HOPO
HOPO
3/21/09 10:34 a.m.

Help me sort this out.

Here's the idea.

I'm interested in building something similar to this:

H.A.M.B.

(Scrool to bottom of the page.)

I'm thinking a framed vehicle makes the most sense so that throws me into trucks. I'm familiar with Fords, so a 7th generation F150 (1980 to 1986) for two other good reasons: 1) cheap and 2) I avoid emission inspections in my state if I stay over 25 years old.

Purpose of the vehicle: to scare old ladies and children which is about the only pleasure at my age. I don't intend to race or autox. Mainly for trips to hardware store and dinner with significant other of 23 years. (She's used to craziness--encourages it. Keeps me out of the tavern.)

I intend to use the junk-yard as much as possible. Body would be a combination of metal, wood, fiber glass, doped fabric or whatever.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Anything I should avoid? (Maybe the whole build?)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/21/09 10:50 a.m.

S10's are popular for this type of shenanigans. Common, the right size, with plenty of aftermarket support in both the suspension and driveline departments.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/09 10:59 a.m.

The only problem I can see using the F150 is the size of it, It would be a very large scaled up model of the T racer. You may want to look at some other cars of the era like Blower Bentleys and such. They were big powerful cars that could scare grown men in addition to old ladies and children. Or perhaps some of the land speed cars of the era. One of the many dumb ideas in the back of my mind is a replica of Sir Malcome Campbell's Bluebird. I'd make the cockpit wider for two passengers, and there could be plenty of room for anything you picked up at the hardware store.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
3/21/09 2:59 p.m.

I don't see why you couldn't use any full-frame vehicle for that... A Crown Vic, Caprice, something like that? I agree that the F150 might be rather large for this. A full-framed car might get you closer to your ride-height and size just as soon as the body comes off.

'Round here, rusty V8 Caprices can be found for under a grand.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
3/21/09 3:04 p.m.

Any modern full frame vehicle, (S10, F150, Crown Vic) is going to be pretty wide, compared to any sort of fenderless rod. I think you'll find the proportions will look really weird.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/21/09 4:39 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Any modern full frame vehicle, (S10, F150, Crown Vic) is going to be pretty wide, compared to any sort of fenderless rod. I think you'll find the proportions will look really weird.

Could be true. Depending on the complexity of things, you might be able to get it own to the frame, then section some of the width out of the crossmembers. So you end up with an S10, but 10" narrower for instance. That may or may not work for drive train mounting, etc., but 's worth looking at.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
3/21/09 6:39 p.m.

FYI, Triumphs are full frame cars. Could find a Spitfire or TR4/6 with a rusted body and start from there. Don't think they will handle outragous horsepower (at least not without additional bracing) and probably a good idea to swap the IRS to a narrowed solid axle. But might be a good place to start size-wise.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/21/09 6:59 p.m.

Or an MGA frame

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
3/21/09 7:48 p.m.

If you look at the old plans in the first post on the HAMB board, the body they built is only about 36 inches wide at the widest spot, so take that into account when looking for a frame.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
3/21/09 8:22 p.m.
Wally wrote: The only problem I can see using the F150 is the size of it, It would be a very large scaled up model of the T racer. You may want to look at some other cars of the era like Blower Bentleys and such. They were big powerful cars that could scare grown men in addition to old ladies and children. Or perhaps some of the land speed cars of the era. One of the many dumb ideas in the back of my mind is a replica of Sir Malcome Campbell's Bluebird. I'd make the cockpit wider for two passengers, and there could be plenty of room for anything you picked up at the hardware store.

I would like to see something like this with C4 frame/running gear.

You could always narrow the truck frame, and if I were to go all out, I'd pick a close WB for period looks.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
3/22/09 8:10 a.m.

There's a car that shows up in Bennington Vt. show once in a while. Guy took a school bus frame and built a '32 Ford body on it. The body is 10 X normal size. Huge car!

ww
ww Dork
3/22/09 1:44 p.m.

I think I saw that bus/hot rod on Car Crazy at some point. That thing was nuts.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
3/23/09 2:16 a.m.

From Drop Box

I have seen this beast running around town a few times. It is based on an old fire engine I think...

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
3/23/09 9:31 a.m.

Kinda like the Blast-O-Lene Special

HOPO
HOPO New Reader
3/24/09 3:30 p.m.

Thanks for all the comments--especially the ones about width. Totally went over the top. Now to decide what to do.

And I love the old fire engine build. Thanks, Capt Slow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKazpYETthn5Qc5kKzwHIymfFlzaZckvY8J0gENLdxqKHoXZ4qQ0tdNpqP2S9xVv