mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
June 29, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Helping a friend do his TB/WP on his '99 and there seems to have been a gasket between the block and neck. The Flyin' Miata kit only has an o-ring for this location. Since they are closed now, can anyone confirm if there should only be an o-ring at this location, or should there also be a gasket? Also, we have two thermostat gaskets, do I need to use both?

DeadSkunk SuperDork
June 29, 2013 7:34 p.m.

I just looked at my factory manual for an NA Miata. It shows one gasket for the thermostat and only an O-ring for the neck to block seal. I believe (not 100% sure) that all the ancillaries for a 1.6 NA are the same as NA and NB 1.8s.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
June 29, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Okay, that backs up my research, that is limited mainly to my '97 FSM and a '96 FSM on CD. That part of the engine seems unchanged, and though a few ancillary parts will need a tap run through, and new bolts purchased (DPO substituted a few that were overly long, which did damage upon removal), I'd like to get things as buttoned as possible tomorrow morning.

flexi New Reader
June 30, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Perhaps the gasket was in place to make up for a slightly too thick o-ring.

If the o-ring is too large in cross-section, and one tightens the bolts so that the casting is flush with the block, there is too much pressure on the mounting ears of the casting. In that case, the mounting ears break off. Ask me how I know . So check that new o-ring!

For a NA 1.8 (1994) only an o-ring between neck and the block.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

6 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

15 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

19 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

19 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
2RYjB5GKLA50ekQz0JD8L8YX85gntQj0