1 2 3
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/8/11 9:56 p.m.

Ford will introduce a DI, turbo, 1.4ltr 3cyl soon.

Maybe there's still come collaboration between the companies?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/8/11 10:05 p.m.

Not likely, what with Mazda pulling production of the Mazda6 out of the plant they share with Ford and the Mustang.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
6/9/11 7:12 a.m.

I'm also in the camp of I'll believe it when I see it. But if I do see it, anyone want a really clean NC Miata???? I'll make you a hell of a deal.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/11 7:23 a.m.

I wonder if this might hint at a low-volume 'spec' model, kinda like the ACRs from Chrysler. Spec cars would be seriously de-contented for weight savings, while regular production cars weigh 400-ish lbs more.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/11 7:57 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to nocones: Hatchbacks are usually lighter than verts.

most verts aren't Miata. I was thinking exactly what nocones was. clearly the only thing to do is when GRM or anyone gets their hands on a M2 press car, remove side/rear glass and sawzall the roof/b/c pillars, then weight it. i figure the rear seat vs. basic convertible top is close enough to a wash.

calteg
calteg New Reader
6/9/11 8:16 a.m.
alex wrote: I'll be the one to rain on the parade: ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. And I'll be happy to eat crow on this one.

Real talk. Sounds suspiciously like the 370z. Nissan: It's going to be 400 lbs lighter than the 350z! Launch day: Weighs 50lbs more than the 350z, despite being physically smaller

I would point the finger at Inside Line, rather than mazda

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/9/11 8:31 a.m.
paul wrote: I'll opt out of a 1.4t and go with the MS3 engine please!...

I was juuuust thinking that if I rolled my ms3.... i'd need a home for my DISI.....

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
6/9/11 8:46 a.m.

I'd love to see what our DISI engines would do with a proper high pressure fuel pump and slightly bigger turbo.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
6/9/11 8:48 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I will believe that when my E36 M3 turns purple

I think you mean "techno violet"

McTinkerson
McTinkerson None
6/9/11 9:16 a.m.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the new "lightweight" target for the miata may be Mazda attempting a run at spreading out the development costs of a potential new RX-7. Didn't Mazda say they wanted to go back to the SA22/FB roots? No frills/light weight?

rotard
rotard Reader
6/9/11 10:10 a.m.

I wish, but this will never happen, for the Miata or RX-7.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
6/9/11 11:55 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: The ONLY way to do that is make it WAAAAAY smaller. Even then I am not sure it is possible. Has Mazda ever released a sub 2k car? I think the GLC was over 2k. How about the early early cars?

They have.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/9/11 12:00 p.m.
Jay wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: The ONLY way to do that is make it WAAAAAY smaller. Even then I am not sure it is possible. Has Mazda ever released a sub 2k car? I think the GLC was over 2k. How about the early early cars?
They have.

Lol-completely forgot about Kei cars.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
6/11/11 5:05 a.m.
bluej wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to nocones: Hatchbacks are usually lighter than verts.
most verts aren't Miata. I was thinking exactly what nocones was. clearly the only thing to do is when GRM or anyone gets their hands on a M2 press car, remove side/rear glass and sawzall the roof/b/c pillars, then weight it. i figure the rear seat vs. basic convertible top is close enough to a wash.

Aye, most verts are designed to have a roof, then get beheaded, and have more weight thrown back into them to regain a semblance of structural integrity.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
6/11/11 8:59 a.m.

True about the hatchbacks - the EF CRX weighed in under 2000, while the 90 Miata was 2100 and it's slowly crept up from there.

Still, I've had a 90 Miata (and a 91, and a 93), and I know how sparsely equipped those cars were. Me, I don't mind - I prefer a more basic car - but the average buyer these days, even for a Miata/MX-5, expects the design to have made 20+ years progress in the comfort department, if not performance. Heck, I've even considered upgrading to an NB for that reason. Plus all the safety standards that exist now that didn't exist then, which add to the weight. I think the only way they could get the ND down to even 2000lbs would be to use special materials that would jack up the price so high that few would even buy it.

Still, it's nice to see that they do realize that adding lightness is a huge benefit both to performance and fuel economy, and are willing to consider it instead of turning the MX-5 into an overbloated boat, the way some other hot sports cars have gone in the past.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9O4deRl9AY2lJHmkH890ZbLD1Fsmkj4Wcf2Rld4FhVyMplllTp30p0HTndPyfvKz