The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/10/12 11:02 a.m.

Only issue is that it could be hybrid...

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/articledetail.aspx?ArticleID=52578&vf=1

Bring on the FRS and BRZ competitors.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
4/10/12 11:07 a.m.

I heard about this. They want a smaller coupe than the 370z to compete with the FRS/BRZ twins. If it's hybrid, it would just be pointless then.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/10/12 11:07 a.m.

Why not just put the 1.6 turbo out of the Juke in a light, rear wheel drive car and call it a day?

I berkeleying hate hybrids.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/12 11:09 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: Why not just put the 1.6 turbo out of the Juke in a light, rear wheel drive car and call it a day?

That would be sweet! 160SX anyone?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/10/12 11:13 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: Why not just put the 1.6 turbo out of the Juke in a light, rear wheel drive car and call it a day?
That would be sweet! 160SX anyone?

Unless they made it look like a fish, which I suppose they might, I would go to the dealer buy one.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
4/10/12 11:15 a.m.

More false Nissan hope?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/10/12 11:45 a.m.

That article was written in 2008...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/12 12:15 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: That article was written in 2008...

But this came out yesterday:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/09/nissan-renews-talk-of-sub-370z-sports-car-to-take-on-subaru-brz/

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/12 12:16 p.m.
Unless they made it look like a fish, which I suppose they might, I would go to the dealer buy one.

Standard Nissan Practice would be to put the Juke in the Oven at 500 degrees for an hour and a half, melting it further into a small coupe. That's what they did to the Murano to make the Juke in the first place.

That said, I really want to like the Juke, but the styling is just too weird.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
4/10/12 1:05 p.m.

Why not just make the next gen Z car a real sports car instead of a bloated, heavy, GT?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/10/12 1:13 p.m.

Given Nissan's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a small sports coupe. It will be ugly but considering they were brave (or stupid) enough to make an answer to a question no one asked (Murano convertible), it shouldn't be surprising if they did.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/10/12 1:46 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Given Nissan's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a small sports coupe. It will be ugly but considering they were brave (or stupid) enough to make an answer to a question no one asked (Murano convertible), it shouldn't be surprising if they did.

Not to rabbit trail too much here, but I saw a Murano convertible on the road yesterday. It was ugly. Like Aztek ugly. No redeeming features I was able to discern.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/10/12 1:50 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: That article was written in 2008...

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/nissan-200z-or-250z-it-could-happen-20120407-1whni.html

That's the one I meant to link and stuck the old one in there due to reading it too.

ohms
ohms Reader
4/10/12 2:25 p.m.

i'd like to see hyundai/kia do a neat lil rwd car, something sized like the kia forte. with its looks even (i think the forte is good looking for a modern econosporty car). get that HDI or whatever its called 300hp turbo 4cyl outta the sonata/optima and mate it to a rwd drivetrain.

corytate
corytate Dork
4/10/12 3:45 p.m.

kia has been working on a small rwd car actually. I think it was going to be a 2dr vert.
and if they finally do bring in more rwd cars (which would be awesome), even if it's a hybrid it'll be ok. their 2.5 hybrid isn't too bad. the 1.6 turbo would be awesome though.
and juke's grow on you. kind of like the infiniti fx.
I see dozens a day now and am at the point where they are "neat" to me instead of just ugly.
but the murano vert is horrendous. no saving that.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
4/10/12 3:50 p.m.
ohms wrote: i'd like to see hyundai/kia do a neat lil rwd car, something sized like the kia forte. with its looks even (i think the forte is good looking for a modern econosporty car). get that HDI or whatever its called 300hp turbo 4cyl outta the sonata/optima and mate it to a rwd drivetrain.

Genesis Coupe?

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/10/12 3:51 p.m.
psteav wrote: That said, I really want to like the Juke.

WHY? As if as smaller, uglier Murano had any redeeming qualities whatsoever?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
4/10/12 4:05 p.m.

27mpg city, low 15 second 1/4 times, and handles better than it has any right to.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/10/12 4:09 p.m.
Duke wrote:
psteav wrote: That said, I really want to like the Juke.
WHY? As if as smaller, uglier Murano had any redeeming qualities whatsoever?

I'm split on the styling. My wife says it looks like a frog so therefore it is on the list of cars that we must consider.

That said it goes like stink and it handles pretty well so I'd actually consider one. Personally I like that there are automakers willing to keep it weird even if it occasionally hurts. That way we're all not driving egg shaped appliances.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/10/12 4:11 p.m.

I have been thinking about the Murano convertible and I have decided it is a good idea (not for me to buy one or anything) but small SUVs suck and convertibles are awesome so a convertible small SUV is less suckage...

corytate
corytate Dork
4/10/12 7:58 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I have been thinking about the Murano convertible and I have decided it is a good idea (not for me to buy one or anything) but small SUVs suck and convertibles are awesome so a convertible small SUV is less suckage...

somehow those maths dont work out for the murano vert. the coolness of the convertible top runs smack into the fact that it's on a murano, and in order to make it a convertible they had to muck up the interior AND exterior of an already questionably decent looking auto. the end results are terrible, but people still buy them?
we have sold a few, which is more than I would have guessed. lol

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/10/12 8:11 p.m.

Someone at Nissan realized that Isuzu didn't get it done, and they had all of these Murano parts laying around... Why not?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose New Reader
4/11/12 7:32 p.m.

The VX02
I... strangely like it.
Unsure if it should get slammed or lifted though.
For sure it needs nicer mountain bikes on the back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SA7WYjctsQc95OgTpqoBhUtDtthzjebqCGe971xjeTaHTJr2WO6fIVYh6GPmowuH