turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/13 1:08 p.m.

So there's a guy I know the book of faces that has an 88 944 Turbo s for sale. He's pulled the brakes and transaxle from it and is offering the rest of the car, which is in good condition with a few minor mods, for $2500.

I've got a set of standard 944 turbo brake calipers already and my buddy has a 944 turbo transaxle that he'd sell me for a few hundred bucks.

I've already got a 924 that I've spent many, many years fixin and would likely need to let it go if I got the Turbo S, since I've promised the wife that I won't have all that many project cars around. Plus I could move a few of the trick parts off the toofah to S (the weltmeister adjustable sway bars for example along with the 28mm torsion bars)

Thoughts?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/4/13 1:15 p.m.

What's up with the 924 that would make you want to part with it after all that effort?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/13 1:16 p.m.

It's not a turbo 944.

Could you/would you (in a box?) swap 944 drivetrain into your 924? I like that option, if it is one.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 1:24 p.m.

If you pass, I know a very, very interested party...

turboswede
9/4/13 1:29 p.m.

I went too far with the engine changes and its slower than the second coming, proving really difficult to tune effectively and in general really uncomfortable to drive for any period of time due to the heat coming through the floorboards. I'd have to take huge steps back to resolve this since I no longer have the stock intake and the throttle bodies are way too large.

The more I work on it, the more I realize that its parts should live on in another car, but the chassis is just about knackered. The only way forward is to build it into a full-on race car with a cage, etc. and taking it off the street so it can be replaced with something else like this 944 Turbo S.

On top of this, the wife really, really doesn't like the 924 basically since I bought it without her knowing and its been a bone of contention between us for some time now. When the Turbo S first came up over the weekend, she was immediately on board with getting it. Since all I really want right now is a fun sports car to cruise around and go to autocrosses, etc with her, this seems to make the most sense. I'll get my real racing fix through ChumpCar, track days with this car and sharing rides with my friends.

If go ahead with trying to make this deal, I'd likely keep the 924 for the time being and try to sell my CSX again to get the car count down to a reasonable number. At which point the 924 can be decided on.

turboswede
9/4/13 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

No, I'd rather put one of the Turbo-dodge motors I have laying around into the 924. I have a 2.5L SOHC with fresh forged pistons, aluminum flywheel, Neon DOHC head/intake (for the conversion) along with a RWD bell housing and oil pan. Plus enough stock harnesses, etc to put it together with the stock ECU.

The Turbo S is worth more as a running and driving car, which is what I really want right now. I'm really tired of driving the wife's Highlander around and she won't ride in the 924 since she hates it (Javelin can relate), plus its so slow that just driving on the freeway can be dangerous.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/13 1:36 p.m.

Ok, i'm totally down with the turbo dodge motor in that car as well. It just needs to live somehow. I'm in love with the body.

turboswede
9/4/13 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Yeah, me too. I still like to look at it everytime we come home. Just wish I hadn't screwed up the build by making it a pain in the butt to deal with. Oh well, live and learn.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/13 5:33 p.m.
turboswede wrote: On top of this, the wife really, really doesn't like the 924 basically since I bought it without her knowing and its been a bone of contention between us for some time now. When the Turbo S first came up over the weekend, she was immediately onboard with getting it.

The answer is in your post. If you're looking for an enabler, look no further than SWMBO.

turboswede
9/4/13 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Yup, we're going to go get it tonight. I was going to go up without her, but I'd rather her be there to make sure that she actually likes it and is okay with it coming home.

I'll clean up the CSX tomorrow and get it listed on CL so it can go on down the road, will probably try to get it snuck through emissions testing so that the new buyer can just drive it wherever without too much hassle. That should get me the money I need to grab a transaxle and a set of rebuilt brakes, plus the FOES (timing belt is about 30K old) and seals that I know it will need before I think of putting it on the street.

If, in the process of that work, I find that it is on its last legs (it doesn't sound like it, but one doesn't know for sure until one dives in), then the performance parts on it alone will make me my money back (Wolf3D EMS, BB turbo, Lindsey exhaust, recovered dash, etc.)

turboswede
9/4/13 9:25 p.m.

Waiting on the tow truck.... God help me to sell the parts I need to so that SWMBO doesn't remove my manly bits ;)

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/5/13 12:32 p.m.

I like the look of it very much.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/5/13 4:36 p.m.

well worth 2500 imo. Looks like a great buy.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/5/13 5:23 p.m.

Very worth $2500, nice find/buy

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/7/13 1:09 a.m.

I didn't think Boxter wheels looked good on anything. I was wrong.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/13 11:03 a.m.

Very Nice!

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/13 9:31 p.m.

Approved (because I've always wanted one too). I also think that was a very good price.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
9/7/13 9:41 p.m.
turboswede wrote: I'll clean up the CSX tomorrow and get it listed on CL

Crap why do you have to be in Oregon?

turboswede
9/9/13 10:51 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
turboswede wrote: I'll clean up the CSX tomorrow and get it listed on CL
Crap why do you have to be in Oregon?

Its in good enough shape to drive home (except for the R-compound tires) and I would make a GRM'er a hell of a deal on it ($1K obo) along with the spare parts I have for it (gas tank, heater core, etc). Honestly, I loved the car and I've failed to give it the care it deserves, so anyone who's crazy about them should get it and give it the love it deserves. Even if I have to store it a while, I would be willing to do so for the right buyer :)

Is that enabling enough? Or is that just twisting the knife? ;)

As to the 951: got it home and I've started looking it over. Came with a set of good axles, so I just need the transaxle, rotors, pads, brake lines, wear sensors, ABS sensors to get it on the road again. I'll start a build thread on it :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uRiOfT6pte1W0fC99Snlp4LVvbpMlRAIwxYMaGQwhHfP8juUEml8U3le2Hs2YtKU