Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/10/19 12:50 p.m.

this thing is MINT!

all you can eat chinese buffet stop

They have sushi. Im happy. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/10/19 2:31 p.m.

We are home. Acter some chores, ill do an update of budget/parts, etc.

Im also going to make a list of stuff that i KNOW i dont need. Lets the fire sale begin!

Dusterbd13-michael
2/10/19 6:38 p.m.

Alright, so legitimate update time. With not enough pictures.

First, money spent/earned

previously: 2582.84 for the pile (I received euro tails, another ECM, the heat only box from the ACR, another set of coupe seats, a set of SRT4 wheels, a bag of throttle bodies and wiring harnesses, and some other miscellaneous crap I cant remember from Nate when we did the titles)

this time:

451 for the parts car

sold a bobble for 28.00 after shipping

sold a DOHC furl rail, 4 19lb injectors, and one of the trannys for 210

new total (for 3 neons now): 2795.84

so, last weekend I found a post on the Facebook of a guy looking for a fuel rail. I have a few! So I sold him one, and he wound up buying other stuff while he was here (see above) so money back in the budget!

I also got all the title work done, so I officially (per the state of north Carolina) no longer own a BMW, but now own two neons. One of which I owned previously. That was more expensive of a DMV trip than I was expecting.

Anyway, after the DMV we went down to nates dads place and grabbed the rest of the parts. Unfortunately, his dad scrapped a bunch of stuff two weeks ago, including some of the promised parts. Which sucked, as the 2.4 swap stuff was in there....

anyway, I took the locked up 2.0 and the 2.4 down to dads to start the ring and bearing rebuild on the 2.4. we knew the head was scrap due to no cam caps, but when we got the pan off, we found shrapnel of bearings and a chink of ring. Pulling the head revealed scored cylinder walls and a significant ridge. So, it was going to be a big machine shop bill to revive, or a $300 hand grenade. I went on car-part.com looking for 2.4 engines with a warranty, or a 2.0 DOHC. Cheapest was $300. ok, not worth the hand grenade option. But adding in the swap parts I would need, cheapest I was getting out (after gaskets, timing belt, and swap parts) was going to be right at $500. so, not so good there. Doable, but ot exactly a screaming deal like I was thinking it wold be. Damn.

On the bright side, I do have an SRT-4 oil pan, oil pump, pickup, and ARP head studs to sell. Or use, but probably sell.

A month or so ago, I had contacted a guy on craigslist about a wrecked 2.4 swapped coupe. At the time, he wanted $800 for the car without wheels and tires. I called him Friday, and the car was still there. He lived about 2 hours and a hundred miles from me. Car had an ebay short tube, syked 2.4 swap ECU, fresh timing belt and clutch, a 96 dohc trans, new carpet, and new headliner. I told him id give him

$400 if the car was stone cold when I got there, made no noises or smoke and ran well. He negotiated back that he keeps the battery, computer, and header and wheels and tires.

I drove up yesterday morning. The car hadn't been started in a month. Put a battery in it, spun about twice and it fired up. No smoke, noises, nothing. Throw-out bearing howls with the clutch out in neutral, until it warms up. Car hit HARD in the drivers front corner. But, exactly as described. Oil still looked fresh! Mpx swap mounts, ac blows cold. Ebay stainless header, ebay warm air intake, filthy. Stereo is missing, and almost every panel was damaged. We talked, and shook hands. Dallas and I went this morning to pick it up. I offered an extra 51 bucks for the header and ECU, and he took it. We drove it onto the trailer, strapped it down, and brought it home. While doing this, I sold one of the extra semi-solid bobbles I have on the Facebook for 37 shipped (28 after fees and shipping). So overall, today is a win!

Here's the car on the trailer. Its BENT.

20190210_111848 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_132823 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_132812 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

we got it home, and unloaded. I started cleaning and inspecting. Very filthy. Very, very very filthy. So superclean and a garden hose to start. Then pictures to document!

Underhood: whole reason for purchase

20190210_152606 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

not pictured is the semisolid bobble, unorthodox under-drive pulley, ebay header, or stratus oil pan. Or, apparently, a decent picture of the post cleaned state. Just this one. (and the valve cover leaks. Looks like the oil pan gasket is seeping as well, but....

additionally, it has a syked 2.4 swap ECU. The sticker that says syked is missing, but it is the version made for a no wiring needed 2.4 swap. Unfortunately it requires premium, so I probably will send it down the road to another swapper and run a stock r/t PCM

20190210_154933 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_154938 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

the interior has a few goodies for me. Tinted windows, new carpet, new headliner and sun-visors, stock first gen console and shifter, spare amp wiring stuff, spare front door speakers, weatherstripping, and a MINT passengers side seat to take the foam from to fix the drivers side seat on the R/T. Additionally, the Styrofoam rear bumper support that has been missing from the ACR since 2012 was included in the interior. Which is AWESOME.

20190210_152648 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_155003 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_155005 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_155012 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_155040 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

in the trunk, we find a stock 96 dohc mtx ecu (for sale), carbon fiber euro taillights, and an essentially new trunk mounted battery kit.

20190210_155151 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20190210_155108 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

the really nice find? Factory jack and wrench in the factory bag

20190210_155138 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

goal is full part out. By the end of the month.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/10/19 6:49 p.m.

I do not envy the mess you got yourself in to. So much Neon. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/10/19 6:54 p.m.

I don't envy me either. Too much stuff on my propertyand in my head.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 7:21 p.m.

I, on the other hand welcome this adventure for the simple fact it's not the 'ANSWER'

Sorry MC got carried away and am down with the challenge M.....Hey what is in that little glass jar with the lid next to the penny......how much loose change have recouped toward your challenge budget?

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/19 6:56 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I honestly haven't been looking for loose change yet. And really, i need to think long and hard about how to divorece the piles into challenge budget. The acr may be the next challenge car, or the r/t may be a gastropod. Either way, i need to figure out a good breakdown on all this. Its all so tied together ....

The jar contains a very small puddle of unidentified liquid  and what appears to be rust stains. 

So i have no idea!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/11/19 7:29 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

all you can eat chinese buffet stop

They have sushi. Im happy. 

Dusterbd13-michael said:

The jar contains a very small puddle of unidentified liquid  and what appears to be rust stains.

I humbly suggest that one of these cars be named "Unagi"

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/19 8:00 a.m.

You lost me, or are way more clever than me. Care to explain?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/11/19 8:23 a.m.

I'm almost certainly less clever than part of me thinks I am

Unagi is the japanese for "freshwater eel"... frequently served grilled in soy sauce as unadon, but often is available "ala cart" at sushi places ... and, iirc... a bit of a delicacy

maybe squid (ika) is more inline?

wae
wae SuperDork
2/11/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

The weekend was a little crazy so I'm just now catching up.  I'll make my list and call you this evening!

These things are kind of like cockroaches.  Hard to kil and if you see one in your garage, there's probably several more hiding out of sight...

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/19 8:35 a.m.

Thats it! The r/t is now named the roach!!!

R/t. For roach and trailerpark.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/19 8:36 a.m.

I also look forward to the call.

Should be around most all day, until 9 or so when i go to bed....

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/19 9:53 a.m.

Ill have my list send over some time today for you. 

Side note. before you scrap the car pull the pass side seat covers off since they are the same cover side to side. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/19 10:21 a.m.

Will do! Im actually pulling the whole seat until its time as a foam donor.

Looking forward to seeing your list as well as wae.

Professor_Brap
2/11/19 11:24 a.m.

Do you want the list texted or emailed? 

The foam is the same side to side also ;)

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/19 7:17 a.m.

this is taking far longer than anticipated. 

Still have headliner, pass door, dash, and misc on the interiorto remove.

Taillights, chassis wiring, battery cables.

Rear suspension and gas tank module

Exhaust

Engine and transmission and engine bay wiring 

Then crusher

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
2/18/19 10:51 a.m.

I have a side business idea that may help with budget for you.  Next time my wife complains about my car, um, problem, you send her an email with a description of the 5 or so cars in various states of repair, assembly, dismantling, and building with about 15 pictures of cars, piles, under the house etc and I’ll send you money for getting her to say “my husband may not be that bad after all”

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/19 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

You're on! My wife could have done far better than who she married. She's also starting to quickly run out of a good sense of humor about it

Professor_Brap
2/18/19 11:28 a.m.

I help fix the good sense of humor. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Yes you did!!

It'll be fixed even gooder by stuff leaving storage and the driveway 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/19 6:10 p.m.

3 mounting bolts and a sawzall to the core support and the drivetrain comes out.

Dash parts, wiring, shifter and pedals left to pull

Then fuel tank and reae suspension and parking brake parts.

Should be done tomorrow night if i can get the cherry picker from dads.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
2/19/19 5:02 p.m.

dont forget that steering wheel cover..........and a Hep vaccine

Dusterbd13-michael
2/19/19 5:12 p.m.

I've gotten the hepatitis vaccine. However I am wondering if my tetanus is up to date ...

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
2/19/19 5:21 p.m.

What does it say about my life choices that i have had the Hep vaccine for work?

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m6pzVKefEUTbpUb343DFm62yxYYYOkyngZ7w2C7zT8GTAmB3NAKS0G2afwipZPAJ