Storz
Storz HalfDork
9/10/08 5:43 p.m.

Well we've done some car swapping lately and I figured I should post up some pics :)

I had previously been driving a 91 Miata, however I realized I want something a little more comfy for daily driving. After much searching I was able to trade the Miata for this really clean 97 A4Q 2.8, and of course its a 5spd. Going to upgrade the suspension in the near future with Bilstein Sports and some H&R springs.

About a month ago we bought a new Smart car for my wife, well after a month of driving it the novelty wore off and it became a really small, really slow and honestly somewhat boring car. Just out of curiosity we went up an Audi dealership where a friend of mine works, came across a super clean 01 GTI VR6. Because the Smart is a hot car right now we actually got more in trade than the original sticker price on the car! They also knocked a significant amount of $$ off the GTI and we were able to walk out the door with a 90k mile, 1 owner, full records GTI!! My wife loves it, and will be doing her first autox in October!!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
9/10/08 6:45 p.m.

Wow you are quite the wheeler dealer!! Congrats on the trades, they look interesting.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/10/08 6:46 p.m.

nice golf. I always thought the smart car's were to small. (coming from a person driving a 1970 beetle)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/08 7:28 p.m.
Storz wrote: About a month ago we bought a new Smart car for my wife, well after a month of driving it the novelty wore off and it became a really small, really slow and honestly somewhat boring car.

That speaks volumes in my book.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
9/10/08 7:35 p.m.

I think if you live in a downtown major city (ie NYC, Chicago) and never have to travel outside of the city, or have a 2nd car then a Smart is a good idea.

We put about 1400 miles on my wife's in the month we had it and averaged about 32-36mpg combined driving...not bad but certainly not worth the sacrifices you make to own the Smart.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/08 7:10 a.m.

Hmmmm...sounds like I should buy a Smart, drive it for a month & trade it in on a new Fit...

Carson
Carson Reader
9/11/08 12:51 p.m.

You sure do like black wheels

Nice cars.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
9/11/08 4:46 p.m.
Carson wrote: You sure do like black wheels Nice cars.

yeah its the quick fix for old, nasty brake dusted up wheels :)

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/11/08 5:05 p.m.

If I have the timeline correct, you had a Smart and a Miata at the same time. Which one did you call "the big car?"

From a Smart to a VR6. That should be some noticable difference in mpg?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/08 6:21 p.m.

For some reason that Audi looks like a rally car to me. Can you make it so?

Storz
Storz HalfDork
9/11/08 7:37 p.m.

haha I wish, I really think that I am going to keep the Audi stock and just drive it for a while and then get a 1.8t GTI - I really, really like it and I'm pretty picky on cars.

The smart actually had quite a bit more room inside than the Miata, although oddly the Miata was more comfortable and got about the same gas mileage

Rigmaster
Rigmaster New Reader
9/11/08 7:37 p.m.
Storz wrote: We put about 1400 miles on my wife's in the month we had it and averaged about 32-36mpg combined driving...not bad but certainly not worth the sacrifices you make to own the Smart.

DOOD!

You must have had those gerbils wound out to the max. Even my beater POS 318ti gets around 30 mpg in mixed daily driving- and that's not with a light right foot either.

The Haudi Doody looks good!! And so does the GTi. Just don't let the Mrs beat you or you'll never live it down......

;)

Storz
Storz HalfDork
9/15/08 4:01 p.m.

haha Bret trust me the GTI has already left me in the dust more than once, that little thing is quick!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gOgbFnUVayKdoYuuiNIce72E76DWEynZqhxn0BNQfc8xrtPz0Co9BZCkGE0EYKwp