1 2
Enggboy
Enggboy New Reader
4/9/14 4:22 p.m.

Hello All,

I am in need of a quick bit of advice. I am going to be loaning my 1991 Miata to a friend for a few months and since he has very limited experience with RWD cars I wanted to make the car a bit less likely to oversteer on him if he hits the limit.

As it stands now, I have the adjustable FM anti-sway bars front and rear, but stock suspension. My alignment is set-up to be neutral while neutral throttle, but if you lift off at the limit the rear end will come around.

I would like to do something quick and easily reversible to keep the rear end more planted under throttle lift situations. Understeer is favourable to me right now.

My initial thoughts are to soften or disconnect the rear sway bar entirely, but I wanted to consult with the knowledgebase here before I condemn this man to spinning my car into a guardrail.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Martin

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 4:24 p.m.

Disconnect rear sway bar.

Or.... tell him if he wrecks it, he buys it, and maybe he won't drive it at or beyond the limit.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
4/9/14 4:25 p.m.

Not to sound like "that guy", but...

If he's going to be driving your car on the street anywhere approaching the limits of traction, and he doesn't have the fear and good sense to understand what happens at or near those limits, why the hell would you lend a car to him???

editSFO beat me to it

On topic, could you disconnect or remove the rear sway?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
4/9/14 5:07 p.m.

Front bar full stiff and rear bar full soft (or disconnect like mentioned). A step further would be to adjust the front toe inwards to induce more understeer.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
4/9/14 5:07 p.m.

Put skinny tires on the front?

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/9/14 5:10 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Front bar full stiff and rear bar full soft.

This.

Or tell him something along the lines of "Hey Friend, dont wreck my car."

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
4/9/14 5:11 p.m.

Put stock rear bar back on, adjust tire psi.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/9/14 5:13 p.m.

if this is a concern just start planning and budgeting for an exocet now

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/9/14 5:45 p.m.

Just take the rear bar off completely and store it until you get the car back.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/9/14 5:54 p.m.

There's room for making the car more user-friendly for an inexperienced driver, and disconnecting the rear sway is probably all you need. IMHO the 5/8" FM rear bar is way too aggressive in any case.

It's 2 nuts to disconnect it, and then a few zip ties to stop the end links from flapping around. Easy peesy, do that, then take it out and do a throttle-lift-while-cornering yourself in a safe place and see what it does. With the FM front bar and no rear it should be very understeery.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/9/14 6:06 p.m.

I was always told that the rule of thumb is "The stiffer side slides". Obviously that isn't always the case, as other things factor, but with all else being equal, removing the rear bar should make the car more prone to understeer.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
4/9/14 8:20 p.m.

adjust tire pressures; more in the front and less in the rear is my recommendation.

Enggboy
Enggboy New Reader
4/9/14 9:53 p.m.

Hi, thanks so much for the replies and info! I suppose a bit more background is needed: My friend is probably the most responsible person I know, and I have zero concerns about him pushing the limits. I just know that my car is twitchy at the limits, and I want to minimise any surprises if he encounters something unexpected like gravel in a corner or stopped cars at the end of a cloverleaf on-ramp, etc.

He will have the car for about 5 months (long story, but he needs a loaner until he leaves the country), so I was looking for something simple that doesn't require specific maintenance (such as differing tire pressures). I think I will just disconnect one end of the rear bar and zip-tie the link.

Thanks again for all the input, I am happy to know I was on the right track. Insurance will cover him if it gets wrecked (we have this arranged already), but honestly, 99.99% chance that it would be caused by someone else if he does get in a collision.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/14 10:10 p.m.

I'm with Codrus. Just disconnect the end links and tie up the rear bar. Two bolts.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
4/10/14 12:32 a.m.

Add V8, stir.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/10/14 9:52 a.m.

I like the term understeery and it sounds like your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
4/10/14 10:28 a.m.

Toe in front and back. No performance for you!

Keith Tanner
4/10/14 1:06 p.m.
DavidinDurango wrote: Add V8, stir.

In my experience, understeer is not always the end result of this recipe

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
4/10/14 1:08 p.m.

What am I missing here? It's not like you are lending out a 1970s 911 Porch Turbo that is more likely to spin than not, its a MIATA for heavens sake. If Miatae were a menace to those UN-initiaded to RWD, no-one on the planet would not be able to get a good coif anymore for crying out loud!

I would be more worried about handing over a car that has non-factory validated handling traits.

Seriously, if you cant drive a Miata, you should not be driving.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
4/10/14 6:31 p.m.

I would never lend a car to anyone I consider a friend who would drive it anywhere near "the limit" without the talent or intelligence to not wreck the car. You wreck my car, you fix it or buy it. I agree - If you can't drive a Miata, you should not be driving.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/10/14 6:43 p.m.

Yes but it's the OP's car and he has described it as "twitchy" so I see no issues with wanting to make it a little less twitchy while loaning it out. It's not unheard of for someone, especially on this board, to take an otherwise benign handling car and make it very tricky to drive, even on the street. Either for competition purposes or just because they like them a little twitchy.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/11/14 9:24 a.m.
I see no issues with wanting to make it a little less twitchy while loaning it out. It's not unheard of for someone, especially on this board, to take an otherwise benign handling car and make it very tricky to drive, even on the street.

Definitely! Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I would disconnect the rear dirveshaft and change the tire pressures and see if that is enough.

Keith Tanner
4/11/14 9:44 a.m.

Disconnecting the rear driveshaft should taking handling out of the picture entirely - at least, once the car gets to the bottom of any available hill

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
4/11/14 11:18 a.m.

Disconnect rear anti-sway bar and/or go back to OEM alignment while your friend has the car.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
4/11/14 10:14 p.m.

Make him pay a damage deposit equal to or greater than the price of the car. Tell him/her that it will be completely forfeited in the event of damage. That ought to take understeer or oversteer completely out of the picture.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dzWENJNKvc98AfMIZao3K1fkj4wvYe7NQJhlQpYwaiSUVwK2wmDxCqTXaOvYYh8B