Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/18 9:43 p.m.

What new diesel SUVs are out there that can tow at least 5k lbs? I can only think of these:

• Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • BMW X5
  • Land Rover Discovery
  • Jaguar F-Pace - not sure this one can tow that much with the 4 cyl diesel.

Anything else out there that I am missing?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/16/18 10:30 p.m.

Is there still a diesel MB GL? Im pretty sure there's still a diesel Cayenne too.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/18 11:46 p.m.

Not an SUV, but the Colorado ZR2 Diesel is the best of the bunch. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/17/18 8:22 a.m.

Cayenne Diesel tows 7700lbs.  So far pretty happy with ours but it just went into the dealer and got new EGT sensors and a new catalytic convertor.  Not sure Porsche nailed the new EPA tune quite right, the dealer had a few other Cayenne Diesels there with emissions related issues too...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/17/18 8:56 a.m.

Not a lot of diesel SUVs on the market. TBH your list is longer than I would have guessed. Why diesel, specifically?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/18 10:45 a.m.

There's also the Audi Q7 TDI.

Slippery
7/17/18 6:28 p.m.

I don't believe MB has any new diesel SUVS, neither do Audi or Porsche. I believe the last two share engines and there might be problems with the EPA. 

Pick-ups are completely out of the pictures as it would be for my wife and she is already hating the SUV idea. If our 328xd wagon would tow that much, she would keep it.

The reason why I want a diesel is due to the fact that my wife drives about 28k miles a year. I can recoup the money in no time just in fuel savings, plus they usually have a higher resale. 

This will be used to tow a 4600# boat.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I just got a press release that Volvo is phasing out all Diesel engines worldwide.

Fuel expense seems to be highly regional.  Some people claim that it is cheaper than 87 octane gasoline where they live.  Where I am, it tends to be a little more expensive than 93 octane, and can go as high as double what 87 octane costs.  Ironically, Diesel is much more volatile (sorry) price wise, especially in winter when home heating oil is competing with it for refinery production capability.  When HHO demand goes up, Diesel production goes down, so prices go up.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/17/18 10:46 p.m.

If our 328xd wagon would tow that much, she would keep it.

The reason why I want a diesel is due to the fact that my wife drives about 28k miles a year. I can recoup the money in no time just in fuel savings, plus they usually have a higher resale. 

Recoup the money in fuel savings over a 328? In those terms the savings would be negative. It kind of sounds like you're looking for an occasional tow vehicle to use with the boat. Why not do that and keep the 328 you just said you wanted to keep? Is parking space an issue or something like that?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/17/18 11:02 p.m.

Remember when diesels were all the rage and now they are slowly dying off? 

Slippery
7/18/18 5:38 a.m.
Vigo said:

If our 328xd wagon would tow that much, she would keep it.

Recoup the money in fuel savings over a 328? In those terms the savings would be negative. It kind of sounds like you're looking for an occasional tow vehicle to use with the boat. Why not do that and keep the 328 you just said you wanted to keep? Is parking space an issue or something like that?

No, I meant fuel savings vs the same SUV with a gas engine. 

Buying an older SUV as an extra car is not out of the picture, but I am trying to simplify my life. I would sell two cars to make this move. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/18/18 6:47 a.m.

Is 4600# the actual weight of your boat or a manufacturer supplied number?  Listed weights are notoriously light, a true wet weight with gear could easily put you over 5k if that's an advertised weight.

If you have the parking space I would seriously consider buying an old full size SUV to use only when towing the boat, especially since the wife doesn't want to drive one anyway. I think you'll get a better towing experience that way and also keep the wife happy, which is nice. Of course, you do have additional space and registration, etc costs that way.

Slippery
7/18/18 12:49 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Manufacturer’s weight is 3228 Lbs. 

Depending on how I have it loaded up its in the low 4000 Lbs. 4600 Lbs would be a worst case scenario. 

Parking is not so much a problem as is maintaining another car that would mostly sit, along with paying insurance and registration. The option is in the cards and it was the original plan, but I am trying to look at all my options. 

I have a 2006 Honda S2000 that I bought new and rarely use. I would either trade it in for something of the same value, sell it privately and buy something cheaper, or trade it in along with the 328 and get a new SUV or 1 year old one depending on what makes more sense. 

Enyar
Enyar SuperDork
7/18/18 1:04 p.m.

I'd encourage you to run the numbers and cost per mile between the diesel and a gas equivalent. I'm in a similar situation (though a lighter boat) and my next purchase will be a AWD V6 Highlander. For now the Corolla/Focus are on tow duty.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/18 1:17 p.m.
Slippery said:

What new diesel SUVs are out there that can tow at least 5k lbs? I can only think of these:

• Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • BMW X5
  • Land Rover Discovery
  • Jaguar F-Pace - not sure this one can tow that much with the 4 cyl diesel.

Anything else out there that I am missing?

I have a Quad Cab Ram that I got way cheaper than the Ecodiesel GC I was looking at and I love it. If that will work for you.

420 Ft lb and 9200 lb tow rating.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/18 1:20 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Slippery :

I just got a press release that Volvo is phasing out all Diesel engines worldwide.

Fuel expense seems to be highly regional.  Some people claim that it is cheaper than 87 octane gasoline where they live.  Where I am, it tends to be a little more expensive than 93 octane, and can go as high as double what 87 octane costs.  Ironically, Diesel is much more volatile (sorry) price wise, especially in winter when home heating oil is competing with it for refinery production capability.  When HHO demand goes up, Diesel production goes down, so prices go up.

In my area Diesel is the LEAST volatile fuel in terms of pricing. On par with 87 and I've never seen it as double the cost of 87 anywhere I have ever gone.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/18/18 2:04 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Manufacturer’s weight is 3228 Lbs. 

Depending on how I have it loaded up its in the low 4000 Lbs. 4600 Lbs would be a worst case scenario. 

Parking is not so much a problem as is maintaining another car that would mostly sit, along with paying insurance and registration. The option is in the cards and it was the original plan, but I am trying to look at all my options. 

I have a 2006 Honda S2000 that I bought new and rarely use. I would either trade it in for something of the same value, sell it privately and buy something cheaper, or trade it in along with the 328 and get a new SUV or 1 year old one depending on what makes more sense. 

Gotcha. I'm in a similar situation. 2005 Mustang that I bought new, wife drives a '14 Mazda that we're about to pay off. My current boat is small but looking at upgrading to something the same weight you're talking about. I opted for an old Grand Cherokee because I could get it cheap (and keep the Mustang) and it's rated for 6500lbs. In the future if we do the boat upgrade we will have the option of selling the GC and trading the paid for Mazda on a newer tow vehicle if we want to. Big difference is my wife loves driving a truck. Of course if she gets a brand new truck I may be getting a supercharger for my Mustang... ;-)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UJ4WdFG0BrMTIZUs3iK8cx1NAZACCgX3xlVlfcG0er0yA4dtDq7tn7bMz8cWVmu6