HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
2/26/17 4:15 p.m.

what we are working with: 1993 Eagle Summit coupe AKA 4g mirage AKA evo I-III suspension setup.

Options (that I know of): -Fortune auto (blew me off via email reply, but I hear their stuff is good) $1325

-Ksports Kontrol easily found online or can be ordered at my speed shop $900

-BC BR or DR -are these better tan Ksports now? BR $995 DR $1300 (digressive piston)

-possible others in AUS that are hand built, unsure on shipping.

USE OF CAR: -HEAVY use on PA twisty backroads, and highway. possible track day/road course one day.

Price range: id like to stay at 1k if I could.

any info would be great! This car is a bitch to find good coils for! THmotorsports had Ksports for $750 but I hear about shipping issues with them and I cant edit the billing info on their site.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/26/17 4:21 p.m.

Have you checked the MLR forums yet? That's where the early Evo nerds hang out: www.lanceregister.com

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
2/26/17 4:32 p.m.

i forgot about that page. i will check there too. i am us based so trying to find something over here

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/17 5:00 p.m.

Fortune Auto would be my first choice. The Ksports (AKA D2s) are decent for cheapo coilovers. They suffer from typical cheap coilover damping problems - shotgun damping rates and 2 or 3 damping settings regardless of how many adjustment clicks there are. BCs I hear are also decent for cheapos.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/17 5:16 p.m.

Just get Koni's or similar and add sleeves and springs of your choice.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/17 6:00 p.m.

Does the front stabilizer connect to the control arm or to the strut?

If it connects to the control arm, KYB AGXs are available and you can do your own threaded sleeves/coils. Or be cheap and find springs of the generally approriate rate/height and use them.

My car uses a similar suspension (is Evo III style with links to the struts, not to the arms like EvoI-II) and my rear springs are Volvo V40 heavy-duty springs and the fronts are rear springs for a late 60s GM A-body that I cut one of the pigtails off of, then shortened a little at a time until the ride height was where I wanted. Spring rate is something like 200lb or so. Dampers are AGX in the rear and twin tube Bilsteins in the front as that was all I could find for my car on short notice.

The stock springs were way too low and too soft, so the roll center was way too low and there was no stiffness to back that up. It wallowed a lot. I am very happy with the way the car handles now, it's quite chuckable but also rides decently.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/26/17 6:28 p.m.

JVAB sooper suspenders

Knurled
2/26/17 7:54 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Depends on if he wants them next week or next year Haven't heard any real complaints from people after they got product although I've heard that for some people the spring rates aren't the best. It's still a good starting point.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
2/26/17 8:06 p.m.

Id say koni with sleeves but of the options given Fortune have a really good reputation.

trucke
trucke Dork
2/27/17 11:51 a.m.

Have you tried Ground Control? They have a listing for a 1993-1994 Mirage/Colt. Isn't that the same as the Eagle Summit?

Ground Control

Then add Koni's.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/17 12:12 p.m.

Sport bike coilovers + fabrication

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
2/27/17 3:36 p.m.

kyb agx - not available

koni - cartridge only and requires cutting

stock strut and welding cart. in. = NOPE.

GC sleeves - currently on the car

I messaged fortune auto on fb and they directed me to email and then the email reply to my inquiry about setting up coils for my car was "sorry but we do not offer any applications for your vehicle".

this is after i talked with FA on fb messenger and assured them their sedan evo 1-3 coils fit and they forwarded me to the email to get a set made with my rates. this rubbed me the wrong way BAD and i stopped looking at them after that. apparently i was supposef to just go on the site and get evo 1-3 coils and use drop down boxes to enter my rates. just seemed like they didnt care at ALL. that was last year when i had 2k to use on coils and I was ready to buy.

the ONLY shocks available for this car are oem/autozone, koni cartridge inserts or tokico blue (i have these on the rear. the fronts are OOS now, same with the front AGX).

there is one set of tannabe sustecs with no dampening adjustment for 650 wellll used on ebay. trust me i have scoured for years lol. its k sport/taiwan ones or fortune. the GC/koni setup is as much as fortunes and i do NOT like their adjusters and there is no preload seperate from the height adjustment.

fortune is above what i can afford this year as well.

i need adjustably in the shock dampening as well as height adjustments for a max of about 2" drop on a 16x7 wheel.

Knurled
2/27/17 4:57 p.m.

Huh. If the AGXs are NLA, then I bought them at the right time

Knurled
2/27/17 5:00 p.m.

Summit's showing a left front in stock, don't have time to search for the others.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
2/27/17 7:03 p.m.

nothing on summit. just oem kyb. agx has been discontinued for years for this car.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
2/27/17 7:18 p.m.

I have Ksports on my 1g and they ride way way better than any cheaper coilover should. I have zero complaints about them, and they've been on there for about 9 years now.

My old galant vr-4 had Ksports, the newer all black ones, and they rode noticeably harsher, but still not bad. Just rode like you'd expect a car with cheaper coilovers to ride. 2 winters resulted in 3 blown shocks though. I know you shouldn't drive these cheaper (or any) coilovers in snow, but oh well.

From all my reading, ksport, bc, d2 , megan etc are all the same. Fortunes are roughly the same parts, but valved better and have swift springs and other fancier parts.

I'd personally go with the fortunes if you can swing it, they'll be built to much better spec, even though they still use the "cheap" stuff. Also, you may try Feal suspension, they are very similar in how fortune works. My new Galant needs coilovers, and I'm eyeing feal/fortunes.

Knurled
2/27/17 7:20 p.m.

You need to read between the lines sometimes.

Fr'instance, I mentioned I am running AGXs on my car. My car is a Volvo built on the CE9A chassis. I am using AGXs built for a Mirage/Colt/etc. They are NOT a direct interchange and Summit and KYB will tell you they won't work. The difference is Volvo placed the spring perch 1/2" higher on the shock body that Mitsubishi, so the parts are technically different.

Now, I cannot run them on the FRONT, because my car has the sway bar links attach to the struts, whereas most/all? Mitsubishis that aren't EvoIII attach the links to the control arm. Thus, my original question of where the links attach.

KYB AGXs are available for 1st-gen DSMs, those will bolt in to your car, yes? The spring hat height is probably the only difference, and you're going to be doing something about springs anyway, so what difference does it make if it's higher or lower than "stock"? You're taking "stock" and throwing it far away...

It is my estimation that all AGXs have the exact same damping and probably even the same internals. They all seem to have exactly the same stroke and the number adjustment seems to correlate well with spring rate hundreds digit, no matter what chassis it is.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
2/28/17 7:53 p.m.

i heard 1g fronts MAY fit...might need front bolt holes redrilled a bit.

reading between the lines is what this car IS lol. i just keep hitting a wall with suspension. i was on feals site yesterday nothing for my car.

i know about volvo stuff but if they are 1/2" higher and im 2" drop it might get close.

for the record, im bailing on susp once again, and going Snow meth kit since it will actually work on my car. i just dont have the funds to spend 1000 on maybe stuff.

i appreciate the help!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/17 9:20 p.m.

Make your own like I did when I ran FSP in my Frankenmirage.

A1 VW tubes and Koni Inserts either single or double adjustable for the front. Cut the mounting ears off your stock shocks and then weld them on to the A1 VW tubes. From there, place a bead around the top of the tube and slide the GC threaded sleeve over that.

For the rear, Koni sports re valved with the Koni sleeves in the rear.

I ran 375 F 250 R when I ran it on the street. Bumped it to 500 F and 325 R when I didn't drive it on the street anymore.

I had the whiteline anti-dive bushings up front with the CA4A Tien Camber plates and the Cusco strut bar for the front and in the rear I had the whiteline RSB that we made better mounts for. For the front bar, I ran the 22MM factory bar from the eagle sedan.

Overall very neutral setup. It loved to rotate with the throttle. I also had the transmission out of the Summit Van for the numerically higher ratio transmission.

I'd almost build another one as a chump car as it was so fun at the frack and I got mine w/o a cage under 1900 LBS in a full streetable configuration.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
3/1/17 3:16 p.m.

ive already killed a 1.5 and a 1.8l trans. ripped teeth off 3rd on each lol. im running a 2g dsm fwd trans now to hopefully hold the power lol.

thats a lot of weld work, and i cant weld. ill come backto it. i wish koni just had adj struts for my car.

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
3/1/17 3:40 p.m.

What's wrong with using the koni cartridge with some quality koni or ground control sleeves?

FarNorth racing (DG for the DSM guys) did a write up on a koni setup for 2G DSMs. Not entirely the same as a 1G or EvoMirage I know, but good info.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross/konis.html

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
3/2/17 7:53 p.m.

Also, I've used Evo 8 suspension retrofitted to work on a galant on 2 galants. Works great for the price You may be able to adapt it to your car. Front is simple swapping top hats, and some spacers for the knuckles (Evo knuckle is fatter). Rear you weld a dsm style lower mount on.

I'd personally go evo struts over AGX's. Or, find the rebuildable MR Bilsteins.

Knurled
3/2/17 8:05 p.m.
RyanW wrote: Also, I've used Evo 8 suspension retrofitted to work on a galant on 2 galants. Works great for the price You may be able to adapt it to your car. Front is simple swapping top hats, and some spacers for the knuckles (Evo knuckle is fatter). Rear you weld a dsm style lower mount on. I'd personally go evo struts over AGX's. Or, find the rebuildable MR Bilsteins.

Please elucidate. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that EvoVIII struts would fit with minor tweaking but have never had the guts to ante up to buy a used set just for measurement taking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S2tIX981PyL7hFLxUv9ew2UhMUsPC6KAENI3DVKeDgRShvWn0768pO1jjTlK6Cq5