mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
7/3/11 4:18 p.m.

I got an 07 mazdaspeed the other day. I got it from some old lady with 31000 miles on it. I've never really had a fast car before and I friggin love this thing! I live in springfield mo and I thought I'd go down a backroad highway that alot of the sport bike guys ride. I mint to go a little ways but I just couldnt stop and I ended up in arkansas with the front wheels COVERED in brake dust! I've never autocrossed before but I've always wanted to and now I think I have a good car for it. Hopefully I'll get to soon.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/3/11 4:57 p.m.

Nice! Good score. 8) definitely get that thing to a nearby autocross as soon as you can find one. The guy I bought my Miata from has a red one just like that. He says it is a ball on track days, too.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
7/3/11 5:53 p.m.

Nice. Keep watch for the cops. Might want to consider a High Performance Driver's Ed event from an organization that actually provides Education. BMW CCA is usually a good club for that sort of thing.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
7/3/11 5:53 p.m.
Duke wrote: Nice! Good score. 8) definitely get that thing to a nearby autocross as soon as you can find one. The guy I bought my Miata from has a red one just like that. He says it is a ball on track days, too.

I'd really like to take it on a road course but I really dont know where the closest one is.

paul
paul Reader
7/3/11 6:06 p.m.

Awesome car, as others have said, it's a very competent track day car with some simple mods.

Just curious, how's the insurance cost?...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/3/11 6:06 p.m.

Hallet is in OK, can't be more than 4 hours away.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
7/3/11 6:11 p.m.
paul wrote: Awesome car, as others have said, it's a very competent track day car with some simple mods. Just curious, how's the insurance cost?...

I have this car and two others, my insurance went up about $100 a month. I'm 24 years old.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
7/6/11 1:51 p.m.
mtn wrote: Hallet is in OK, can't be more than 4 hours away.

Plus Heartland Park in KS, and Gateway International in St. Louis.......Also about 4hrs. away.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/6/11 2:07 p.m.
paul wrote: Awesome car, as others have said, it's a very competent track day car with some simple mods. Just curious, how's the insurance cost?...

Insurance for me, and a total of 5 cars (including one of those, same color and everything is about 150/mo. I also have one speeding ticket.

To the OP-

Well bought. First two things you want to do is A- make damn sure that rear motor mount has had the TSB done, or you replace it, or it will fail. Happened to me, and that suuuuucks. 2nd, check the rear shocks. Seems that all of them about this age, regardless of miles are starting to fail. They're cheap IIRC, I think I have about 200$ into mine, and you can do the swap with simple hand tools and a floor jack. Other than that, get some sticky rubber on it, tune it, get an intake and a mid/test pipe at least, and enjoy the ride.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
7/6/11 2:15 p.m.

In reply to mrdontplay:

I almost bought an identical car back in '07. Only reason I didn't was that I have a long commute and didn't want to have to pay for premium gas. I kind of wish I had bought it anyway. Congratulations on the purchase!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NC0UZVvBsISwDXXwDGC54QItX5wCKvYKMmPeevpnpE2Z38bc2oYwlzqUBVZlPNRU