bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 7:49 a.m.

Look in the upper part of this picture under the tube. It looks like a plug at the back of the left side cam maybe? I don't know much about these engines yet, but this thing is leaking bad.

chiodos HalfDork
11/30/15 8:22 a.m.

Hard to tell how far up it goes but perhaps the valve cover gasket. I'm not accustomed to the 1.8 motors but I know there's a cam sensor back there too idk if it's passenger side rear or driver side but that could be another culprit.

EvanB UltimaDork
11/30/15 8:29 a.m.

On the NB there should be a plug where the cam sensor used to go on the back of the exhaust cam.

RedGT Reader
11/30/15 8:43 a.m.
EvanB wrote: On the NB there should be a plug where the cam sensor used to go on the back of the exhaust cam.

And on the cars with CAS's there it is a super common leak point. (I know you know this, just pointing it out for him)

bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 8:56 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

I think that is what is leaking. The valve cover goes around the top of this plug and is not leaking. The plug itself seems to be leaking. Is there a seal that goes in it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/30/15 10:08 a.m.

IIRC it's basically just a freeze plug. I would say this is a case for RTV.

bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order anything before taking it apart.

bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 11:29 a.m.

The leak appears to be coming from the round plug in the upper left or the pipe plug under it as shown in this picture.

calteg HalfDork
11/30/15 12:23 p.m.

Pop the valve cover, push that plug out and RTV it. Do the valve cover gasket while you're at it.

Our Preferred Partners