MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/10/08 6:58 p.m.

The wife and I are driving from Gainesville, FL to Charleston, SC this friday to pick up a car. The trip will be the first tow adventure for my beater 97 GMC Safari so im trying to prepare for the possibility we may break down. If anyone along the way is willing to lend a hand if help is needed please pm me with contact info. We will be leaving Gainesville early in the AM, picking up the car early to mid morning, then driving home. Wish us luck that we dont break down, and dont melt (no AC). Thank you all ahead of time, and I will gladly return the favor if anyone needs help anywhere near gainesville..

The route of the fabulous adventure:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/10/08 9:17 p.m.

On the Chucktown end, be glad to lend a hand if needed. I'll be working on Friday and will be in Orangeburg (Urnchburg to the locals) on Sat. doing an autocross. Got a open trailer, Trooper, welder, plasma cutter, tools and a driveway and I ain't afraid to use 'em. Cell 843 270 2151. What flavor of vehicle are you picking up? Lemme guess, the answer is Miata.

BTW, looks like you are going up Highway 17 once you pass Beaufort. Beautiful trip, you will particularly like the part across the big marshes, but a lot of dangerous two lane. For some stupid reason people like to pass big trucks and buses in dumb areas down there, stay on you toes, allow plenty of room and watch out for driveways.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/10/08 10:38 p.m.

Thanks for the offer Jman (Happy Bday as well)

Jensenman wrote: What flavor of vehicle are you picking up? Lemme guess, the answer is Miata.

This time for a change, the answer isnt Miata.
I will be using the glorious Safastro:

To pick up This:
While it is possible price wise, this is a commuter not a challenger. Im getting into the high mpg expensive fuel world. Hopefully WVO, SVO, or Biodiesel are in my near future. As you can see it needs some repair. Someone had some trouble judging a turn and lost a battle with a low center divider.
If we end up staying in the area overnight I will give you a shout and buy you a birthday beer. Heck, maybe I will stop by the autocross and show my wife what my spit might be capable of if I ever quit getting distracted and finish.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/11/08 12:07 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: ever quit getting distracted and finish.

whistles and walks away...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/11/08 7:35 a.m.

I'm also in the area, Chucktown end, Have tools, but no truck or welder...

Jensenman has the better shop..

how do you PM?

I am working friday but could help if needed after 3 or so.. Boss is in Nova Scotia so.....

I will be around all day Saturday for help if that happens as well.

Watch your speed on 17 going through cottageville etc. The road goes from 55 mph to 35mph in a heartbeat. I see folks pulled over there on every trip through.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/11/08 8:03 a.m.

Cottageville is actually on 17A, which is somewhat inland. ignorant is exactly right: if you happen to come through that little 'burg watch it! Cottageville and Ridgeway are known as the two worst speed traps in SC.

Of course, not everyone is subject to the rules. The previous Cottageville police chief flipped his F150 at about 105 one night and there's a strong suspicion alcohol was involved but no ticket was ever issued. True story. The new chief feels like he's gotta clean that blot off the town reputation.

ryanhettenbach
ryanhettenbach New Reader
6/11/08 8:33 a.m.

I've owned a bunch of Astro/Safari vans and anytime I take a long road trip, I keep an extra fuel pump, alternator, acc. belt and crankshaft sensor in the back just in case...oh yeh, my tools too.
Other than those parts, you should be fine!
For all your Astro/Safari needs go to www.astrosafarivans.net i'm ryanhettenbach over there too.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/11/08 9:20 a.m.

Jman and Ignorant-youve got PM!

Ryan-thanks for the heads up-I will go parts shopping tomorrow. Ive spent quite a bit of time cruising/lurking on those forums, they have been quite helpful. Though is is kind of sad that there seems to have been some kind of Astro/Safari community melt down recently that wiped years of good info off of the web.

ryanhettenbach
ryanhettenbach New Reader
6/11/08 9:32 a.m.

If you need to find any info off the old Astro/Safari board, you can still go to www.astrosafari.com and the old board is archived and read only. It is a shame what happened but the newer board is much better than the old one was any day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cx5WrrWYXqmcV2j4e3AbDfBiklJuUefmJsbpo9Zk8iXnZx3d1fqm9qmI91qT3yjH