CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/29/16 6:39 a.m.

I need an opinion from the people

Been eyeing the NC Miata for a daily driver to replace the Saturn. Had a few questions for those of you who own them. This will be a daily driver that might see an occasional autoX...but that would be rare. I drive quite a bit and i drive for fun on the back roads a ton. So this is not a race only car for me, its mostly street stuff.

I see a lot of "Sport" trim levels out there with 5 speeds and no limited slip diff. They go for cheaper generally. Now, the base Miata has all the bells and whistles that i need the only thing "missing" is a limited slip diff. Well and it has the 5 speed vs 6 speed.

The suspension will be upgraded so Bilsteins dont matter to me.

So it basically comes down to the differential being the one option that could change the trim level/ package car i buy.

Do i hold out for a limited slip diff car?

Is there a advantage to 5 speed over 6 speed or the other way around?

If i buy an open diff car now and decided i want to upgrade the diff later on, which transmission would be easiest to start with?

Lastly, and a bit off the topic of the first series of questions: For a daily driver that is not a "racecar" I think the power folding hardtop might be a nice to to try to find. Not a deal breaker but if i find one it would make the car more livable for the ugly not sunny fun days. Correct in this thinking?

Thanks to all.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/16 9:27 a.m.

PRHT cars don't play well with roll bars unless you go for the Transformer setup from FM. So if that's a factor, it should be a big one.

I'd hold out for an LSD. The choice of trans should not affect later LSD retrofits if you decide to go the difficult route.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
3/29/16 9:55 a.m.

I agree with Keith that you want an LSD. And if you ever think you're going to use it for the track, and would need a rollbar, get the soft top.

That said, the PRHT is awesome for a DD. We have a '13 Club PRHT that is my wife's DD, and it is just far superior to a soft top when you want the top up. Better security, quieter, etc.

Ours is a 6sp, and I haven't driven a 5sp NC, so I can't comment directly, but it is a little busier than my 5sp NA. The stock Bilsteins are crap anyway, so you're going to want to replace them. A little suspension work really brings the NC to life.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
3/29/16 10:26 a.m.

I was going to say that you would be ok without a LSD since you're mostly going to use it for street use, but since you drive on back roads heavily, you should definitely hold out for a LSD.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/29/16 12:01 p.m.

I DD a '15 soft top GT w/suspension package. I prefer how it looks over the PRHT, and while the PRHT is among the fastest retractable top in the business, the soft top takes about 1 second to raise and lower, easily done at any stoplight. I don't think I would put the top down nearly as often with the PRHT.

Are the early Clubs in your price range? The look the best with the PRHT, by far, and are guaranteed to have an LSD if equipped with a manual.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/29/16 5:11 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys.

Does anyone that posted an answer wish to get rid of their Miata? haha

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/29/16 5:26 p.m.

Is the 5/6 speed similar to earlier ones where the 6 is much closer ratios and doesn't help mileage and is also worse for autocross?

Also why aren't there more turbo Kits for the nc?

Keith Tanner
3/29/16 5:33 p.m.

Ratios can be found here: https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

You need to remove a cat to install a turbo on the NC, plus there's some questionable packaging around the ABS system. Personally, I think the engine's feel is better suited to a SC.

CarKid, I've got a Miata I want to get rid of. However, it's 16 years older than what you're looking for...

johnnie
johnnie New Reader
3/29/16 6:31 p.m.

The six-speed is busier for autocross, and often forces a third-gear upshift on long sections. I have an '06 with the 6 speed.

Pretty sure the LSD was only packaged with 6M cars.

2007 SV 5 speed models can legally swap the OEM limited-slip in SCCA Solo II stock class along with some suspension bits as part of the "MS-R" trunk kit available to SCCA members through Mazdaspeed Motorsports. (Starting to sound a little commercial here, no affiliation with them except purchasing parts-- just passing along info.)

Package contents: • Limited slip differential • Shock Tower Brace • Chassis bracing (under brace) • 17” alloy wheels and 205/45 R17 tires • Koni shocks • Sway bars (larger diameter) • Springs (higher rate and lower ride height) • Rear lip spoiler

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
3/29/16 10:39 p.m.

In reply to johnnie: Those are some nice mods for a "stock" NC Miata.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/16 6:17 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Do you have a price, or ad posted somewhere?

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/30/16 6:45 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Do you have a price, or ad posted somewhere?

Right! What a tease!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/30/16 8:14 a.m.

I've been DD'ing my 08 GT for going on 2 years now. I like it, but it definitely needs an LSD.

Real front sway bar helped things a lot and better shocks are in the works.

Keith Tanner
3/30/16 4:19 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote:
petegossett wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Do you have a price, or ad posted somewhere?
Right! What a tease!

Not posted yet, but it's a good NA that costs more than $500, so not really something for the GRM forum.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/16 4:35 p.m.

This means Keith is buying an ND.

Keith Tanner
3/30/16 5:16 p.m.

Giving it serious consideration, but also realizing that I just have too many cars. Time for a bit of fleet trimming.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/31/16 6:35 a.m.

Thanks for the input. 6 speed and LSD it is.

If I can find a folding hardtop ill go for that too.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/31/16 9:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Egghead Racer wrote:
Right! What a tease!
Not posted yet, but it's a good NA that costs more than $500, so not really something for the GRM forum.

Fair enough, but I'd still be curious on the price & someplace I could read up about the car.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
3/31/16 9:07 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Thanks for the input. 6 speed and LSD it is. If I can find a folding hardtop ill go for that too.

Was searching for this exact combo last fall (sub $10k Purchase Price) and found ONE (1) in a 500mi radius of my house, and it was really high mileage.

It's MUCH easier to find a LSD equipped soft top car.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
3/31/16 10:53 a.m.

I don't think you're going to find too many PRHT NCs under $10k at this point...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/4/16 6:30 a.m.

Another question:

Do the NCs age as well as the earlier Miatas? Example: people are here dont even flinch and buy NA?NB Miatas with 120, 130, 140,000 miles on them.

Do the NC ones age as well? I am looking at the lowest mileage ones i can find to start but i was curious

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ba1IYHtHAsGdIntAlcCVHWoF0XySecWxACmc5qMnsw7W4il1N4n5NW6bMcycaCfl