stroker
stroker UltraDork
10/22/19 9:07 a.m.

This is a follow up to my "GRMU" thread.  I'm on the fence about committing to a build but I want to make the process as productive (get the most out of it and screw up as little as possible) as I can before I do.  As part of the GRMU Knowledge Curriculum I listed basic engineering.  My "build" will involve constructing a scratch built frame so I want some engineering background before I start learning the CAD software (also part of the Knowledge Curriculum) necessary to make it happen.   

So, I'm looking for a "Introduction to Engineering" book.  Suggestions?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/22/19 9:19 a.m.

All of Carroll Smith's books.

Then suspension books by Herb Adams, Alan Staniforth, Don Alexander, and Milliken & Milliken.

That should get you down the rabbit hole pretty deep.

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
10/22/19 9:27 a.m.

^Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith is great for getting into the actual metals you'll want to know about for fabrication.  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
10/22/19 11:15 a.m.

Carroll Smith's books are good for motorsports engineering. I reread them when I'm starting an new project. However . . . 

Your "Introduction to Engineering" request suggests a more basic book - correct?  If so I would be interested in some suggestions too.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/22/19 11:59 a.m.

What kind of engineering are you planning on doing?  Chassis (which will be more static and FEA), suspension (dynamics and multi link bodies), engine (thermodynamics and fluid dynamics), aero (fluid dynamics)....

There's a TON of different engineering in a car. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/19 1:10 p.m.

I second Herb Adams Chassis Engineering

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/19 1:40 p.m.

That's my first reaction as well, Adams. Staniforth's stuff is a little harder to find these days (IIRC) but is good follow-up. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/22/19 3:54 p.m.

Costin & Phipps "Sports and Racing Car Chassis Design". It is old, but all of the basics are there.

clshore
clshore Reader
10/22/19 5:17 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

This^^

More of a practical guide that bridges between theory and real world practice.

BTW, Costin is the 'Cos' part of Cosworth, co-founded with Keith Duckworth.

AngryCorvair
10/22/19 7:04 p.m.

And if you’re lucky enough to find a copy of Mark Donohue’s The Unfair Advantage, that’s a fun read although not strictly an engineering book.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/22/19 7:11 p.m.

+1 ^^^ that was a great read!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/19 7:31 p.m.
WAngryCorvair said:

And if you’re lucky enough to find a copy of Mark Donohue’s The Unfair Advantage, that’s a fun read although not strictly an engineering book.

I was about to say...

I found particularly interesting how he “discovered” that freshening the head(s) while leaving the rotating assembly “seasoned” was a distinct advantage.   

Edit: and why do you need luck?  I bought my copy from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Unfair-Advantage-Mark-Donohue/dp/0837600693/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3IS2D3E29K3TT&keywords=the+unfair+advantage&qid=1571790786&sprefix=The+unfair%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2

AngryCorvair
10/22/19 7:54 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I thought it has been out of print for many years.  I’m glad to find out that I was wrong!  Gonna put this on my amazon wish list now.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/22/19 8:26 p.m.

Stock Car Setup Secrets by Bolles has some great information on aero and just how effective it can be, even at low speeds.

The math is pretty simple too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P8Oken59snA8GQUAeFI2gzmysSskNgPJTFQ6HQJPGkQwesDonMzmYXRmvAZyE64r