GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
GladlyTheCrossEyedBear GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/7/14 8:30 a.m.

My daughter works at the University in East Lansing and her fairly new (to her) 2011 Mini has thrown a check engine light and gone into limp mode. My code reader hasn't got a 600 mile long cable, so I'm of no use. I found University Motors with some good reviews, but if anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate it!

(PS, when her lil' sister was born we had to leave an autocross event. She was upset that she had to stop riding her trike around the cones in the paddock and leave early)

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/7/14 8:36 a.m.

That car may be to new for University Motors to mess with but call them anyway and explain your dilemma.The proprietor of that business is among the finest human beings on the planet. 100% straight shooter.

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
2/7/14 8:41 a.m.

That was a mighty quick and useful reply. Thank you, Mr. TRoglodyte!

I usually only lurk, but this board has always had amazing citizens.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/7/14 8:45 a.m.

FYI, there are several shops with names similar to University Motors in MI. One is a classic British shop in Grand Rapids, maybe that's who TRoglodyte is thinking of. Lansing is a university town (MSU), and there are at least two--one is a dealership, the other repairs imports and I think that's the one you want. http://universityforeigncar.com/

Carl

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/7/14 9:13 a.m.

University Foreign Car in Lansing is your best bet. One of the lead mechanics there is Brian Block, I'd request he be the technician who looks at it.

He's a long time friend of mine and is an excellent tech.

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
2/7/14 9:21 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf:

Excellent info! She's going in to see Brian at lunchtime today. You guys rock! When I'm out in MI this summer I owe you all a beer. Thanks, Michael

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/7/14 9:25 a.m.
GladlyTheCrossEyedBear wrote: In reply to xflowgolf: Excellent info! She's going in to see Brian at lunchtime today. You guys rock! When I'm out in MI this summer I owe you all a beer. Thanks, Michael

Glad to help.

...and in the spirit of GRM, here's Brian's personal 122 project that should be on track this year. Finishing up a T5 swap, narrowed Ford 8.8 rear end, fresh B20, and proper brakes/rolling attire this winter.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/7/14 9:37 a.m.

Oops, Michigan is a big place, Sorry about the misinformation. Glad someone here has intelligent answers! My comment on University Motors still stands.

Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
2/7/14 9:48 a.m.

It's probably a bit far away for your daughter, but (IMO) the best private Mini mechanic in Michigan is Detroit Tuned. Detroit Tuned

You might also want to ask on the Michigan Mini club's website MMMC if you haven't done so already. Lots of helpful people on there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epfQoLnTsuA9Ucz9lMjzWF5PhnEyjhFHxO2Yoq90upufU9y7Egal98ieiOU9h7NS