bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/29/14 11:14 a.m.

My wife and I are considering buying our twin boys new cars. We are doing this to make my life easier, not spoil the kids. They are in college, and we'd make payments until they graduated and got jobs, then we'd sign the cars over to them to either finish paying on or sell and buy something else. I'm tired of coming home from work to unexpected needed repairs on old cars that have to work the next day.
Anyway, after looking at many cheap new cars (just online, not in person), my kids really like the CR-Z. They have a CRX now, so this kind of makes sense. But the CR-Z is a little more than I want to pay. I was trying to stay around $15k purchase price, give or take.
So my question, because I've never paid attention before, is whether there are any tax credits or similar that lower the bottom line in the purchase of a hybrid? Paleez splain to me.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
5/29/14 12:32 p.m.

There are federal and some state credits to encourage the purchase of new EVs and plug-in hybrids, but I don't know of any for traditional hybrid cars.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/29/14 12:58 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Base Jetta or leftover 2013 Fiat.

What? Did you reply in the wrong thread?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/29/14 3:12 p.m.

My sister has a CRZ, and after a year and half, no issues at all. It's a great car and surprisingly quick. There are no tax credits however. You may want to look one a year or two old, I've seen them down in the mid to low teens.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/29/14 3:20 p.m.

no credits here in ohio, or any federal that i know of.

i agree the answer here is slightly used. a two year old CRZ with records and low miles will be just as trouble free as a new one, and cost significantly less. let someone else pay the depreciation rate! :P

-J0N

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/14 5:45 p.m.

The federal credits are on plug-in vehicles, including pure electrics and hybrids. They follow the size of the battery pack, with a maximum of $7500 for vehicles with a 16kwh battery.

You'll get less than $7500 with vehicles like the Ford C-Max Energi. The Chevy Volt, Caddy ELR, and the BMW i3 REX are all hybrids that should be eligible for the full fed rebate.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/14 5:45 p.m.

Also, the CR-Z is damn cool.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/30/14 8:45 p.m.

I havent looked in a few months, but last time i checked used crz's could be had around 13k.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mtSii1tL5lHxgpIKKKo63oGKULTWMdxqvrdwHzE5sVz1KplyGAl0WsIU6XZdS8LK