, but it should have well under 50k on it, and both PO and CO are autocrossers with good mechanical sympathy.  I would be surprised if it's been used up that quickly.

But thank you very much for the pointer on adjustability.  I will look into that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Kmbk5Xa7ZneUF05rDJWywauwHxG9O5iqiOWHnBJXBnRmjKKENnzgMtnhDw3PgnC