1 2
CaptCaffeine
CaptCaffeine New Reader
1/20/17 7:09 p.m.

First of all Hi, I'm new to the forum and, if we are being honest car racing/car stuff in general. That said I was reading the forums and came across the GRM 2017 Challenge which sounds like a good way to get into the AutoX scene on a small budget, which is pretty much what I am on. I have my brother as my mentor, he is great with cars and an amateur AutoX driver. He has a lot of the necessary tools and experience to work on cars and I am going to soak up as much knowledge from him as I can in the process.

Now I need a suggestion for my car model base for the 2017 Challenge. I am 6'4 and that is my biggest concern is that I have to fit comfortably in the car and hopefully don't have to buy custom racing seats just to drive it. (Also if I have to mod the seats/buy new ones does that count against my budget?) I don't know much about cars that are decent at AutoX which is why I joined the forum in the first place to learn a lot of stuff from everyone. The way I see it is I am 6'4 and gotta add 2-3" for the helmet. I'm looking to spend between $1000-$1500 on the car to save some wiggle room for parts, mods, etc.

With that I am open to everyone's suggestions!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/20/17 7:39 p.m.

First things first: welcome!!!

Best is completely subjective. The question is:what do you want to be stuck with afterwards? Then we find a way to help you be competitive.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
1/20/17 7:42 p.m.
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/20/17 7:58 p.m.

Step one- buy whatever looks fun.

Step two- use that.

The standard boilerplate answers are civic, miata, panther, e30 Its been done to death. Given that it's creativity and ability to work on what you have that wins and not a given platform....

Anything is possible. Everything from a mustang cobra to a zamboni. And that was the same car.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/20/17 8:05 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Exactly. Last year was a Studebaker. This year were bringing a sledgehammer amc.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/20/17 8:16 p.m.

My observation is that you need to pick the smallest and/or coolest thing you can cram a small block V8 into, and then throw lots of rubber at it.

Of course that's what I like to imagine is the solution to every problem. I'm occasionally wrong...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/17 8:16 p.m.

I always suggest a BG chassis mazdas and ford's with a 1.8L dohc BP motor as a starting point.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
1/20/17 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

did you not even look at my links? check out the one that says my favorite

captdownshift
1/20/17 8:32 p.m.
captdownshift
1/20/17 8:34 p.m.
captdownshift
1/20/17 8:36 p.m.
Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/20/17 8:38 p.m.

In reply to Pattyo:

I think we understand each other.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/17 8:48 p.m.

You have to consider that a lot of the mods done for The Challenge would make the car totally uncompetitive for classed autocross. A Challenge car also needs to be more balanced with the drags in addition to autocross.

Ask yourself what are your goals for the Challenge and what are your goals for after the Challenge. If you're wanting an autocross car that you can bring to the Challenge then find the best cheap autocross car that you can fit in. If you want a Challenge car that you'll autocross afterwards but don't care about classing then I'd suggest getting the most powerful cheap car you can fit in and figure out how to make it handle.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/20/17 9:01 p.m.

Daily, search CL for a '90 - '95 Infiniti Q45 for under $2k.
What ever is left, spend on making it reliable.

Also search for a PT Cruiser GT (turbo 2.4L) with a manual trans. That will get you a desirable drivetrain wrapped in an undesirable body which will make it cheap.

Lincoln Mark 8 also!

Stampie
1/20/17 9:03 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Why you want to ignore the 3rd gen?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/20/17 9:06 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: Why you want to ignore the 3rd gen?

True. Any Q45 newer than '02 as well but harder to find in serviceable condition for under $2k

Stampie
1/20/17 9:13 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Just giving you a hard time. The 3rd gen isn't as good out of the box but swaping the differential and unpluging the yaw sensor will transform it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/20/17 9:13 p.m.

How about a Fiero turbo with a cage. It even comes with Challenge stickers! $1000 in Jacksonville.

CaptCaffeine
CaptCaffeine New Reader
1/20/17 9:17 p.m.

Thanks guys I appreciate the CraigsList links! I am concerned more with having a car that can function as an AutoX car afterwards but my biggest concern isn't necessarily the best car to win. I just want something that I can compete and have fun in, but I also have to physically fit inside of it, that was really my main concern.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/20/17 9:21 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: One last one

Hahaha I sold that one a few months ago. I guess he is selling it now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/20/17 9:27 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 about the fiero:

Why are you tempting me?!?!??

I have no use, no money, no space, no time, and severe, gut wrenching WANT.

Stampie
1/20/17 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Sounds like the perfect combination of things needed to make it happen.

captdownshift
1/20/17 9:34 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

It looks to have had a rough few months

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/20/17 9:48 p.m.

Selling it to a 20 year old can do that...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/21/17 6:29 a.m.

Buy a Panther platform. You can certainly have fun, parts are plentiful and cheap and you can fit in one comfortably.

Look for a 2003 P71 and have fun.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jooswR1sGY4mDyB6oW5bh2XsLkkKM8fKieQRF1swX5EH0pfvmcxkSu3pMGujSv3w