1 ... 5 6 7 8
Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/18 12:18 a.m.

Some of the later FWD inline 6 setups were an ultra-whacky narrow inline 6 that had narrower bore spacing, and a crazy gear + chain timing setup that was on the WRONG END OF THE ENGINE!

Yes, that's on the flywheel end.  Above the transmission.

Here's more on the engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_SI6_engine

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/25/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to Matthew Kennedy :

Some may say "wrong", others may say it is an ingenious way of re-packaging components to make use of previously unused space over the transmission.  Yes, servicing the chain will require engine removal, but that is often the case with a lot of engines with chains.  They just tend not to be designed for regular service in the same way timing belt engines are.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/25/18 6:42 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I pretty much crossed the Ford off my list.  I had heard/ read about head gasket issues on the Focus.  That, coupled with Ford's eliminating it's non-Mustang car lineup after this year makes me question how well it'll be supported in, say, 7 years.  

One of the reasons we got rid of our unreliable C-Max.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
7/27/18 9:21 a.m.

In reply to drainoil :

Which is too bad, because the C-max seems like a good on-paper car.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/27/18 10:20 a.m.
Matthew Kennedy said:

Some of the later FWD inline 6 setups were an ultra-whacky narrow inline 6 that had narrower bore spacing, and a crazy gear + chain timing setup that was on the WRONG END OF THE ENGINE!

Yes, that's on the flywheel end.  Above the transmission.

Here's more on the engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_SI6_engine

Is that a gear driven alternator?  And some sort of accessory belt on the flywheel side of the engine also?

The timing chain there doesn't bother me much if its reliable.  I have never serviced one in any engine, and in the event I do, I'll likely pull the engine.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/18 11:46 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I had thought this was an updated whiteblock.

The accessories are driven by a jackshaft so they can be over the trans where there is room, instead of on the front of the engine where there isn't

volvoclearinghouse
8/16/18 9:21 a.m.

So I'd finally decided to be serious and deal on a new 3 hatch.  Only trouble is, no dealer near me seems to have one in the color I want, with the 6MT and in the Sport configuration.  

Guess my decision has been made for me, then.  indecision

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 9:27 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

So I'd finally decided to be serious and deal on a new 3 hatch.  Only trouble is, no dealer near me seems to have one in the color I want, with the 6MT and in the Sport configuration.  

Guess my decision has been made for me, then.  indecision

Yeah, have the dealer order it for you and get exactly what you want for your money?

I've done this on 3 separate occasions. Just takes patience on your end.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/16/18 9:41 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

When I bought mine, I told the dealer exactly what I wanted and they found one at a different dealer and swapped for it. Is this a possibility?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 9:55 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

When I bought mine, I told the dealer exactly what I wanted and they found one at a different dealer and swapped for it. Is this a possibility?

Yeah technically I've done:

1. Dealer swaps for the truck I want in the color/config/options I want.
2. Special order car with a deposit.

3. Dealer reserves car before it hits the port so it's mine when it gets to the lot.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
8/16/18 9:59 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I had thought this was an updated whiteblock.

The accessories are driven by a jackshaft so they can be over the trans where there is room, instead of on the front of the engine where there isn't

I meant this part:

Looks like that is a gear drive?  Or spline? 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/16/18 10:00 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I did that on my last two truck purchases. In both cases it was the salesman who did the search, the paperwork and picked them up from the other dealer

volvoclearinghouse
8/16/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It's end of model year, so basically it's down to whatever's left.  What I'd meant earlier was, my decision was made, no new car for me...

Then...

I had two separate unaffiliated dealers email me within seconds telling me they could get one, but they'd have to transfer it, so basically we had to agree on everything beforehand.  

I admit, I'm waffling.  I've never bought a new car before and I'm not sure what to do here.  Having commitment issues.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/16/18 10:37 a.m.

If they can get exactly the car you want for a price you can live with, buy it new.  I don't buy all my cars new, but I don't think it's the second worst thing to cancer, either, like some here seem to.  It's nice to get a shiny new car with 2-digit mileage once in a while.  I will probably do it for my next car.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/18 10:40 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to z31maniac :

It's end of model year, so basically it's down to whatever's left.  What I'd meant earlier was, my decision was made, no new car for me...

Then...

I had two separate unaffiliated dealers email me within seconds telling me they could get one, but they'd have to transfer it, so basically we had to agree on everything beforehand.  

I admit, I'm waffling.  I've never bought a new car before and I'm not sure what to do here.  Having commitment issues.  

Gotcha. It's a Mazda 3, not a new Corvette, go for it!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/16/18 10:41 a.m.

Do the trade and get a nice new reliable car you don't have to mess with. Just drive and enjoy. 

volvoclearinghouse
8/16/18 11:01 a.m.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.  ;-)

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/16/18 11:04 a.m.

I buy my trucks new because I have to, but buy my cars used because I can.

The difference between new and used trucks here is nothing and sometimes you can get a new truck cheaper than used

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
8/17/18 9:56 a.m.

Superfly is right.  Buy new trucks not used!  The payments on a used truck are often the same as a new truck, because higher interest rate and the deep discount you can get off list price. 

When I sold at a dealership it was normal to get paid a really great commission on any used truck sold but a New truck typically was the minimum commission. 

Cars aren’t discounted as deep typically and don’t hold their used value like trucks do.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/17/18 11:06 a.m.

I bought my 2017 Focus ST for $20k+TT&L and I know people have bought them for less before and after I bought mine.

You can run it on 87 all day long or 93 if you want. 87 results in a 9 hp drop down from 252 to 243. My lifetime average MPG is sitting at 26.1 MPG and that includes spirited driving.  

It's not without faults, occasional squeak and rattle form plastic parts, lack of a proper air/oil separator system to deal with the direct injection deposit issues. 

But I've been very happy with it and it's my 12th car in 5 years. I've owned it for 8 months now and it's about to hit 27k miles. 

volvoclearinghouse
8/17/18 8:54 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Superfly is right.  Buy new trucks not used!  The payments on a used truck are often the same as a new truck, because higher interest rate and the deep discount you can get off list price. 

When I sold at a dealership it was normal to get paid a really great commission on any used truck sold but a New truck typically was the minimum commission. 

Cars aren’t discounted as deep typically and don’t hold their used value like trucks do.  

Unless you're me, and you buy trucks that are already at the tail end of their depreciation curve,  My current truck is a '93 K3500 crew cab dually 454 5 speed that I picked up for $2500.  

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/17/18 9:23 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

You're the second person I've heard of buying one of these STs for around 20k new, that's a LOT of car for that price. 

My dad got his '15 Mazda 3 for about 22k new. It's been a great car for him, zero issues. It's not the performance car the ST is, but I've driven it very spiritedly, and it's actually very capable, and would be even more so with better tires (the OE tires are meh). 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
8/18/18 1:41 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
frenchyd said:

Unless you're me, and you buy trucks that are already at the tail end of their depreciation curve,  My current truck is a '93 K3500 crew cab dually 454 5 speed that I picked up for $2500.  

Since I use trucks for business, I can’t afford the down time maintenance costs not to mention the expense of repairs on the road. I need to buy new.  

If it’s a toy to play with I’d buy another 1946 Chevy body and put Jaguar running gear under it.  It’s like GM designed it that way.  It goes together so easy and really rides like a Jaguar.  Not to mention it goes really quick for a six and still gets 20+ mpg . 

That one was the old cast Iron six. But I think the next one would be the V12 with carbs.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/18/18 4:06 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

myself and 4 other Texas SCCA solo guys have bought them in the past 14 months for between $18.k-20k.+TT&L 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/18 7:00 p.m.

I just picked up a 4motion Sportwagen for 20 and change today. I got it for over $5500 off. Now there are not too many of them out there and it'll be my work commuter. With the lack of cheaper turbo awd cars, I got a steal. All of the Subaru in that range are gutless wonders and I feel like I have to push the CX5 around Denver. Given it'll live it's life at 6K ft and up starting next month, turbo was very high on my list. 

For those who chastise VW for emission issues, who are you going to buy given the long list of emissions cheats being uncovered. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjiVhEqP8FUY0oLGFZJQenPohHcRhMh8HYmL3FZlYKOSHnNIx2a6g0y9RLnRdUiE