1 2 3 ... 8
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/17/14 11:09 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-official-photos/

Wow to a durable flat plane crankshaft!! I want to know more.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/17/14 11:28 a.m.

Cool! Actual confirmation from Ford. I wondered if the flat plane crank was just a rumor.

Will
Will SuperDork
11/17/14 11:29 a.m.

Confirmed on Ford's media site. This appears to be legit, not another internet wish list.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/17/14 11:36 a.m.

That looks spectacular.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 11:40 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

What makes the flat plane crank non-durable?

Seems like it would be a TON more durable than the 90 deg throws.

The problem with the flat crank is NVH- there's a secondary shaking that's hard to deal with- now you have it in two planes.

But durability wise- instead of 8 throws, there are only 4. Thats easier to make and stronger at the same time.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
11/17/14 12:08 p.m.

Knowing that this Mustang will be sold overseas makes me feel a bit patriotic. America.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/17/14 12:20 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I think there's an issue with blocks & main saddles not having enough meat to deal with the forces exerted by a flat-plane crank in certain situations. I don't think the crank itself is the problem.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/17/14 12:20 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to tuna55: What makes the flat plane crank non-durable? Seems like it would be a TON more durable than the 90 deg throws. The problem with the flat crank is NVH- there's a secondary shaking that's hard to deal with- now you have it in two planes. But durability wise- instead of 8 throws, there are only 4. Thats easier to make and stronger at the same time.

I was under the impression that those dynamic events affected the longevity, not just NVH. This was the reason I understood that flat plane cranks haven't existed in V8s outside of the exotic world. Am I wrong?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 12:30 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to alfadriver: I think there's an issue with blocks & main saddles not having enough meat to deal with the forces exerted by a flat-plane crank in certain situations. I don't think the crank itself is the problem.

edit-... I'm not sure why that would be- v8's all share throws with each bank, so the bearing surfaces shouldn't change much. Same number of bearings, same sharing of throws, just different angles- ones that are really easy to make.

It's just a bigger version of a 4 cyl crank.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 12:33 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to tuna55: What makes the flat plane crank non-durable? Seems like it would be a TON more durable than the 90 deg throws. The problem with the flat crank is NVH- there's a secondary shaking that's hard to deal with- now you have it in two planes. But durability wise- instead of 8 throws, there are only 4. Thats easier to make and stronger at the same time.
I was under the impression that those dynamic events affected the longevity, not just NVH. This was the reason I understood that flat plane cranks haven't existed in V8s outside of the exotic world. Am I wrong?

The same effect would be on all 4 cyl engines, if that were the case. Like I just posted, this crank is just a longer version of a 4 cyl.

But I'd have to check for a better reason. NVH is a pretty big deal, and a 90deg v8 is very nicely ballanced with a 90 deg crank. Way better than a 4 cyl.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
11/17/14 12:38 p.m.

That'll look freakin' awesome...on my son's Xbox game...'cause that's as close as I'll ever get to driving one.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
11/17/14 12:51 p.m.

I don't understand why folks say this engine sounds so good, doesn't sound good to me at all.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/17/14 12:59 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

My understanding is the same forces that create worsened NVH characteristics make life harder on the bearings & saddles.

Can't you just go across the bar where the other automotive engineers hang out and ask the guys at Fiat Group why the Lancia Thema 8.32 got a 90 degree crank in place of the 180 degree unit that came stock in that engine? Having worked with Italian engineers I'm sure the answer will be spat out in rapid fashion with much hand waving but I'm sure they did it for a reason.

Will
Will SuperDork
11/17/14 1:11 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I don't understand why folks say this engine sounds so good, doesn't sound good to me at all.

When it comes to subjective matters, the "why" part is typically pretty hard to explain. "Because" is the best I can do for you.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/17/14 1:13 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I don't understand why folks say this engine sounds so good, doesn't sound good to me at all.

You are entitled to your opinion, but this particular one is completely wrong.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/14 1:17 p.m.

I think it sounds good, this is a car I might buy if I had the money for it and all the gas it would suck down

I have just one problem: Why call it an all-day track car and then offer a "track pack" option that includes the oil and gearbox coolers?

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/17/14 1:23 p.m.

Scion and Subaru really did their homework on this one!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 1:57 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to alfadriver: My understanding is the same forces that create worsened NVH characteristics make life harder on the bearings & saddles. Can't you just go across the bar where the other automotive engineers hang out and ask the guys at Fiat Group why the Lancia Thema 8.32 got a 90 degree crank in place of the 180 degree unit that came stock in that engine? Having worked with Italian engineers I'm sure the answer will be spat out in rapid fashion with much hand waving but I'm sure they did it for a reason.

Just talked to a few people- it's NVH. And the cost to mititgate the NVH issue.

Plus, the benefit to having super tuned exhaust really does not show to high revs (in a cost constrained world). So it's a nice trick to have decent low end torque and and engine that makes 500hp with only 400lb-ft.

If this peaks AT 400lb-ft- the peak power is just north of 6500rpm. And I'm sure peak torque isn't at peak power, so figure peak power is near 7000rpm, redline just above that. And that does cost money.

As for the Lancia- I'm going out on a limb here- I'm going to guess that the FWD Thema is a luxury car, which means NVH is more of an issue. And it being FWD, super high engine speeds and power isn't as needed. Drop in a 90deg crank, all is good.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 1:57 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I think it sounds good, this is a car I might buy if I had the money for it and all the gas it would suck down I have just one problem: Why call it an all-day track car and then offer a "track pack" option that includes the oil and gearbox coolers?

moneys$$ss

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/17/14 2:31 p.m.

Oh it does.....it has a strangely sinister note to it. Especially as we've already heard it during testing at the Nurburgring.

armt350
armt350 New Reader
11/17/14 3:35 p.m.

That sound is music! Just as I was worried that ford forgot what ears are for after hearing the ecoboost.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/17/14 3:37 p.m.
Will wrote:
When it comes to subjective matters, the "why" part is typically pretty hard to explain. "Because" is the best I can do for you.

Because Supercar Noises?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/14 3:55 p.m.

How much $$?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/17/14 4:06 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Thanks for asking around. And yeah, the Thema was kind of a near-luxury car, and FWD. So losing a bit of power & making it easier to drive on the street vs the Ferrari 308 installation was probably a design goal. I stand corrected on the bearings / longevity.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/17/14 4:26 p.m.

I'm no where near a Ford fan and have never really liked Mustangs in general. But the only positive I have ever been able to say about them is they sound good. In my opinion the Coyote makes better music than the one in the video going around the ring. I'm with plance, it doesn't sound good to me.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zktiVRBJWKIpORRi85s11Ry9ZtXuYzUEywSjgbytmvIJtQsrc8EcPVWThVVsWpQK