1 ... 3 4 5 6
docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
8/29/19 2:46 p.m.

Bought my first new car in decades about 6 weeks ago.  Worked out the deal, went thru the paperwork, everything was fine.  Found out later that the dealer messed up the tax rate for my address, so I had to pay more in taxes.  That was their only mistake, I'm hoping to get my plates for it tomorrow am

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/29/19 2:54 p.m.

caveat  emptor

That is all.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
8/29/19 3:06 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

The interesting thing is that in my interaction with multiple Alfa/Maserati dealers, I've had none of that crap. There seems to be sound reasoning behind "if you want an Alfa, go to the Maserati dealer". Heck, I was waiting for the one I leased the Giulia from to pull a fast one when we had to redo the paperwork for it, but everything was a 100% kosher. Far be it from me to suggest that dealers for expensive cars that may have a clientele that has the money to engage lawyers try less hard to get one over you. Makes you wonder if that's also the case with the other higher-end brands.

This is definitely a thing.  When I was trying to test drive a new Type-R civic, the dealer wouldn't even let me sit in it.   My exact words to the sales person were, "Dude, its a Civic....might be a nice fancy civic, but its still a $35k hatchback.  Not to brag, but I make that kind of money now, I can swing a $35k car.  You are actively working your way out of a sale."

Then, at the Aston Martin dealer, "Here's the keys to a v12/6mt vantage, we close at 6.  Try to be back by then and let us know what you think."  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/29/19 3:08 p.m.
TJL said:

This is just another reason i cant see buying a new car. 

Glad its kinda over but yeah you kinda got screwed for someone else's mistake. 

I love when people want to be all poopoo about paying for their messups. Who berkin cares if your poor dealership has to take a loss, you’re the idiots that caused it! Enjoy the fruits of your mistake. 

This is likely an incredibly rare occurrence, when you consider how many cars are sold in this country every year. I've purchased 4 new vehicles.

1 was special ordered, 1 came in from another dealership because I was adamant on the color/options of the truck. The special ordered vehicle was exactly what it was supposed to be. 

The truck had an iPod connector in the glove box, not what I wanted, and they didn't charge me for it.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/19 3:33 p.m.

I'm in the process of buying a new truck.  I received a copy of the window sticker with all the equipment and the VIN, which matched the internet ad.

I signed all the papers yesterday and I checked the sticker VIN against the truck itself and then every piece of paper I had to sign I compared my original sticker VIN to the number on that piece of paper.   

I pick it up tomorrow - and I will recheck that VIN again on the truck and whatever papers they hand me.   

There is laziness, mistakes and fraud.  Doesn't matter, the outcome of it being wrong is the same: lots of hassles.  

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/29/19 3:38 p.m.
Flynlow said:
BoxheadTim said:

The interesting thing is that in my interaction with multiple Alfa/Maserati dealers, I've had none of that crap. There seems to be sound reasoning behind "if you want an Alfa, go to the Maserati dealer". Heck, I was waiting for the one I leased the Giulia from to pull a fast one when we had to redo the paperwork for it, but everything was a 100% kosher. Far be it from me to suggest that dealers for expensive cars that may have a clientele that has the money to engage lawyers try less hard to get one over you. Makes you wonder if that's also the case with the other higher-end brands.

This is definitely a thing.  When I was trying to test drive a new Type-R civic, the dealer wouldn't even let me sit in it.   My exact words to the sales person were, "Dude, its a Civic....might be a nice fancy civic, but its still a $35k hatchback.  Not to brag, but I make that kind of money now, I can swing a $35k car.  You are actively working your way out of a sale."

Then, at the Aston Martin dealer, "Here's the keys to a v12/6mt vantage, we close at 6.  Try to be back by then and let us know what you think."  

One of my friends at work and I used to go test driving during the lunch hour.  We weren't messing around, he was legitimately looking for a sports car at the time. You'd be amazed how friendly the salespeople are when you show up in a suit.  They will literally let you test drive anything.  On at least one occasion, I showed up at the same dealership on the weekend in shorts and a t-shirt and was conspicuously ignored.  

To the OP, glad this worked out for you.  From the outside, it looks like the dealership sort of "split the loss" with you, which is probably the best you could hope for under the circumstances.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/29/19 4:36 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Is there any badging on the car to show it is AWD?  I feel the OP shares some of the snafu here.  

I addressed that. While I agree that WE think that way, that - for lack of a better word - lapse in judgment should not even be considered in this case.

just because we’re car guys and girls here doesn’t mean we get more blame in the real world for missing these things. Very few regular people would catch the badge missing so we shouldn’t be judged beyond that either.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/29/19 6:06 p.m.

A week before you discover the car is  not what you thought it was ?

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/19 7:14 p.m.

Ever been divorced?  How long did that take?  devil

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/29/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

We BELIEVED we were paying the AWD price (quoted MSRP of $26.870, Mazda USA shows the AWD preferred pkg in white @ MSRP of $26,600).  When I asked about this during re-negotiating, the sales managers response was the price the salesperson gave us was not "MSRP", but "total MSRP"...   and now they wanted the "difference"... from my point of view, it was extortion - we were on the hook, and they could be dicks about it...

We had informed Costco of what we wanted(2019 Mazda3 awd auto preferred pkg in white - no other options), they sent that information to the dealer, the Sales Manager listed on the Costco form, passed this on to the salesperson who contacted us with the "MSRP" and then from their the costs, and Costco discount were calculated   We then told her our zip so she could calculate our registration fees, she gave us a final  $25,167 - we agreed to this.

What is a bit "funny"...   **IF** we had financed this, there is more likelihood that the FWD/AWD error would have been caught....... indecision

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/29/19 7:45 p.m.

Oh... as to the logo..... it is about the size of 3 nickels.... and us not knowing where, or even if it would have a logo

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
8/29/19 7:47 p.m.

What was the MSRP on the sticker you posted? You keep saying the Mazda website shows it as $26,600, but that is before the paint and freight. The "total MSRP" the manager was talking about is right on the site.....

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/29/19 9:24 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
spitfirebill said:

Is there any badging on the car to show it is AWD?  I feel the OP shares some of the snafu here.  

I addressed that. While I agree that WE think that way, that - for lack of a better word - lapse in judgment should not even be considered in this case.

just because we’re car guys and girls here doesn’t mean we get more blame in the real world for missing these things. Very few regular people would catch the badge missing so we shouldn’t be judged beyond that either.

Well sure, I mean yeah... I thought I was buying organic fruits and vegetables, but when I got home, I discovered that they were just regular donuts... surprise

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/29/19 11:29 p.m.

When I was in the Tysons Corner Nissan/Mazda dealer a couple of weeks ago the interior of the 3 ( must've been the top of the line ) called my name. smiley

Now for something completely different.  MSRP vs Total MSRP?  I have one question.  On what level of hell are car salesmen?  Above or below lawyers.  That's like discerning interest on interest or interest on the interest repayment. no

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
8/30/19 7:06 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Its the manufacturers, not the sales people or the dealers. They all do it.  The show MSRP, then freight, the total MSRP. I guess so they can advertise "starting at"....

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/30/19 7:47 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

destination fee bro.. destination fee..  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/19 8:06 a.m.

At least the "advertising fee" and "promotional fee" seem to have gone the way of the dodo.  Advertising is part of your cost of doing business, folks.  I bought your friggin' product - don't try and palm your advertising expenses off on me.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/19 8:09 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Oh... as to the logo..... it is about the size of 3 nickels.... and us not knowing where, or even if it would have a logo

If I was paying more for AWD, or any other feature, I would that it was there. Not because I mistrust the dealer, just because I think it's cool and I want to check it out. But I get being in a rush and having 100 other things going on. I mean, how many times have I opened my McDonalds bag on the highway instead of in the drive-thru? PICKLES AGAIN?!?!?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/30/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

are you done?   If they had meant "total MSRP", they should have said it... They said MSRP... not "total MSRP",,,, so... stfu

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/30/19 9:54 a.m.

I know about dealer shenanigans , I've only worked in the Auto sector all of my life, part of the reason it took this long to buy a car was I didn't want to deal with the dealers B.S..   My wife, knowing this, looked into buying services... where they do it all, and deliver the car to you for you to sign - you never even have to see the dealer!  These services cost in a range from several hundred to a few thousand.  While appealing, I didn't want to add to our out of pocket costs (btw, many of these services advertise that they save more than their fees).   Then my wife found the Costco program, and it seemed perfect.   We tell Costco what we want, they give us, and dealer an authorization number that the dealer has the car we want to buy.  We go there and they deliver THAT car that we had contracted for.

I should have been more aware... YES!   I decided that Costco had "handled it".     I'll be speaking with Costco later today..........

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/30/19 10:09 a.m.

If i win the lottery a d can actually buy a new car, this thread has been helpful. 

I got "never tryst anyone when money is involved"

Again

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/19 10:16 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

I'll be speaking with Costco later today..........

FWIW I think based on what you mentioned early, that's a good idea. Good luck!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/30/19 10:21 a.m.

My Denali’s have NEVER had the AWD logo on the back. I’m guessing not every AWD car does either. 

To Oldeskewltoy: when I bought my first Denali (used) I woke up later that night panicking because I didn’t remember seeing any 4x4 buttons let alone a transfer case lever. I thought I might’ve just bought a 2wd Suburban. It’s a simple mistake for busy people to make and I’m a life-long 4x4 fanatic.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/30/19 10:32 a.m.

There are plenty of stories about people who were shocked when they realized their Grand Cherokees were 2wd.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
8/30/19 6:58 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

are you done?   If they had meant "total MSRP", they should have said it... They said MSRP... not "total MSRP",,,, so... stfu

Why are you so mad at me? You are saying Mazda advertises it for $26,600.  They do not. You think you have some sort of contract with Costco, you do not.

Costco referred you to a dealer, you went there and bought the wrong car, did not confirm what you say was a very important feature (one that anyone could glance at the trunk for), signed the paperwork, and now want to play victim.

You blamed Costco, The salesperson, the manager, the "modified" sticker, and on and on.

Fine, I'll stfu, but learn how to read, and take responsibility when you do stupid things. It's gotta be hard getting through life playing the "woe is me" card for your own screw ups.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
aSKg9xaH7ipqK43PVcLjXGBPpbocZrR8EEcdy7kPjpgNi8JhQDs8oU3QCk0uY3Jm