DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 9:05 a.m.

Mmmmk my rear tires are at about 4/32 and I want to get some new ones ordered that way when they get really bad I can throw them on there whenever. My fronts are still at 7/32 so I'm not gonna worry about those right now. I'm either looking for 285/35/18 or 295/35/18s.

I have the craptacular Sumitumo HRT Z dos on there right now and they really haven't lasted that long. The control for the tread wear test must have been a competition tire. Not to mention they don't girp, hook, or tread water very well.

I've done some research and the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval has caught my eye. Everyone has raved it for being a great hooking tire that lasts which is something I'd like. Anyone have any experience with these? My other option is BFGoodrich KDW2, I've used them before, horrible road noise, and an autoX with a nasty wagon wheel destroyed the life on my front right tire and then the car was destroyed before I could test the range of the rears. Both are in price range and both American....F YEAH

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
9/25/08 9:54 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Both are in price range and both American....F YEAH

Firestone is a brand of Bridgestone, a Japanese company, and has been since 1988.

B.F. Goodrich is a brand of Michelin, a French company, also since 1988.

Scott

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 10:04 a.m.

you just ruined it for me thanks....i knew it anyways, i just try to forget that.

Now how about which ones to go with?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/08 10:21 a.m.

KDW II's are WORLDS better then the base KDW's. The II's perform MUCH better on John's 400HP GTO. Are you sure you had the II's before? They have a "flame" tread pattern instead of a standard-style one.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 10:32 a.m.

Yes i had the KDW2 with the barb wire/flame pattern, I actually had one of the first batches of them. Got compliments on them all the time and people constantly were asking me where i got them from, how much, and so on. That was a while back.

They are a tad bit more expensive, still in my price range, they just don't have 275/40/17 for the front, just 255/40/17. They fit, but stretched a bit on the 9.5inch wide front rim.

What about the Firehawks?

P71
9/25/08 12:20 p.m.

The 255/40/17's are what we got for the GTO and they're HUGE. Comparable to a 275 KDW I There's like an inch more tread width on the 255 II vs the 245 I. Traction is A-1 with the new ones (John's are only some 6 months old), 1.8 60' times and good on the autocross.

Never played with the Firehawks.

(off topic) I went to UCF for a year in 02/03 before I joined the military BTW. (/offtopic)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 2:25 p.m.

This is the least favorite of my 3 Florida universities that I've attended. FAU was small, beachy, lots of beautiful women, just very expensive. UF - was awesome for fall semester for football, lots of beautiful nerdy girls, Gainesville raceway, just couldn't find a decent job that wasn't at a bar, and it was boring. UCF - I live at home, this campus is huge, the parking is horrible, not a good college atmosphere, and I think I'm getting more stupid by the day actually.

I'll have to do some more research on the tires.

P71
9/25/08 3:09 p.m.

Again, I left a full ride scholarship to UCF to enlist in the military. That's how crappy it was. The whole place was a money trap and I didn't learn jack squat there...

Back to tires. You may want to look into the Falken FK452's. 300 Treadwear, UHP, and $191 each at Edge Racing (a GRM advertiser):

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2853518/

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
9/25/08 5:19 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: you just ruined it for me thanks....i knew it anyways, i just try to forget that. Now how about which ones to go with?

Sorry for being a tool, it was a bad morning. I don't have any direct experience with either tire.

Scott

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 6:25 p.m.

I was just joshing with you no need to apologize I'm a very joking person.

P71 luckily I have only juan semester left there (this one) and I'm out! I switched my major to something that would get me out ASAP. If I can't find a job within six months it's the Air Force.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/08 11:15 p.m.

If you're going to look for the best tires for your application, you might be seriously limiting yourself by preferring American.

Toyo makes killer tires in that size range. Proxes T1Rs have been on my car in both 255/45-17 and 275/40-17 and I've loved every minute of it. Killer grip in dry, very good in wet, maintain their grip in cool weather, progressive and predictable lateral traction loss... good stuff.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/25/08 11:50 p.m.

I was just joking about the American thing.

P71
9/26/08 9:07 a.m.

The FK452's are supposed to run rings around the T1R for less. It's what I'm getting for the P71

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
9/26/08 11:46 a.m.

I just replaced the Wide Ovals that we'd been running on my wife's 530i. They were great tires and we got nearly 30K miles out of them, but the rolling resistance took a toll on our mileage. They were replaced with a site of tires with a bit less stick and a bit more sidewall cushoning.

A new pair of FK452's were insalled on my M3 when i bought it this spring. They're fairly sticky and good in the rain, but I hope to replace them soon when i buy a set of Star Specs in anticipation of next seasion's autox and track events.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
9/27/08 10:34 a.m.

hmm gotta decide soon, tires are gettting badddd lol

autoxfil
autoxfil New Reader
9/27/08 12:24 p.m.

Sumitomo HTR Z III? They are MILES better than the Z (which I have and dislike.)

I have General Exclaim UHPs on my daily, and they're nice for that - great in the wet, quiet, grippy (way more than the HTR Z) and CHEAAAAAP!

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
9/28/08 6:09 a.m.

I have run Sumitomos, Kumho MXs, BFG KDW II (no 275s &*%$#$#$) and Toyos in 275/40 and 295/35. I heard they are dropping the Firestones in 295/35-18 but they seem to run out well. I currently have a set of Toyos (265 & 295) and a mixed set of Sumitomo 275s and BFG 295s. I like the Toyos much better. The Kumho MXs are great tires.

If you have the budget I really like Michelin Pilot Sports

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QK11Kv66OFj4NbYP8j87VjT6MsnHg8xOKhTUTPX6aJTTqXlPC5jNBWOHEInRmTs7