bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 7:49 a.m.

Look in the upper part of this picture under the tube. It looks like a plug at the back of the left side cam maybe? I don't know much about these engines yet, but this thing is leaking bad.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
11/30/15 8:22 a.m.

Hard to tell how far up it goes but perhaps the valve cover gasket. I'm not accustomed to the 1.8 motors but I know there's a cam sensor back there too idk if it's passenger side rear or driver side but that could be another culprit.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/30/15 8:29 a.m.

On the NB there should be a plug where the cam sensor used to go on the back of the exhaust cam.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
11/30/15 8:43 a.m.
EvanB wrote: On the NB there should be a plug where the cam sensor used to go on the back of the exhaust cam.

And on the cars with CAS's there it is a super common leak point. (I know you know this, just pointing it out for him)

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 8:56 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

I think that is what is leaking. The valve cover goes around the top of this plug and is not leaking. The plug itself seems to be leaking. Is there a seal that goes in it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/15 10:08 a.m.

IIRC it's basically just a freeze plug. I would say this is a case for RTV.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order anything before taking it apart.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/30/15 11:29 a.m.

The leak appears to be coming from the round plug in the upper left or the pipe plug under it as shown in this picture.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/30/15 12:23 p.m.

Pop the valve cover, push that plug out and RTV it. Do the valve cover gasket while you're at it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oAoqdizL0GMzhc4vIp8u8rZDDMdkVdoNg8LQjgFy7SI7ZY6MdfT9bEPiZPHCrFOy