1 2
racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/17/14 1:56 p.m.

Let's say I was looking at NC Miatas, when did they change over from sucky to not so much suspension-wise? I'd like to have a Club version, but some of the others are priced pretty well these days.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/14 2:05 p.m.

I believe Keith said 2013. I've only driven a 2008, 2013, and 2014. 2008 made me sea-sick.

Though... any of them will handle quite well with a call to FM.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
10/17/14 2:14 p.m.

Who keeps the stock suspension on a Miata?

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
10/17/14 2:19 p.m.

I thought with the facelift around 2010 they changed them? I started working at a Mazda dealer around the time the 2011 model year happened and I never noticed a difference in any years newer.

If I remember correctly the club edition was nothing special beyond the color package.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 2:47 p.m.

There was a change in 2009 (along with the big smiley happy face) but they got it right in 2013 or so. Ouchx100, you should have noticed a change in the grille at that time when the smile got toned down.

Club Edition is nothing special other than a nice collection of options and the good suspension. So it's a good package, if not ground-breaking.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/17/14 3:11 p.m.

I have an 08. It puts a grin on my face. It has also created converts at autocrosses despite all stock suspension.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/17/14 3:12 p.m.

I knew about the 09+ suspension upgrades, but what happened in 13?

Keith Tanner
10/17/14 3:13 p.m.

They got the calibration right and the damping stopped sucking.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/17/14 3:19 p.m.

I'd go 09+ just for the raised redline and forged crank (only with manual I believe).

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
10/20/14 1:33 p.m.

Hmm. I'm looking at a couple '07s, 'cause the price is right. Manual, limited slip cars. Why should I cross them off my list?

This one is my favorite, though it's a bit high.

http://autohaus-lancaster.ebizautos.com/detail-2007-mazda-mx~5_miata-2dr_convertible_manual_grand_touring-used-12785258.html

Would make a great DD and fun weekend cruiser.

This one's cheaper but it's not got as many options (like heated seats):

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=379906803&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/20/14 1:38 p.m.

I got my 08 GT with 13k miles for $13,7.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/20/14 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Don't. Just update the suspension to 09+ parts and you'll be happier.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/20/14 2:05 p.m.

So, would an early car with something KONIs work OK. The plan is to go back autocrossing and to probably run in Street for the first year. Early cars are now dirt cheap!

Keith Tanner
10/20/14 2:44 p.m.

Update the suspension to an FM Stage 2 and you can run any year you want It's true, the 09+ manual cars got forged internals. But really, the weakest point of the earliest cars was the suspension calibration. If you do one thing to a 2006-12, it should be shocks.

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/20/14 3:04 p.m.

I have a set of JIC Magic coilovers from FM I'm looking to get rid of pretty cheap

Username at yahoo

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/20/14 3:30 p.m.

If nobody else is interested in those I know I am.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/20/14 3:36 p.m.

No to hijack my own thread. But I had also thought about a NB in E Street and then move up a class later. I've had a couple of NBs though and never a NC. Thoughts about comparing the two? Which would you rather have?

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/20/14 6:44 p.m.

I've owned a lot of NA's and NB's, and I'm on my second NC. My personal preference is for the NC. Better suspension platform, and easier of get more rubber under stock fenders. My NC will out handle my NB all day long and the NB has alot more done to it

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/20/14 8:15 p.m.

And I thought all NCs were the same. I've never been interested in them much, so didn't realize they have different grilles. Never driven, or even ridden, in one so the suspension doesn't bother me. I've always been put off by the styling of the NC. Never liked the looks of them.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/20/14 8:35 p.m.

My order of preference is NA(1.6), NA(1.8), NC(any), something else, NB(MSM), maybe something else again, NB(any). NBs just never did it for me. I'm currently babysitting my Dad's '01 LS with the 6 speed and its just not pushing my buttons like my several 1.6 NAs or my NC did.

Keith Tanner
10/20/14 9:28 p.m.

NAs feel faster than they are. So do NBs. NCs are faster than they feel. Makes them worse as toys, but more effective in competition. I'm always amazed at the capability of our V8 NC, but I've never been very tempted to drive an NC as a daily.

T.J., have a look at the 2013/14 cars. The Club is a decent looking car. Like the NB, Mazda did their best work at the end of the run.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/20/14 10:02 p.m.

I've never gotten over the fugly fender bulge thingys that seem to plague all NCs. It's like they took the worst part of the RX-8 styling and added to a miata. I'm sure they are fine cars and in some ways better than the earlier ones, I should've typed more carefully as I don't really have anything against them, I just have never really paid much attention to them. I tend to only pay close attention to new cars when I am looking to buy one. Other than that, I try to stay away from dealers, test drives, even reading comparison tests. I'll watch some regular car reviews on you tube sometimes, but that's about it. Otherwise, I'd want a new car every few months.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/21/14 12:14 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Who keeps the stock suspension on a Miata?

People that buy one with an auto trans.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
10/21/14 12:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: NAs feel faster than they are. So do NBs. NCs are faster than they feel. Makes them worse as toys, but more effective in competition. I'm always amazed at the capability of our V8 NC, but I've never been very tempted to drive an NC as a daily.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking at them in comparison to my '06 Mustang GT convertible, the '02-05 Jag XKR, and the '02-05 BMW 330Ci convertible as DDs and weekend cruiser/toys. The Miata, while smaller, seems like it would be more fun to DD as well as be autocrossable when I wanted much easier than those other convertibles, while still being comfy enough to go touring with on sunny days. I also threw in the '12-up MINI Cooper S Roadster (the 2 seater) as a wild card 'casue I like my MINIs, but they are pricier by far (don't really want to spend $20k on one).

For a number of reasons, I don't want an NA or NB Miata, but the NC is growing on me as a more mature car. The '09s and up are still a bit too pricy with reasonable mileage on them, which is why I was wondering what was really bad about the '06-08s that are in my price range. Will I really notice the lack of forged internals? I have no problem changing out shocks for something a bit better if that's the primary difference in suspensions.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 12:57 p.m.

You won't. You can buy mine before I trade it in.

'06 Grand Touring, 47k miles, red, black leather 6-spd, BOSE. $10,000

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UIUoFTcy3uRVOfzYpMm8v09Yg68KiOMXMCmM0csFjj8uIokfCXieWd6du6dNg9s1