1 2
Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
10/21/14 1:32 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

heated seats? Bright red or that pretty burgundy I posted? Price is right but I won't have another bright red sports car, lol!

But I'm really drooling over this one's combination:

Just too much money.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 1:36 p.m.

That copper red with tan interior is a popular combo. I swear it makes up about 1/3 of NC sales.

Chris_V wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: NAs feel faster than they are. So do NBs. NCs are faster than they feel. Makes them worse as toys, but more effective in competition. I'm always amazed at the capability of our V8 NC, but I've never been very tempted to drive an NC as a daily.
Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking at them in comparison to my '06 Mustang GT convertible, the '02-05 Jag XKR, and the '02-05 BMW 330Ci convertible as DDs and weekend cruiser/toys. The Miata, while smaller, seems like it would be more fun to DD as well as be autocrossable when I wanted much easier than those other convertibles, while still being comfy enough to go touring with on sunny days. I also threw in the '12-up MINI Cooper S Roadster (the 2 seater) as a wild card 'casue I like my MINIs, but they are pricier by far (don't really want to spend $20k on one). For a number of reasons, I don't want an NA or NB Miata, but the NC is growing on me as a more mature car. The '09s and up are still a bit too pricy with reasonable mileage on them, which is why I was wondering what was really bad about the '06-08s that are in my price range. Will I really notice the lack of forged internals? I have no problem changing out shocks for something a bit better if that's the primary difference in suspensions.

You can fix the worst of the 06-08 ills with a set of springs and shocks. You can even retrofit the 2009-12 nose and headlights without too much trouble.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 1:38 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: In reply to z31maniac: heated seats? Bright red or that pretty burgundy I posted? Price is right but I won't have another bright red sports car, lol! But I'm really drooling over this one's combination: Just too much money.

Bright red. From what I understand heated seats weren't an option until '07.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/21/14 1:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: NAs feel faster than they are. So do NBs. NCs are faster than they feel. Makes them worse as toys, but more effective in competition. I'm always amazed at the capability of our V8 NC, but I've never been very tempted to drive an NC as a daily.

Keith,
Interesting. I very much agree the NA feels faster than it is and the NC is faster than it feels. But why wouldn't you be tempted to have an NC as a DD...even a later run model?

Chris,
I would say it's all in how you plan to use the car. I had an '06 GT and loved it overall. Yes I noticed it felt more "flabby" than my NAs, and the seats sucked lollipops. But I never autox'd it or took it on track. I used it on sunny days where I drove through empty country roads, some of which had serious turns and elevation changes. The NA definitely gave more feedback and was more involving to drive. It made me smile even at 25mph. The NC had a much different feel. It was still quick and nimble, but definitely more "GT" like. It was quieter, more relaxed, and a bit more isolated.

For those twisty back country PA roads I used to drive, I had more driving fun with the NA. Now, I have a 50 mile each way commute that's mostly highway. I'd be happy with either car still, but if the budget is there, I'd chose NC.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
10/21/14 1:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That copper red with tan interior is a popular combo. I swear it makes up about 1/3 of NC sales.

Weird. I've only found 2 of them for sale within 200 miles of me. Most are bright red, black or silver.

Did see one really nice dark green one and one really dark blue.

Keith Tanner wrote: You can fix the worst of the 06-08 ills with a set of springs and shocks. You can even retrofit the 2009-12 nose and headlights without too much trouble.

Can I update with newer stock springs that allow me to run in the street class? Want the suspension to work good if I do this without going onto an ST class.

Not sure if I want the newer grille or headlights, though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 2:39 p.m.

I won't comment on what's legal for various classes. Trying to keep up with the SCCA would be a full time job. If you have to keep the stock springs, the most important thing is a set of shocks and I think they're legal in all classes.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/14 2:48 p.m.

Saw a pearl white one with burgundy interior recently. Thought it was a very good look, IMO.

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/21/14 3:58 p.m.

It's my DD and occasional autocross car. I always try to take back roads as it's its a blast to throw around. The lateral grip is phenomenal. I'll be selling my LS swapped NB after the first of the year to swap in a LS in this one. I'll be at the challenge on Friday if ya wanna go for a ride

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HssadyzyQUhmBNgUZ99jFQrSf06H6ORysurahZPzOL9GmucRjEh24rVX627ukKsN