Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/21/17 6:36 a.m.
feature_image

Wondering when somebody will finally offer a turbo kit for the ND Mazda MX-5? Wonder no more, because that time is now. Flyin' Miata is now selling BBR Stage 1 turbo kits for the latest Miata, with claimed power increases of 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs. from a kit that would look factory to the untrained eye.

Per Flyin' Miata's …

Read the rest of the story

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
4/21/17 6:55 a.m.

Funny you brought this up. I saw one being delivered yesterday.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/21/17 7:23 a.m.

With the reported issues with the ND transmissions, isn't this just adding fuel to the fire?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/21/17 7:58 a.m.

What is "jet turbine specification fixings?"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/17 8:38 a.m.
scardeal wrote: With the reported issues with the ND transmissions, isn't this just adding fuel to the fire?

The transmission was upgraded in late 2016. If you have an early one, you have 3 years/36000 miles to break it.

I believe BBR is sourcing aerospace spec hardware.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/21/17 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I must have missed that they upgraded the transmissions.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/17 12:26 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: What is "jet turbine specification fixings?"

Inconel bolts?

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/21/17 4:00 p.m.

I love OEM looking upgrades- not a hint of silicone blue . Looks like very short routing and with the latest in turbos I wonder how little the lag.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/17 4:08 p.m.

NOT HELPING!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/21/17 6:38 p.m.

I like that the ND is the first miata quick enough out of the box that a turbo version could more or less automatically be assumed to be fast. In the past, a bolt-on boost kit for a miata wasn't even guaranteed to make it as fast as an ND is stock.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/17 7:47 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I like that the ND is the first miata quick enough out of the box that a turbo version could more or less automatically be assumed to be fast. In the past, a bolt-on boost kit for a miata wasn't even guaranteed to make it as fast as an ND is stock.

Buh? It's been a long time since anyone sold a turbo kit that didn't make at least 150 rwhp on an NA/NB.

Keith Tanner
4/21/17 7:58 p.m.

It's not all about the peak power number, NDs are faster than the power peak would have you think. It's a legit comment. Think about the state of the Sebring supercharger circa 1991.

Basically no lag. The high compression spools this thing quick. I'll bet that if we didn't have the big TURBO on the hood of our car, you wouldn't guess it was turbocharged when you drove it. It's quiet.

codrus
4/22/17 12:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's not all about the peak power number, NDs are faster than the power peak would have you think. It's a legit comment. Think about the state of the Sebring supercharger circa 1991.

A) a Sebring isn't a turbo and B) As much as it makes me feel old to say it, 1991 counts as "a long time ago". :)

Do you have a dyno overlay of an ND vs, say, a Voodoo2 on an NA/NB?

Keith Tanner
4/22/17 6:23 a.m.

Vigo also used the term "bolt on boost kit", which I think also includes SC. From the 30,000' view, the evolution of forced induction for the NA looks like the evolution of forced induction for the NC. The ND is shaping up to be slightly different, possibly, but some of the same factors are still there such as an initial supercharger kit that will be limited but a commodity.

I do not have that comparison readily handy, but it's kind of irrelevant because they're very different cars. The most powerful Voodoo is going to have slightly less peak power than the initial dyno runs for the ND turbo, and the ND will only get better from here. The shape of the curves would show a bunch more low end with the ND due to the higher compression and larger displacement.

codrus
4/22/17 12:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I do not have that comparison readily handy, but it's kind of irrelevant because they're very different cars. The most powerful Voodoo is going to have slightly less peak power than the initial dyno runs for the ND turbo, and the ND will only get better from here. The shape of the curves would show a bunch more low end with the ND due to the higher compression and larger displacement.

Vigo brought up the question of a turbo NA/NB vs stock ND, which is what I was addressing. Yes, with the extra displacement/etc I would fully expect an all-else-equal turbo ND to be faster than a turbo NA/NB.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/17 12:40 p.m.

Just curious, how much weight is gained from the turbo kit? I'm assuming around 50-70 lbs; that about right?

I'm sure you guys have been pushing it. Any idea what a boosted ND would need to survive ~20 minute lapping sessions? Bigger radiator? Oil cooler?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/17 12:46 p.m.

In reply to roninsoldier83:

70lbs on that car could be made up easily in horsepower. Hell, most Americans could lose 35lbs and make their miata faster

Keith Tanner
4/22/17 2:50 p.m.

It's not 70 lbs. I don't have weights yet, but I'd say closer to 45. The box isn't all that big

More information on cooling, etc to come. Most of this car's time has been spent either on the dyno or in the trailer going to the Mitty!

roninsoldier83
4/22/17 10:35 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

I wasn't thinking so much in terms of weight as I was weight distribution. When I drove the 124 Spider Abarth, I could really feel the extra 100 lbs over the nose vs the ND. ND felt much more eager to rotate.

In terms of acceleration, I'm sure a boosted ND is a riot to drive!

roninsoldier83
4/22/17 10:36 p.m.

Thanks Keith! I'll eager to see what you guys learn and put together for the boosted ND!

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/24/17 7:10 a.m.

Nice looking kit Keith! I am sure you will move plenty of those.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
twdARy1MXYlS8aSnBVsLCaqWKBx3oA3403UoCvhAsX33iJuU0wsOztRBVZvJF7IR