1 2 3
79rex
79rex Reader
1/1/20 4:13 p.m.

I emailed tirerack.  If I get any good info in my response ill share it.  If they can give any that is. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
1/1/20 8:58 p.m.
rslifkin said:
79rex said:

doing some looking around, it looks like hankook is giving up on 15".  Tire rack now only list a 195/50/15.  What gives?  Are they planning a new release?  with as popular as 15s seem to be Im shocked they would stop making sizes for them. 

I'm thinking there might be an RS4 replacement on the horizon or something.  The number of available sizes has dropped drastically. 

I think it's more likely that they're just out of stock and hankook sucks at keeping up with demand at times. TR will often delist sizes that still exist but they have no info on when they'll be available again. A quick email to sales should tell you if that's the case or not.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/1/20 9:30 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

What's the word on the new Yokohama 052?

We tested those earlier in 2019 and saw much promise. And then Solo Nats showed that, yes, Yokohama is back. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/1/20 9:31 p.m.
79rex said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Any info on 15" widths being offered?

I'll see what I can find. I can say that our test size was not a 15. (Sorry, but when we test 15s, people complain; and when we test something else, people still complain.)

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/2/20 8:01 a.m.
dps214 said:
rslifkin said:
79rex said:

doing some looking around, it looks like hankook is giving up on 15".  Tire rack now only list a 195/50/15.  What gives?  Are they planning a new release?  with as popular as 15s seem to be Im shocked they would stop making sizes for them. 

I'm thinking there might be an RS4 replacement on the horizon or something.  The number of available sizes has dropped drastically. 

I think it's more likely that they're just out of stock and hankook sucks at keeping up with demand at times. TR will often delist sizes that still exist but they have no info on when they'll be available again. A quick email to sales should tell you if that's the case or not.

Other than the 195/50R15, the rest of the 15" sizes are gone from Hankook's site too, so it's not just TR.  

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/2/20 8:15 a.m.

When I was looking for 15" summer tires last year, the RS-4 was only offered in a 195/50/15, so this is not new.  I like my Continentals, but wonder if I would have been happier with the Kooks for competition.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/2/20 8:23 a.m.
chrispy said:

When I was looking for 15" summer tires last year, the RS-4 was only offered in a 195/50/15, so this is not new.  I like my Continentals, but wonder if I would have been happier with the Kooks for competition.

They were still listing the 245/40R15s last spring, because I ordered a set. But after waiting almost two months, and still no ETA, I cancelled the order and bought some 225/45R15 Nexen N Fera SUR4Gs (which are more like a 235-width)

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/2/20 8:46 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

How were the nexans?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/2/20 8:53 a.m.

The hankook have been available to the lucky dog series.  I know a buddy who just got a set in 245 15.

They are just short in supply right now.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/2/20 8:58 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to NickD :

How were the nexans?

Absolutely loved them. Pretty quiet on the road and did not tramline anywhere near as bad as the Rivals. Solid grip when cold and got better as they warmed up and very good in the wet. You could have fun and slide the car around on them and they didn't bite you Directional, but not asymmetrical, so you could flip them for longer life. My set went about 8000 miles, with ten or twelve autocrosses and 8 mini-track days at the local 1.1 mile race track. They actually would have lasted longer, but one of my camber eccentrics slipped to -4 degrees and I didn't notice and it chewed that one down to the carcass.

Let me put it this way, if they announced tomorrow that they were coming out with a 245-width Nexen tomorrow, I would sell the near-new 245 Rival S 1.5s I have in my basement right now and order a set.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/2/20 9:58 a.m.

I just impulse-bought the Nexen SUR4G for my 981 Cayman S. The price was too good to pass up, I got the set for less than $800. Any feedback on how these do as a track day tire?  I'm running a stock suspension and can only get 1 degree of camber, I like the fact that they're symmetrical and I can swap them left/right to get more life. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/2/20 4:03 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Thats what use them for as well.

79rex
79rex Reader
1/3/20 9:01 a.m.

if anyone is intrested in hankook news, here's my response from tirerack.  

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
1/3/20 9:10 a.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

I just impulse-bought the Nexen SUR4G for my 981 Cayman S. The price was too good to pass up, I got the set for less than $800. Any feedback on how these do as a track day tire?  I'm running a stock suspension and can only get 1 degree of camber, I like the fact that they're symmetrical and I can swap them left/right to get more life. 

They're good for about 2 laps and then they get greasy and start to wear at an accelerated rate.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/3/20 1:57 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Well that's certainly disappointing.  Guess you get what you pay for.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/20 3:13 p.m.
79rex said:

if anyone is intrested in hankook news, here's my response from tirerack.  

yes, a lot of the SCCA TT guys run them here in NTX, and I was talking with one of them and he brought to my attention that Hancook produces only at the beginning of the year. so they make a batch of all sizes and that's it for the year. so if you're wanting something specific, buy it early in the year. Calling and speaking to someone at tire rack is a way to ensure you get on the list for when something releases to ship out the day it's available.

205 50 15 stones were on backorder early in summer 2016. I called TR and they found they had some coming into NJ. I got a pair ordered at that time and had them shipped to me once they hit the dock here in the USA.

79rex
79rex Reader
1/9/20 8:37 p.m.

came across this on the Facebooks.  Intresting.  Havent heard any other rumors of a new bridgestone though.

spacecadet
1/9/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to 79rex :

it may not be, it may be.. Bridgestone makes some special motorsports oriented tires in their Japanese home market. 

I know they make one tire specifically for a one make series over there, i think it's exclusively twins in it. 

It also may TOTALLY be a new hotness we get here or something they just start baking into the current RE71R and don't tell anyone.. AKA what hoosier does sometimes. 

spacecadet
1/9/20 9:56 p.m.

https://kyodonewsprwire.jp/release/202001075449?fbclid=IwAR3gOlguFqONDbPhWBYgdNCae_MOMlzqcfuvwb4My2IKN02ZrGsLyAZoEgM

Ok, seems to be legit.. no word on when it's coming here, but translating the press release makes it sound like a true RE71R successor. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/20 10:40 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Looks like it's going to happen. I'll probably need a set of tires by May or June, so I'll be watching for reports.

I'm considering Rivals for the extreme heat that we deal with in the summer here. The current Bridgestones need to be cooled between runs, and still can get greasy after the third or fourth run. That may not change with the new design.

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/10/20 7:49 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to spacecadet :

Looks like it's going to happen. I'll probably need a set of tires by May or June, so I'll be watching for reports.

I'm considering Rivals for the extreme heat that we deal with in the summer here. The current Bridgestones need to be cooled between runs, and still can get greasy after the third or fourth run. That may not change with the new design.

I went and got rivals this time for my integra, just decided to try something else out since I'll be needing new tires in 6 months anyways. Already had like 4 sets of re71rs, but I just wanted to try something new, either way I'll probably still be behind all those pesky miatas in my class lol

79rex
79rex Reader
1/10/20 8:43 a.m.

bridgestone always seems set on making tires in OE sizes, but im really hoping they at least move away from that a little.  Otherwise itll likely be rivals for me again.  

spacecadet
1/10/20 9:17 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to spacecadet :

word on the street is that it's NOT coming to the states supposedly. 

when rivals are warm they're great, but I've learned I do some of my best driving on my first run. so stones and Yokes will continue to be my choice for now. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
1/10/20 10:11 a.m.

Officially no plans to bring it to the US, info from a Bridgestone US employee and several TR salespeople.

If it's successful I imagine it would make its way here eventually, but that would almost certainly be next year at the absolute earliest.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/10/20 12:06 p.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pJQiqBbYX7lPdtGfMKgBfXsT4aNqzIjWIMyhu3OcxPBRKOFuEd4bnDhSah2Hdowz